GSurge residency malpractice claims

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

JackADeli

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I was talking to a resident and thinking about factors in choosing a residency. I heard in some programs and/or parts of the country, up to and over 60% of the graduating residents will be named in malpractice suits for cases they were involved in during residency. Also, read somewhere in the Gensurgery publications/periodicals something about a trend of attendings declaring lack of knowledge on the part of residents.....

I was curious if applicants are now including this line of questioning when interviewing for programs? Do applicants and or residents find this conversation exchange occurring more often?

Members don't see this ad.

As an upcoming applicant, that is something I am absolutely interested in. Especially that last part about "declaring a lack of knowledge on the part of the resident". I hadn't heard that before.

However to be honest, I won't be asking that question, atleast not to any attendings because I think it would be difficult to ask such a question in a tactful way without sounding atleast somewhat accusatory.

If any residents have had problems with having legal issues pushed their way, I would really appreciate hearing about it.

There is a "throw away" little newspaper like publication for surgery. About two years ago, they had an article about surgical attendings being removed from lawsuits and residents becoming primary sued party as attending testified that they were not aware of of the residents actions on-call/during the night or something..... I haven't read it for long time. But, it suggested it was increasingly the trend.

I wouldn't ask attendings either, but you might ask residents at interview what is the malpract environment and/or suits against residents, etc.... As residents, we often find ourselves doing things that we don't understand or question if it is correct practice as we "haven't seen it in the book". As we lack experience, we often take much on faith (in attending) and read about unusual clinical decisions after they have occurred...

JAD

There is a "throw away" little newspaper like publication for surgery. About two years ago, they had an article about surgical attendings being removed from lawsuits and residents becoming primary sued party as attending testified that they were not aware of of the residents actions on-call/during the night or something..... I haven't read it for long time. But, it suggested it was increasingly the trend.

I remember reading the same thing.

It used to be that the attending protected the residents at all costs, and the article noted that more and more were being advised/choosing to lay blame on the resident.