Guide to Kicking Butt on Audition Rotations

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Packamylase

MSIV
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Clean and Press your White Coat
Work Hard
Don't Complain
Volunteer to Take on More Responsibilities
Ask questions, but at the right time and not too many
Be interested and Keep your Focus
Be willing to say "I don't know", but study a lot so you don't have to say it often
KNOW YOUR PATIENTS!

Please add to the list!

Members don't see this ad.

Clean and Press your White Coat
Work Hard
Don't Complain
Volunteer to Take on More Responsibilities
Ask questions, but at the right time and not too many
Be interested and Keep your Focus
Be willing to say "I don't know", but study a lot so you don't have to say it often
KNOW YOUR PATIENTS!

Please add to the list!

-Be the first one there, and the last to leave
-Be better than the interns
-Take initiative, help the team whenever/however possible
-Find the most senior/well-known attending and get as much face time with them as possilbe
-Make sure everyone you meet knows how much you love the program
-Take call as often as they let you
-Help interns/residents on the other services, not just your own
-Don't ask to leave early, for extra days off, etc.
-If the residents are doing something social (happy hour at the end of the week, softball game, etc) - go even if you are tired

Also read this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602686

Observe your attendings and residents. say to yourself "how can I make these peoples day easier and help out"? and Do that

Members don't see this ad :)
Make sure the PD is taller than you. That way it's easier to kiss his ass.

-Be the first one there, and the last to leave
-Be better than the interns
-Take initiative, help the team whenever/however possible
-Find the most senior/well-known attending and get as much face time with them as possilbe
-Make sure everyone you meet knows how much you love the program
-Take call as often as they let you
-Help interns/residents on the other services, not just your own
-Don't ask to leave early, for extra days off, etc.
-If the residents are doing something social (happy hour at the end of the week, softball game, etc) - go even if you are tired

Also read this thread:
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=602686

The items boldfaced above are kinda debatable.

The items boldfaced above are kinda debatable.

Well, I can't really say they aren't debatable since you're debating them, but I'd say those are among the most important things. Perhaps I need to clarify.

First one there, last to leave: This doesn't mean hang around after someone told you to go home - if that happens by all means go. But you should definitely be the first one there in the morning to preround, look up labs, print out lists, etc, - this is all pretty basic. It is also about willingness - you shouldn't be looking to leave; you should be looking to find additional ways to help the team.

be better than the interns: This doesn't mean "show up" the interns. Never do that. It is a mindset. It means you will aim to be the most prepared, the most knowledgeable, the most organized person on the team. It was also the direct advice from my dept chair before I left for my away.

Get facetime with attendings: This is how you get a good letter of recommendation. In the surgery world, it means you pick an attending to go to clinic with, scrub in on the majority of their cases, basically let them get to know you. It does not mean suck-up.

make sure everyone knows how much you love the program: Again, this doesn't mean sucking up. It must be done intelligently. But it again speaks to mindset - you are there for a month long interview. You need to be "on" the whole time - that means no complaining, don't spend the whole month talking about all the OTHER programs you like, stay positive.

-Do whatever work needs to be done regardless of its "educational value."
-Be a nice person and avoid social awkwardness.

EDIT: I thought this was just a thread for success on rotations. whoops. I have not done any audition rotations.

Last edited:
Work hard.
Be a good person.
Don't be a slacker, but don't be a gunner.
If you don't know, look it up.
Don't go hide in the library.
Don't waste your time not working and learning.
Remember to look up your test results as SOON as they should be in (and check them before you think they'll be in).
Be honest.
Be true to yourself (unless your true self is a tool, in which case you better be a darn good actor).
Work hard.
Be nice.
Write LEGIBLY.
Be helpful, even if that means getting coffee for your intern that has been up for 26 hours straight.
Take time to talk to your team - that means social workers, nurses, janitors, everyone.
Work hard.
Be nice.

Did I mention work hard, be honest, be helpful, and be nice?

Well, I can't really say they aren't debatable since you're debating them, but I'd say those are among the most important things. Perhaps I need to clarify.

First one there, last to leave: This doesn't mean hang around after someone told you to go home - if that happens by all means go. But you should definitely be the first one there in the morning to preround, look up labs, print out lists, etc, - this is all pretty basic. It is also about willingness - you shouldn't be looking to leave; you should be looking to find additional ways to help the team.

be better than the interns: This doesn't mean "show up" the interns. Never do that. It is a mindset. It means you will aim to be the most prepared, the most knowledgeable, the most organized person on the team. It was also the direct advice from my dept chair before I left for my away.

Get facetime with attendings: This is how you get a good letter of recommendation. In the surgery world, it means you pick an attending to go to clinic with, scrub in on the majority of their cases, basically let them get to know you. It does not mean suck-up.

make sure everyone knows how much you love the program: Again, this doesn't mean sucking up. It must be done intelligently. But it again speaks to mindset - you are there for a month long interview. You need to be "on" the whole time - that means no complaining, don't spend the whole month talking about all the OTHER programs you like, stay positive.

Okay good. :thumbup: Thanks for clarifying.

Make sure the PD is taller than you. That way it's easier to kiss his ass.

That one will be a challenge for me unless he (or she) played in the NBA or equivalent professional sporting league with people consistently on the upper half of 6 feet.

That one will be a challenge for me unless he (or she) played in the NBA or equivalent professional sporting league with people consistently on the upper half of 6 feet.

I'm 6'4" and taller than most, so not a chance for me.