GS CBT scores vs. Real CBT scores

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

tourniquet1963

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
if you practiced with GS tests, how did they compare to the real Mcat scores? Thanks guys!

Members don't see this ad.

I only took the free one, and I took it when I probably wasn't at '40' level. I got a 34. Take it for what its worth. I found that free one trickier than the MCAT.

Actually, a 34 on GS is probably 40 level for some of the aamcs or kaplans. Their curve is extremely unforgiving.

Their curve isn't actually unforgiving in PS and BS, I looked into it when I took the tests. The questions are just trickier and the curve is basically "AAMC standard" with a few ridiculous parts of the curve in VR. I.e. 10/11/12/13 in VR are all raw pt from each other, and the low end of the VR is harsh.

I think I averaged a 31 on the ones I took, but I don't know what to think. The BS questions usually have very poor question stems and answer choices, the PS really, really, really tries to trick you, and the VR is just too easy. Overall, I don't think I've ever seen anyone do worse on AAMC's than GS. Usually people do a good deal better on AAMC, but the VR is just too easy, and it really throws things off, IMHO.

Members don't see this ad :)
Their curve isn't actually unforgiving in PS and BS, I looked into it when I took the tests. The questions are just trickier and the curve is basically "AAMC standard" with a few ridiculous parts of the curve in VR. I.e. 10/11/12/13 in VR are all raw pt from each other, and the low end of the VR is harsh.

I think I averaged a 31 on the ones I took, but I don't know what to think. The BS questions usually have very poor question stems and answer choices, the PS really, really, really tries to trick you, and the VR is just too easy. Overall, I don't think I've ever seen anyone do worse on AAMC's than GS. Usually people do a good deal better on AAMC, but the VR is just too easy, and it really throws things off, IMHO.

were you able to get your hands on a conversion table? If so, could you post it here? I was consistently getting a point or two higher on AAMC PS and thats with an average of about three to four questions wrong per PS sections, about 1 point higher on AAMC BS. As for verbal, I think you have to get around 33 right to get a 10, and pardon me if am wrong but I think 33 right would get you an 11 and up on most of the AAMCs.

No "actual" conversion table, I just happened to have raws that enabled me to compare after a few tests of my own to decipher the approximate conversion. In addition, if you scour the forums enough you can put together the conversion fairly well.

Yeah, you're right with VR. 33 is an 11 in most AAMC tests, but not in GS. 36=12, 35=11, 34=10, 33,32,(maybe more)=9. Its a ridiculous scale. I varied only 3-4 raw points in my VR for GS and that made my scaled score also vary about 3 pts! But, I think its a relatively fair conversion considering that, IMHO, the questions are far too easy in GS (at least in comparison to some of the EK stuff).