<GULP> Officially unemployed and heading back to school....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

golden2323

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've only posted a few times, and have lurked a lot. I'm coming out of hiding. :)

As of 5:00 today, I'm officially unemployed and and scheduled to return to school to get my undergrad with hopes of someday becoming a physician. :scared: I've got some MAJOR GPA repair to do, and I know I'm a long shot, but I'm going for it! I am hopeful that the remaining 3(ish) years of undergrad I need to complete will show a strong GPA - strong enough to overcome my abysmal GPA from 15 years ago. I've matured, experienced the real world and have a realistic idea of how difficult the road in front of me will be, but I'm excited about this new journey.

Man, this would have been easier 15 years ago with no kids, no mortgage and no husband, but in the end, I think my experiences will make me a better doctor.

Looking forward to participating more on these boards in the coming months/years.

Members don't see this ad.

I've only posted a few times, and have lurked a lot. I'm coming out of hiding. :)

As of 5:00 today, I'm officially unemployed and and scheduled to return to school to get my undergrad with hopes of someday becoming a physician. :scared: I've got some MAJOR GPA repair to do, and I know I'm a long shot, but I'm going for it! I am hopeful that the remaining 3(ish) years of undergrad I need to complete will show a strong GPA - strong enough to overcome my abysmal GPA from 15 years ago. I've matured, experienced the real world and have a realistic idea of how difficult the road in front of me will be, but I'm excited about this new journey.

Man, this would have been easier 15 years ago with no kids, no mortgage and no husband, but in the end, I think my experiences will make me a better doctor.

Looking forward to participating more on these boards in the coming months/years.

Welcome to "The Club". :)

I left my job after turning down promotions to finish up all the premed courses four months ago. It took some time getting used to the idea of not working, but once school and EC's start, you'll be good. Enjoy the ride. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)

I think so too, and I think that's the case with a lot of us non-trads. I personally would love to be able to quit my job and do 20+credit semesters in order to expedite my gpa-repair, but I have no family support and am supporting myself completely. I'm 23, and my parents told me they wouldn't help me pursue med because it's "unrealistic." I just started my repair process this past summer, and continued full-time in the fall while working full-time and doing a little research as well. Going to do 3/4 time this spring while I study for MCAT (28 on my first one).

From experience, it's very gratifying to dominate classes and get A's in everything especially after doing so poorly in undergrad. It's great for your confidence, but not so great for your social life/relationships (luckily I have a great girlfriend who, coincidentally, is a med student). I don't know what caused your bad GPA, but don't get lazy, don't settle for good enough, and don't give up. You can always find support here!

I think so too, and I think that's the case with a lot of us non-trads. I personally would love to be able to quit my job and do 20+credit semesters in order to expedite my gpa-repair, but I have no family support and am supporting myself completely. I'm 23, and my parents told me they wouldn't help me pursue med because it's "unrealistic." !

Wow, that really blows. My family supports me 100%, so I'm in a pretty good situation. I didn't learn about the whole GPA repair possibilities until it was too late, and every class was closed with filled up waitlists. I'm still having trouble getting into some classes I want to retake, but at least I'm getting the premed courses done. Good luck, and trust me, nothing is impossible if you put your mind and effort into it. YOU CAN DO IT! :thumbup:

Wow, that really blows. My family supports me 100%, so I'm in a pretty good situation. I didn't learn about the whole GPA repair possibilities until it was too late, and every class was closed with filled up waitlists. I'm still having trouble getting into some classes I want to retake, but at least I'm getting the premed courses done. Good luck, and trust me, nothing is impossible if you put your mind and effort into it. YOU CAN DO IT! :thumbup:

Yea, but it's another motivating factor (though I'll never admit that to ADCOMs ;)). If you can't get all the classes you want, try to use your free time to improve your ECs. GPA repair and MCAT will get you past the initial numbers screening, but after that your ECs can really make you stand out. :thumbup:

FutureDrB beat me... Indeed welcome to the club!!

I graduated from college in 1999... Starting med school this summer!!! Repaired my GPA for ~3 yrs total... Best of luck!!!

Yes, welcome! I lost my job in May and completed my first semester of pre-reqs this past semester. I found there is a definite adjustment in heading back to school. For me it was figuring out how to study and feeling massively overwhelmed. I felt much better halfway through the semester and am taking 19 hrs this spring. Only 2 more to go after!

Best of luck to you!

this would have been easier 15 years ago with no kids, no mortgage and no husband, but in the end, I think my experiences will make me a better doctor.
Definitely! Best of luck to you.

Congratulation on going back to school OP, and DOC, or anyone for that matter,what is this GPA repair you speak of?