Guaranteed Programs - Louisville, Nova Southeastern, Toledo/Case Western - thoughts?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WaitingInCPA

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Our son is currently a senior in high school and wants to become a dentist. He has applied (and been accepted) to the following schools:
  • West Virginia University
  • University of Louisville
  • University of Toledo
  • Nova Southeastern University

We live in Pennsylvania, so any of those schools will be OOS for us.

Louisville and Nova Southeastern both have guaranteed admission programs to their dental schools. He is currently working on those applications. And Toledo has a combined 3+4 program with Case Western that he is applying to.

Does anyone have any thoughts on any of these schools, and/or their guaranteed admission programs?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Members don't see this ad.

I can't comment on any of the programs, but I think it's great you are so involved in your son's success. Best of luck to him!

I find that forums like this are a great source of information. Ultimately the decision will be his (with input from us), but it is always best to make your decision with as much information as possible.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
By the time he matriculates wouldn't he be in-state wherever he goes to undergrad? In that case going to a public school like Louisville or WVU would save him (or you) a lot of money. If that's not the case and he is locked in as OOS I've read the most/best on Louisville's program and the least on WVU. From what I know they are all solid though and may come down to where he could see himself living for the next 7-8 years.

West Virginia is very OOS unfriendly with regards to their dental school so going there for undergrad really isn't going to help much.

Being from PA i'm surprised you have not looked into Temples 4+3 program.

Im no expert on any of the 7 year dual programs so can't help on that. But those two little facts I do know off the top of my head.

West Virginia is very OOS unfriendly with regards to their dental school so going there for undergrad really isn't going to help much.

Being from PA i'm surprised you have not looked into Temples 4+3 program.

Im no expert on any of the 7 year dual programs so can't help on that. But those two little facts I do know off the top of my head.

He doesn't have any interest in attending Temple. I've suggested it, because he would qualify for nice undergrad scholarship money. The other thing is that their 3+4 program is not a guaranteed program.

And we were told that WVU's order of preference was in state applicants and then OOS that attended WVU for undergrad. Doesn't make it true, but that is what someone in the Dental school told us when we toured it.

By the time he matriculates wouldn't he be in-state wherever he goes to undergrad? In that case going to a public school like Louisville or WVU would save him (or you) a lot of money. If that's not the case and he is locked in as OOS I've read the most/best on Louisville's program and the least on WVU. From what I know they are all solid though and may come down to where he could see himself living for the next 7-8 years.
Not sure how that works. I think it is controlled by each state's government. I got the impression from Louisville that once you start as OOS, you remain OOS.

I can only speak about Nova because that is the only dual program I applied to and I am currently in the 3+4 program. The dual dental program is really prestigious and Nova's undergrad is really what you make of it. There are many opportunities to shadow, do research and become a leader on campus. Nova is private so consider the cost of the dental school before enrolling.

Most 3+4 dual students I know weren't able to get accepted into other dental schools because they wouldn't graduate with a BS degree. If your son has college credits from high school, he might be able to graduate with a degree in 3 years and apply out.

If your son has college credits from high school, he might be able to graduate with a degree in 3 years and apply out.

Many dental schools do not take HS credits like AP etc for pre-reqs so be careful what classes you are taking as replacement for college.

I can only speak about Nova because that is the only dual program I applied to and I am currently in the 3+4 program. The dual dental program is really prestigious and Nova's undergrad is really what you make of it. There are many opportunities to shadow, do research and become a leader on campus. Nova is private so consider the cost of the dental school before enrolling.

Most 3+4 dual students I know weren't able to get accepted into other dental schools because they wouldn't graduate with a BS degree. If your son has college credits from high school, he might be able to graduate with a degree in 3 years and apply out.
I agree. I am also at Nova doing the 4+4 and the school is expensive but with great stats there's an excellent chance in getting a full scholarship. It would definitely be more important to plan for the cheaper dental school rather than the cheaper college. Although saving money in undergrad was awesome, Nova's private school tuition will seek its revenge in the next four years! However I have to say you do get what you pay for, and there are a lot of factors besides cost of attendance (within reason of course)