brado

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2009
Michigan
Status
Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
My lab TA is writing a letter for me, and sending it to my professor to sign. However, she says "Why don't you write up a draft for me so I have an idea about your background and how you want the letter to be? When ever you are ready just send me the draft and info about where to send it. I'll revise it and send it to Dr. xxxxxx and he can sign and send it for you. Good luck."
I offered to send her my personal statement, CV, etc to aid her in writing it. This seems like a double edged sword. I could write whatever I want, but I don't want to go overboard. Outside of the lab, she doesn't really know what I do. Should I integrate my ECs into the draft somehow? She doesn't really know things like why I want to be a doctor, but I presume most letter writers (at least professors from big state schools) don't know why their subjects want to be doctors. I don't want her to get the wrong impression from my draft, i.e. her knowing me better than she actually does. But I also can't help but think that she doesn't really care, will barely change my draft, and once the professor gets it, it doesn't really matter.

Any advice?

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
Use the search engine, "Write my own letter" "write own letter" "write own LOR" etc. Has been discussed a lot I believe.

Dec 3, 2009
Tallahassee
Status
Pre-Medical
this isn't unheard of. Ive read stories of this happening numerous times. take warning, however, if you were to overstep your boundaries, so to speak, in such a way that the prof were to get a negative impression, i.e. think you're arrogant. I am sure that won't happen, but the point is to be modest, humble, yet be sure to reflect the character traits that radiate from you on a daily basis. when the prof reads it to sign it, im sure hell know if your blowing smoke, yknow?

VTBuc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 13, 2009
Roanoke, VA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
An employer of mine told me I could write my LOR. I considered it unethical and didn't do it. I'd feel even worse if it were a professor or someone else in an academic setting.

Feb 18, 2013
Status
I was told that TAs and GSIs are not supposed to write letters of recommendation. It is actually not in their job description and not part of what they do. Usually, one has to approach the professor directly. Although, I could be mistaken.