1. Hey Guest! Check out the 3 MCAT Study Plan Options listed in the 'stickies' area at the top of the forums (BoomBoom, SN2ed, and MCATJelly). Let us know which you like best.

Also, we now offer a MCAT Test-Prep Exhibitions Forum where you can ask questions directly from the test-prep services.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice

Guidance on whether to push back or not

Discussion in 'MCAT Discussions' started by AKPsiMD84, Apr 17, 2007.

1. AKPsiMD84

5+ Year Member

Pre-Health (Field Undecided)
    Im in a bit of a bind here. I registered to take the MCAT on May 31st. However, I do not feel prepared... I have already taken the MCAT once so much of this information is a review for me, but I have only studied one subject and have focused much on my classes b/c it was required. I am thinking as to whether or not push back the exam to June or early July. My issue is what is the most realistic time frame for me to get a good score? I am very good at understanding the information in front of me and much of this will be review. Please help!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. MDAdam

10+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    When are you done with finals?

4. AKPsiMD84

5+ Year Member

April 25th

5. AKPsiMD84

5+ Year Member

6. theunremarkable

5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    so you have more than a month to study for the MCAT. I would say you're fine. Just take advantage of that time. Most people dont get done with finals until much later and are still taking the test on the 31st.

7. lifeistough

Pre-Medical
    If you think you need more time to score high on the MCAT, I would focus on getting a personal statement ready for AMCAS while you have school. Also working on who to give the LOR, basically getting your AMCAS submitted and sending your transcripts sent to AMCAS. Use your time efficiently now by getting everything ready for AMCAS. Then use June 1 (already will have submitted it, at 0:00 hours on that day and send everyday studying and working on the MCAT. Even before, when you are getting your AMCAS ready for submitting, you will have some time set aside to studying for you MCAT after finals. And that will give you a little over 2 months to study, if you take it July 13. Applying to med school with a high MCAT score is a lot better than a non-competitive score earlier. There are 2 parts for MCAT studying, I think, one is studying your weak concepts deeply (takes time), and second part taking CBTs to gauge your progress and fine tuning. Personally, I have been studying everday from Dec 15 and had to reschedule to July 13. I want to do my best and score high. You can get interviews with that timing if strong, around Sept/Oct. So focus.

Best regards.

8. Kateb4

7+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I was thinking of rescheduling also (from May 16) then I looked at the available dates and there was nothing in May, June or July within two states of me, so I guess I'm sticking it out. Check your test availability before you waste time over this decision!

9. lifeistough

Pre-Medical
    It all depends on your readiness. That is the key point to take home. August is the last resort time, considering submitting and verifed by mid June/early July.

Some students will make extreme measures to travelling to another state to take it, or signing up for a late one in August and periodically in June/July to see if any last minute opens. This is risky and not safe. If you think you will be ready before August and will score higher before month of August, than I would suggest making this a vacation going to the closest state you can find to take it. Think of it as a vacation or a special assignment you have been ordered to do. Making it official will lean importance on it and better confidance come test day.

10. AKPsiMD84

5+ Year Member

I pushed back to July 13th. Get scores in August. So what would I expect considering all is dandy with the application process (secondaries interviews,etc.)