GS Applicants... US & IMG

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Celiac Plexus

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was browsing the NRMP web site and took a look at their pdf docs on matching stats for the last few years. It appears as if out of the thousand or so applicants over that span, between 20-30% are IMGs... The number of US seniors last year was around 680 (if I recall correctly although don't quote me on that:) ). Therefore, it would seem that US seniors should have absolutely no problem matching at a preferred program. Any comments? I could have read the table incorrectly... but if not, it would seem that as long as you're a US senior, you could basically walk into gensurg...

As an aside, recently at an interview, the prgram director informed us applicants that out of 400 or so applicants to the program, about 100 were IMGs... She claimed that none of the IMGs received an invitation to interview... This really doesn't make sense to me considering the numbers that I saw on the NRMP web site. Any comments?

Members don't see this ad.

Originally posted by Celiac Plexus
As an aside, recently at an interview, the prgram director informed us applicants that out of 400 or so applicants to the program, about 100 were IMGs... She claimed that none of the IMGs received an invitation to interview...

Oh my...that PD shouldn't say that - and, since the PD is a "she", she wouldn't be difficult to track down. Why not say that? Because it is illegal to reject someone simply because of their FMG status. Although they could say that none of them met their criteria, all that would have to be shown is an applicant with inferior numbers that got interviewed - which would make one have to think fast.

I dont really know what those numbers mean, but from what I've gathered from gossiping on the interview trail and reading this forum I know for a fact that IMG's are getting interviews at some places that the AMG's are being rejected from.

From my personal experience alone I just met a fellow last week who was really surprised that me as an IMG got an interview at a major program that he got rejected from. To be honest, It really surprises me too!! Of course this is more of an exception than rule too.

Although I think what happens is the secretary screens by board scores and offers interviews to people who may not have any realistic chances of getting in.

who knows, just hurry up match day. i am getting tired of interviewing!!

Members don't see this ad :)
What she said is not illegal. She said that none of the FMGs received an invite to interview. That is a simple fact. She didn't say we refuse to interview FMGs, or that they didn't get invites because they were FMGs.

As I said, if someone with less numbers got interviewed, it would be hard to justify it - especially if some shady lawyer subpoenas, and they put on a graph colored one for FMG, one for USMG, the board scores of who got interviewed - unless all USMG's are higher than all FMG's (statistically very unlikely), then, there's convincing evidence; in civil court, all you need is a preponderance of the evidence.

It pushes credulity to say that all apps were reviewed anonymously, and it just happened that the FMG's didn't make it (which is what a lawyer would say, but much more persuasively).

It's a bummer to mention barristers, but is equivalent to the flawed logic that goes into putting all your faith in US med school admissions committees.

Originally posted by ortho2003
What she said is not illegal. She said that none of the FMGs received an invite to interview. That is a simple fact. She didn't say we refuse to interview FMGs, or that they didn't get invites because they were FMGs.

Wow. You should have studied law. :)