Guidance On What to Do to Strengthen PT School Application

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

HopefulPT23

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
Right now I'm in my senior year at Rutgers majoring in Exercise Science, Applied Kinesiology. As it stands, my cGPA is currently at a 3.27 with my Pre Req below a 3.0. After researching these forums for a while I realize that I have to really work on my Pre Req GPA to become competitive for PT School. Here is what I am looking at Pre Req wise so far:

Statistics: B+
Gen Bio I: C
Gen Bio II: C
Bio lab: B
Physics I: B+
Physics II: A
Chem I: C+
Chem II: C
Chem Lab: B+
Systems Physiology: B+
Gen Psych: B
Abnormal Psychology: B+

I am currently taking Exercise Physiology as well as Functional Human Anatomy this semester, and I am interning at an outpatient clinic. I have one more semester before I graduate. There are 2 more classes that I need to take so I have some wiggle room for classes next semester. I know I have to improve my Bio and Chem grades and I am wondering what would be the best way to do this. Should I postpone graduation for one more year and retake these courses at Rutgers? Would it be best to take these courses at a CC and add them to my PTCAS application post graduation? What would my best options be?

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Hi all,
Right now I'm in my senior year at Rutgers majoring in Exercise Science, Applied Kinesiology. As it stands, my cGPA is currently at a 3.27 with my Pre Req below a 3.0. After researching these forums for a while I realize that I have to really work on my Pre Req GPA to become competitive for PT School. Here is what I am looking at Pre Req wise so far:

I am currently taking Exercise Physiology as well as Functional Human Anatomy this semester, and I am interning at an outpatient clinic. I have one more semester before I graduate. There are 2 more classes that I need to take so I have some wiggle room for classes next semester. I know I have to improve my Bio and Chem grades and I am wondering what would be the best way to do this. Should I postpone graduation for one more year and retake these courses at Rutgers? Would it be best to take these courses at a CC and add them to my PTCAS application post graduation? What would my best options be?

Hi there,

My cGPA isn't all that great, but I make up for it with a pretty decent pre-req GPA. What I would definitely do if I were you, is retake some of your Cs. If you can pull As in those classes, it would be in your favor. Maybe take a summer or winter course or two, where you can just focus on one class at a time, and really work toward those As. It will show your commitment to bettering your application.

Hi there,

My cGPA isn't all that great, but I make up for it with a pretty decent pre-req GPA. What I would definitely do if I were you, is retake some of your Cs. If you can pull As in those classes, it would be in your favor. Maybe take a summer or winter course or two, where you can just focus on one class at a time, and really work toward those As. It will show your commitment to bettering your application.
Thank you for taking the time to reply! Would I be better off graduating with my bachelor's and retaking those courses next year at a community college? Or do you think I should take them at Rutgers since that's where I originally took them? I'm not sure if it is looked down upon for taking them at a CC after attempting them at a university.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you for taking the time to reply! Would I be better off graduating with my bachelor's and retaking those courses next year at a community college? Or do you think I should take them at Rutgers since that's where I originally took them? I'm not sure if it is looked down upon for taking them at a CC after attempting them at a university.
I took all of my sciences except for chem 1 and bio 2 at a community college and had no problems getting accepted into PT school. Save the money. Graduate and take them at the CC.

Hi all,

Before you make your decision, you should contact the schools you're interested in and ask them about taking the sciences at a CC. I know one of the ones I applied to preferred to see the sciences (especially Anatomy) taken within a full load, not in isolation. Each school is so different!

Good luck!!

Hi all,

What other experiences do you have like extracurriculars or volunteer? Don't forget about those, they can be a HUGE asset to get you into PT school. I didn't have the greatest cGPA or pre-req GPA, but I also spent so much of my time as an Athletic Training student, doing research for exercise science, being involved in different clubs, working and volunteering and I made sure my application showed that! Some schools really value a well-rounded applicant vs just GPA's and GRE scores, you just have to make sure you find the right school and obviously meet their minimum requirements! :) Not saying you shouldn't retake classes bc that WILL help, just don't forget what makes up the other aspects of your application that you can also strengthen during this year!