Guidance counseling with an MSW?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Happy04

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if it is possible to become a high school or college guidance counselor with an MSW? I'm not certain that I want to be a guidance counselor, but it is a possibility...I think I have decided on getting my MSW though because it seems that there are many more options available with that degree than with a masters in counseling (however I don't like the stigma that social workers are often given...)

The programs I am most interested in are at Boston University, Smith, Simmons, Boston Colege, San Diego State, CA State at LA, and UCLA...Any tips or thoughts on which of these schools may be a better school, be a better deal, or have a better program for someone interested in the clinical side of social work?

Last question- I know that the salary isn't great for social workers, but what is about the average, and which sector of social workers usually make the most money?

Thanks SO much!

Members don't see this ad.

In my state... no. Absolutely not in the public schools here... probably not a lot of other places either because social workers and counselors are separate in NCLB and have different quota requirements at the school. Also, school social workers can't be NB certified while school counselors are able to earn that credential. The language in both of those (NCLB and national board certification) for "highly qualified" will mean that the individual is trained specifically in that subject area and licensed accordingly. The only way to get a school counseling license, in my state, is with a degree in school counseling.

As for college counselors... there are a few LCSW's in positions in college health centers for both case management and therapy. However, most of those positions are reserved for psychologists in my state. As far as the masters in counseling people... I see them getting jobs in other areas of higher ed that aren't available to social workers. So there's a bonus there..

I know social workers from Smith, Boston College, and UCLA... they seem happy with their training but I can't help beyond that...

good luck w/your choice.