Gudiance, PLEASE!!Non,trad, URM

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

CRTtoDOC

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I need some advice concerning my situation. I am a 37 yo female. Graduated in 1998 with a BS in bio GPA 3.15. I worked full-time and a part-time job, dropped out for a year to take care of grandmother. Returned brought grades up, NASA/JOVE scholar/scholarship recipient,did research for 2 yrs presented @ Jet Propulsion lab in Pasadena @ national conference; Founding member college chapter National assoc. Of Black Chemist and Chemical engineers, Chapter pres. That last year, member Naacp, Miss Homecoming (hey it's a EC) yes all while working 2 jobs and taking care of grandparent with major stroke. My science GPA is about 3.4 but since I attended a different undergrad and withdrew from some classes , made an f in one (holds head down in shame; didn't WD in time) might bring it down. Worked six years @ major steel manufacturer in Chem lab and business planning. Had a child.

Fast-forward to present went back to school in 2006 grad with another BS in Respiratory Therapy from major univ with med school, worked as a resp. Therapy student while in school (20-36) hours a week, of course two years of clinicals, did rounds with residents and med students, last year of school got really sick spent majority of that year (Jan-Aug) in hospital @ least 2 wks per month. Diagnosed Allergic asthma(uncontrolled) plus found blood clots in rt lung. Could NOT get blood thiners regulated in system hence the on again off again love affair with hospital. Mind you still completed assignments, worked, took care of child, and sat for certification on time and passed. I had to make up a lot of clinical days before i officially graduated but managed to do it before graduation. Highly respected by professors, two of which teach in the medical school. Mentor young kids in neighborhood, founder and executive director of a peer mentoring non-profit. Grad from 2nd school with 3.0, dully because this is where I flubbed up the first time so I did redeem myself. I only made one or two C's I believe. Have been working in the field for 2 years, hospital one yr home health second.

Questions:
- what MCAT score needed and do I have a remote chance of going to med school given my background? Wanted to matriculate after 1st degree but had a little one, she's older and is encouraging me to go as well as my church members. I also have taught bible study.

Please forgive spelling and grammar typing on cell.
Well guys let it rip.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hello,

I need some advice concerning my situation. I am a 37 yo female. Graduated in 1998 with a BS in bio GPA 3.15. I worked full-time and a part-time job, dropped out for a year to take care of grandmother. Returned brought grades up, NASA/JOVE scholar/scholarship recipient,did research for 2 yrs presented @ Jet Propulsion lab in Pasadena @ national conference; Founding member college chapter National assoc. Of Black Chemist and Chemical engineers, Chapter pres. That last year, member Naacp, Miss Homecoming (hey it's a EC) yes all while working 2 jobs and taking care of grandparent with major stroke. My science GPA is about 3.4 but since I attended a different undergrad and withdrew from some classes , made an f in one (holds head down in shame; didn't WD in time) might bring it down. Worked six years @ major steel manufacturer in Chem lab and business planning. Had a child.

Fast-forward to present went back to school in 2006 grad with another BS in Respiratory Therapy from major univ with med school, worked as a resp. Therapy student while in school (20-36) hours a week, of course two years of clinicals, did rounds with residents and med students, last year of school got really sick spent majority of that year (Jan-Aug) in hospital @ least 2 wks per month. Diagnosed Allergic asthma(uncontrolled) plus found blood clots in rt lung. Could NOT get blood thiners regulated in system hence the on again off again love affair with hospital. Mind you still completed assignments, worked, took care of child, and sat for certification on time and passed. I had to make up a lot of clinical days before i officially graduated but managed to do it before graduation. Highly respected by professors, two of which teach in the medical school. Mentor young kids in neighborhood, founder and executive director of a peer mentoring non-profit. Grad from 2nd school with 3.0, dully because this is where I flubbed up the first time so I did redeem myself. I only made one or two C's I believe. Have been working in the field for 2 years, hospital one yr home health second.

Questions:
- what MCAT score needed and do I have a remote chance of going to med school given my background? Wanted to matriculate after 1st degree but had a little one, she's older and is encouraging me to go as well as my church members. I also have taught bible study.

Well guys let it rip.

Here are the stats for minority admissions.

http://www.aamc.org/data/facts/applicantmatriculant/table25-mcatgpa-grid-hbn-3race.pdf

Assuming you score a 30 on the MCAT, you have a 61.9% chance of admission. 30+ on the MCAT should be your goal IMO.

You should enroll in some science post bacc work this fall. This would help demonstrate that you have the necessary competence in the sciences. Right now I am not sure whether you demonstrate the required aptitude for medical school with your undergrad GPA. No offense. Some post bacc work (like a full year) with all As would counter that.

I would also suggest posting your story in the nontrad forum since you are definitely one.

This is doable but it will take a lot of work on your part.

Members don't see this ad :)
As for the MCAT, when you do study, go for the TBR physics, chem, and o-chem books.

Go with the TPR for Bio.

And, go with EK 101 for verbal practice.

Take AAMC 3 for practice. You will have to buy others.

You can also search for the 3 month study plan on the MCAT forums. It's pretty good.

Ok thanks I am enrolling in Dr. Flowers MCAT prep plus am also reviewing my old textbooks as well. I don't plan on taking the the MCAT until the summer of next year. I am going to get a copy of my transcripts so I can get an accurate assessment of my GPA. Is there a special way AMCAS CALCULATES IT?

Hello,

Questions:

Well guys let it rip.

Do realize that your MCAT score is NOT going to offset your below average uGPA. You are going to face an uphill battle. Do keep in mind that many schools will look at recent coursework if your older work is not great but everything is going to count. It's going to be tough out there.

You also need to have a strong premedical science knowledge base that you can apply to the MCAT. Do not rely on review books if you don't have the base in the first place. If your science knowledge base is strong, then do plenty of practice tests (the retired MCAT tests are the best). Plan on taking that test (MCAT) one time and take no prisoners. You can't afford any mediocre scores in any areas.

Good luck and focus.

Do realize that your MCAT score is NOT going to offset your below average uGPA. You are going to face an uphill battle. Do keep in mind that many schools will look at recent coursework if your older work is not great but everything is going to count. It's going to be tough out there.

You also need to have a strong premedical science knowledge base that you can apply to the MCAT. Do not rely on review books if you don't have the base in the first place. If your science knowledge base is strong, then do plenty of practice tests (the retired MCAT tests are the best). Plan on taking that test (MCAT) one time and take no prisoners. You can't afford any mediocre scores in any areas.

Good luck and focus.

NJBDMD,

Thanks for the response and advice. I have a pretty strong pre-med foundation. Since I worked with chemical alloys @ the plant I have managed to retain some chemistry. Biology will be a review for me. I took the mcat in '98 don't remember the score though. I have pulled out all my old text books ( biochem, bio, genetics, physics, O chem) for review in conjunction with the Dr. Flowers review I will be taking for 6 months. Since I recently graduated from resp. School I am really up on the cardiovascular and lung anatomy. I looked at some of the mcat bio section and was not lost but there are some things I do need to review. Probably the biggest hurdle will be physics (hated it) but I can do it. I am planning to take mcat in May of 2011 so that will give me ample time to review and practice. Like I stated my latter course work is much better than my earlier performance.