Guidance during my gap year(s?)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ShidaM

Reaction score
Hi all, I decided to make an account here to get some advice about what I should do to improve my application.

I not exactly asking about my chances, I know my application is weak right now. I'm looking for some advice in improving my app the most I can in a year.

I'm a Hispanic male going to a state school in FL. I'll be graduating this summer and plan to apply next summer. I believe that gives me two years before I'd enroll but only a year before I apply. I'm looking for some ideas about how to best prepare to apply. Here are my stats / EC's

MCAT:512 131/128/126/127. I tested 3/12 and I'm a little disappointed in my score. I know its not a poor score by any means, but it's lower than my AAMC FL averages. I got a 519 on a FL two weeks before I tested and a 516 not long before that so I was expecting better.

GPA: 3.93 - sGPA around 3.88. I'm having a rough semester right now; these might go down if I get a few B's

Volunteering (Both clinical and non-clinical). Around 50 hours lol. I want to blame covid for not letting me do anything for most of my time in college, but I know 50 is too low to be graduating with. This is a mixture of volunteering at a food shelter and doing different assignments at a local hospital.

Research: Did a poster presentation about refugee healthcare in Europe and the United States. This was a group project as part of a class so I'm not sure if it would be counted as research.

Internships: Did a virtual internship with a clinic in a third-world-country that treats immigrants from other third world countries. Despite being online I learned a lot about global inequalities in health. I was meant to take a trip to this clinic through my school, but it was cancelled twice due to the pandemic.

Other stuff: 4 semesters of Japanese, Fluent Spanish speaker, can converse a little in Italian. Chess and Ping-Pong clubs. I'm an Honors student and made the deans list a few times.

Not the greatest resume after 3 years of college but here I am. What should I focus on? Getting research? My advisor told me about the NIH IRTA and other stuff to get a 1-2 years under my belt. Would I be better off getting a clinical job like phlebotomy or scribing? Is it worth retaking the MCAT? I'm worried that I won't have enough to apply by next summer but I'm curious to hear what you all think.

I know this is a lot of questions but I'm facing two years where I won't be in school with no idea of what I should be doing. Any help/advice is greatly appreciated.

Members don't see this ad.

Get a clinical job (part-time is fine too) and non-clinical volunteering such as at a food shelter like you mentioned, homeless shelter, or Big Brother Big Sister if you want to and can dedicate yourself. Your MCAT score is good already. You could use your Spanish fluency to do interpreter work for government services or other programs for immigrants and refugees.

These are some ideas to show you that there are a lot of options. A year of doing this will make you a strong applicant.

Reactions: 1 users