guaranteed med school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

EVIL06

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I heard that some schools have a "guaranteed med school acceptance" program which you apply to after your sophomore year of college. I heard SUNY had one but what are some others? oh and what are the requirements (ex. do i have to attend that college)??

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

Tulane has one for New Orleans undergrads (Tulane, Loyola, Xavier, Dillard...). If you've finished your premed reqs by the end of sophomore year with a 3.6 GPA, you basically go through the application process (essays, interview) right then. The plus side is, if you get in, you don't have to take the MCAT at all. You find out that summer, but it's non-binding so I think most people who get in end up applying to other places too. Good luck!

It is called early assurance. I was accepted into SUNY upstate's program. Its not binding and did not require mcats. You apply after ur soph yr with college gpa, hs gpa, sat score, and 2 teacher recs. U interview late summer and letters of acceptance go out 3 weeks later. Its a great program that takes away a lot of the stress of applying to other schools if u decided to take the mcats, like i did. I know Msms has a similar program but it wants liberal art students. does that answer ur question?
cheers
-mike

Members don't see this ad :)
NYU has a 6 year BS/MD program that only accepts like 10 people per year, but you have to apply in your Sr. year of high school.
I think either Boston or Brown does something like this as well, but I could be mistaken.

SUNY Upstate has an early acceptance program that you apply to at the end of sophomore year. There is an SAT cutoff to limit applications. (I think 1300-1350) I believe they get about 125 applications, interview ~50, and then accept 20-25. I believe you can be from any college and apply bc i met people from all over when I interviewed in '04, although I think they may favor some of the Upstate NY schools. If accepted you enter after you graduate college. (you still have to fill out the AMCAS, but you dont have to take the MCAT) Its nonbinding on their part so you are free to apply other places if you feel like in senior year.

I believe SUNY Buffalo has a similar program, but it is binding.

The College of William and Mary (Williamsburg, VA) has one with Eastern Virginia Medical School. You apply your freshman year.

Virginia Commonwealth University also has one with their undergraduate campus. But you apply for it at the same time as you apply there for undergrad.

preppy36 said:
SUNY Upstate has an early acceptance program that you apply to at the end of sophomore year. There is an SAT cutoff to limit applications. (I think 1300-1350) I believe they get about 125 applications, interview ~50, and then accept 20-25. I believe you can be from any college and apply bc i met people from all over when I interviewed in '04, although I think they may favor some of the Upstate NY schools. If accepted you enter after you graduate college. (you still have to fill out the AMCAS, but you dont have to take the MCAT) Its nonbinding on their part so you are free to apply other places if you feel like in senior year.

I believe SUNY Buffalo has a similar program, but it is binding.
Just to clarify a few points, they don't favor NY students in the Upstate program since they're trying to get the best students in the country. Also, I can tell you that the average GPA for the early assurance program is 3.75-3.80. Hope this helps.

thanks ill definately look into this next year. and do they really look at high school gpa/SAT??? cause mine is pretty bad.

Go to suny upstate's website and look under early assurance program. they require a 1350sat and 3.5 undergrad gpa
-mike