GS Prelim/Categorical Applicant: Is ABSITE reported earlier than program ROL creation?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Spinietzschon

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

The Rank Order List Certification Deadline for applicants this year is 2/21; unsure what program deadline for ROL is but I presume around the same time. ABSITE FAQ's says it comes out early March.

The question is, in programs where GS prelims do ABSITE, does ABSITE even come into play for GS Prelims reapplication, or does it not due to coming out after programs have to submit the applicant ROL based on other (available) factors anyway?

I intend to prepare seriously for the ABSITE regardless but am curious if anyone has experienced insight into this aspect of the typical GS Prelim strategy/dynamic.

Thank you.

Members don't see this ad.

It used to result after the match list was due, but there has been a big push to have those results earlier and thus a part of evaluating prelim applications. Last year was the first time we had them early enough to be a factor, and I would consider that to be a trend -- last year at the APDS (program directors meeting), there was a lot of discussion about moving the ABSITE up into the fall/early winter months to ensure we had that data before rank lists were due

Reactions: 1 user
Hello,

The Rank Order List Certification Deadline for applicants this year is 2/21; unsure what program deadline for ROL is but I presume around the same time. ABSITE FAQ's says it comes out early March.

The question is, in programs where GS prelims do ABSITE, does ABSITE even come into play for GS Prelims reapplication, or does it not due to coming out after programs have to submit the applicant ROL based on other (available) factors anyway?

I intend to prepare seriously for the ABSITE regardless but am curious if anyone has experienced insight into this aspect of the typical GS Prelim strategy/dynamic.

Thank you.

Usually not. However, there's a really chance you won't match and your ABSITE will be back for soap or other attempts to find a position after the match

Reactions: 1 user