Guidance needed please

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Ned_Patrick

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi there,

I would like to get some advice for the predicament I find myself in right now. I am in my fourth year of university with a 3.2 GPA and an 18O on the MCAT. I have applied to UBC, Ontario (Mac, Ottawa, Toronto) and Memorial University for medicine. I am not considering the US because of the low MCAT scores I just recieved (MCAT written in Aug 2006) and, likewise, my plans to originally apply to Ireland become dampened. My application to UBC, Toronto, and Memorial do not have much prospect because of these MCAT scores either, and may not even be considered at all. I am planning to rewrite the MCAT's next summer if I do not get acceptance to any medical schools this year. However, I am trying my best to get in wherever I can. I am still considering the Carribean's for fall 2007. Can anyone give me some guidance in where I should be applying? Also, is it worth continuing applications for this year, before rewriting the MCAT, or would it just be a lost cause? Please, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

Hi there,

I would like to get some advice for the predicament I find myself in right now. I am in my fourth year of university with a 3.2 GPA and an 18O on the MCAT. I have applied to UBC, Ontario (Mac, Ottawa, Toronto) and Memorial University for medicine. I am not considering the US because of the low MCAT scores I just recieved (MCAT written in Aug 2006) and, likewise, my plans to originally apply to Ireland become dampened. My application to UBC, Toronto, and Memorial do not have much prospect because of these MCAT scores either, and may not even be considered at all. I am planning to rewrite the MCAT's next summer if I do not get acceptance to any medical schools this year. However, I am trying my best to get in wherever I can. I am still considering the Carribean's for fall 2007. Can anyone give me some guidance in where I should be applying? Also, is it worth continuing applications for this year, before rewriting the MCAT, or would it just be a lost cause? Please, any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Sadly that 18 is pretty bleak. Considering the average is 24. Being below average really kills you for a spot. Especially since LESS that 50% of applicants get in. I would save you money - retake the MCAT whenever you want (22 times next year) and try again for Fall 2008.

Hi there,

Hey man I'm sorry to hear about the MCAT... as a fellow Canadian I can identify with your situation regarding med schools in Canada. Now this maybe harsh but with that GPA and that MCAT I think that Canadian schools are out of the question. Most Ontario schools have a cutoff of a 30 on the MCAT and I believe there is a GPA cutoff as well. I know a few people with a 35 and 3.7 who didn't even get interwiews!!! Honestly I wouldn't waste anymore money applying to Canadian schools unless you plan on bringing that GPA to at least a 3.5 and that MCAT past 30.

As far as the Caribbean, I think if you have a pulse and the money to finance your education there then you're good to go.

You should also ask yourself how badly you want to become a doctor? If you want it bad enough then you'll find a way and everything will work out in the end. Even if you have to eat a poop hotdog to get there...

Good Luck!

Yup. I have decided to apply in Ireland (Atlantic Bridge Program) to Trinity school because they do not require the MCAT's. Would it be worth applying to any of the other 3 schools participating in the ABP? Also, does anyone know any schools in the Carribean that don't require the MCAT? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.