Guide to average board scores for competitive schools?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medhearter

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm interested in internal medicine/pediatrics combined specialty or internal medicine/neurology combined specialty. anyone know the average board scores for these? and are there any resources available for where i may find the average board scores for these programs at schools like Harvard, JHU?

Members don't see this ad.

Hello,

I'm interested in internal medicine/pediatrics combined specialty or internal medicine/neurology combined specialty. anyone know the average board scores for these? and are there any resources available for where i may find the average board scores for these programs at schools like Harvard, JHU?

240-250 should get you in the door.

I wonder if residencies think it strange if a person with a superb step 1 score applies to a specialty that has a low Step 1 average.

Members don't see this ad :)
I wonder if residencies think it strange if a person with a superb step 1 score applies to a specialty that has a low Step 1 average.

Nope, also realize that the top programs in most specialties have pretty high step 1 scores, regardless of the average for all residencies in that specialty.

You can bet the average step scores at Hopkins and MGH are a lot higher than your community residency program in Kansas. In fact, superb step 1 scores won't even get you an interview at a top 10-20 school if that's the only thing going for you.