Guaranteed Interview at KCOM for next year

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

mr russon

10+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score

Members don't see this ad.

I just received in the mail today a letter from KCOM stating that my file has been cancelled for this year, but I have been granted an guranteed interview for next year. Well here is the dilema: I'm all ready and set to attend LECOM in apprx. 5 weeks. KCOm was my first choice, but they put me on hold so long, I had to go with LECOM. What are anyones thoughts on what my options may be. Im not giving up this spot at LECOM, but is there a way to do my 1st year there, and then transfer to KCOM? If anyone has any knowledge in this area , a response would be greatly appreciated.

I agree that you shouldn't give up your seat. A bird in the
hand... As for transferring, I can only tell you that it is
sometimes allowed. We had a student that transferred to UHS
after spending his first yr somewhere else, but I don't know
how he handled it. I would just call KCOM and ask them as I'm
sure this kind of thing has happened before. Also, I know it
will depend upon how many students fail the first yr (extra
seats) vs those remediating the second year (they'd probably
have priority over transfers). Good luck and congrats on your
acceptance!

Members don't see this ad :)
Call Kirksville and tell them that you know of a student (me- Cliff Segil) who has released his seat in the upcoming class. Impress them by telling them you found this out on-line and ask them how they deal with assigning these type of vacancies as they arise.

I would think this would make you stand out- and would consider it your last at bat for this season. If they do not reply favorably- go to school - where you are accepted.

The admissions process is such a crapshoot.

g-luck.
hope this helps.
cliff

oh yeah- acknowledge that your file is currently closed, but that you are contacting them because their school is your first choice. Do not forget to mention that you are holding an acceptance now, and will if accepted, loose your deposit at the other school happily.

[This message has been edited by cliff (edited June 05, 1999).]

you'll get into kcom if you reapply.
save up for a year.

How can I be sure? i dont know if I can take this chance.

TAKE THE SEAT AT LECOM YOU HAVE NOW. Don't listen to the nonsense advice from Alexander DeLarge. Admissions is a crazy game. I was on a wait-list at an MD school the first time I applied to medical school. The next year, even though I improved my MCAT (what they told me kept me out) by several points, I DID NOT EVEN GET AN INTERVIEW that time around! I wrote them, but they didn't care. So, take what you have. Then at least you can try to transfer to Kirksville. I was in a similar position as you this year also. I decided to take the "bird in the hand". I don't regret it at all since I really like the school I will be attending this fall anyway. Here's one more idea:

See if you can defer your acceptance at LECOM til the next year. Then try to get into Kirksville, and if you don't at least you will have LECOM. Some schools only grant deferments under special circumstances, so it may not be allowed. I would look into it. Then you can work for a year to save money, and you will know you have a spot in the 2004 class. But, I would just go to LECOM if I were you and get your medical career going. Good luck!

I know you have your own personal reasons for wanting to go to KCOM but I think you will be setting yourself up for a lot of unnecessary uncertainty and possible problems if you defer or transfer later. The opportunity to go to a school anywhere doesn't come around often.

If you start at LECOM and try to transfer to KCOM later is it really worth it? The amount of time you'll spend concerned about making the move and whether it will be approved could be better spent learning the material being taught. Unless you have a personal reason that involves family I would stick with LECOM. And if you're concerned about residency opportunites, I know there are several students that can attest to the fact that your residency has more to do with YOU and your motivation to learn than what school you attend.

try a deferral then. hate to see you not get your first choice

This is what I think. If you get accepted to a school one year, you will almost definately be accepted if you re-apply. Schools give priority to applications they have previously accepted. They want you to go to their school! I'm surprised that DO schools don't spend more time and effort actively recruiting. Anyhow, the safe bet in your situation (and the smart move) is to get a deferral and then apply to the other school(s) you would rather get into. In the meantime, you work and save some money for next year. You'll be needing that money later. Try not to be pressured by the fact that your entire life revolves around the decisions you will make in the next few weeks. Follow your instincts. Be aggressive! Whatever you do, decide and do not look back. The only wrong decision is indecision.

Alexander DeLarge

DO schools and MD schools don't recruit anymore (like they did in the mid to late 80's) because they don't need to. Look at how many applicants there are per seat. And most of these applicants are quality applicants since pre-med has a way of weeding out undesirables. Of course, there are exceptions.
Remember, if you turn down a school one year, some may take it as an insult. I went to an interview in March at a highly ranked allopathic institution, and made this mistake. The interviewer said I would have a tough choice, since I was accepted at a few other schools. Without thinking, I replied, yes I will, instead of reiterating I wanted to go there (but, in reality I guess I really didn't care that much). I was not accepted, even though the interview was great up to the end when the stupid statement was made by me. I was rejected, and out of curiousity I wrote them. I found out it is because they saw that I did not value their university the way they felt I should have. So, my point is that it could be taken as an insult by LECOM if he doesn't go there, and they might not reaccept him the next year (this is why I said get a deferral to lock it up). Also, there is my experience at SLU I wrote above.

I have to admit - Synergy s'got a good point. It's not like med schools are lacking applicants. I personally wouldn't want to delay my admission to med school by a year just bc/ I didn't get into the school I like best.
Look on the bright side of things - at LECOM, you'll be an ms-1 (this FALL) and a Doc in 4 years. All you have right now at KCOM is a possible interview - not an acceptance.
--later--
Nicolas
WesternU'03

I would take the seat! Admissions is a strange creature. I am sure we have all heard the stories about strange rejections and or acceptances. If you have been given the opportunity to become a physician...take it and work hard to be the best physician you can be! Good luck!

Matt

Synergy, Russo, et all..

Your point is definately worth taking.
What I suggest is that Mr. Russo seek and
obtain a deferral. That allows him to
re-apply at other schools without risk.
Additionally, you can use that extra year
to travel or save money for school. You
are at a point where you will not get many
more chances to take a long vacation. I
would go to europe, see the world, volunteer
with physicians overseas. That kind of
experience would impress any school. But
I agree with you that risk should probably
not be taken. If you can get a defferal,
which most schools offer, then take it. If
not, go to LECOM this year. Also, Synergy,
you should note that according to AACOM,
applications were actually down about 2,000
from last year. I am 90% sure that Mr.
Russo, or anyone re-applying, would get at
least as many offers the second time around.

I agree with you synergy. However, if he
can get a defferal it would afford him an
incredible, risk-free opportunity. Think
about it. If you defer, you can take the
year off and relax because you are already
in. Also, you can re-apply to the schools
that turned you down the previous year.
What I would do is seek the deferral. If
you do not get it, fine, no big deal. You
go this year. It's what you would have
done anyway. But if you get the deferral
you can do whatever you want. I would go
to Europe for a few months. I'd set up
a shadowing program with some english DO.
That kind of thing would impress the heck
out of any school. How many more chances
would you have to do this? Or, work for
a year and save your money. You're going
to need it. Pay off your credit cards
before you start school. The possibilities
are endless. Also, look on AACOM's website.
Applications to DO schools dropped since
last year. 2,000 fewer applications. It
is my best guess that if you re-apply,
you'll get at least one additinal offer.
Had he got into his first choice then I
would definately tell him to start this
year.

Dear all,

From what I underatand most schools will only offer a differal for certain extreme conditions. I might be wrong, but I agree it is worth looking into!

Matt

Take your seat and be happy, and feel fortunate you actually have a seat to sit in. Most students are bumming because they were rejected. And the people that get in, the majority of us don't get our first choice schools. We are just lucky to get into 1 school, let alone our top choice! It really is a crazy notion, once your in somewhere, we all want something better! I had the same thoughts. Before getting accepted, I was thinking, my gosh, I hope I just get in somewhere. Then, shortly after being accepted, I wanted in somewhere else, something better, more fitting to my needs. Good luck, don't gamble your future away by passing up this opportunity. There is a good chance it might not choose you next time around!

libuser, I totally agree with you and I can relate to the grass is always greener mentality. It seems like I keep doing this, and I hate it about myself. First its Oh I hope I get in somewhere, then its Man, I wish I could go there instead. We should all feel fortunate that we are going to attain our dreams with hard work and that we are entering a very elite profession. Not too many people ever make it as "far" as us. We are very fortunate indeed. Take the seat and be happy.

The applications process is a crapshoot. I ended up getting interviews were I didn't expect to be, and I got rejected from schools I thought would be easy to get into. I think you should go ahead and go to LECOM. You would feel terrible if you deferred, and then did not get accepted to KCOM. You'd have to explain to LECOM your plans to wait for an acceptance the next year anyways, and I doubt they would let you defer for this reason.

EDGAR

Relax and enjoy life for what is worth!!! Take that year off, defer, and go to where your heart desires.

"relax and go where your heart desires"? Know way, rarely does anyone get to go where their heart desires, very few of us. Besides, many schools put restrictions on you after you defer. Often, this includes not participating in the application process. Admission committees are not dumb, people have tried every trick in the book. They are not going to look very favorably on you going through the app. cycle as soon as you defer. If they catch you, they usually reserve the right to withdraw your spot. Not worth it, read the fine print before you do anything!!