Gunderson OMFS Residency and Life in La Crosse

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Xigris14

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
any info about Gunderson as to volume, scope, numbers...life in LaCrosse, what to do, shopping, fun things outside of residency would be appreciated

Members don't see this ad.

The only thing I can recall is that up to date for this year, they have done 9 mandibles.

Members don't see this ad :)
Just for a reference.....We've done over 200 (in addition to noses, blephs, midiface, neck dissections yada yada yada)

So what, they put in a ton of implants and shuck thirds all day. Thats where the money is and thats the majority of what you'll be doing in "the real world" anyway. Besides, they actually have a life while in residency. Sounds to me like it is an ideal residency. The fact that they only take one/year makes it prob. the most competitive spot on the market in my opinion:cool:

So what, they put in a ton of implants and shuck thirds all day. Thats where the money is and thats the majority of what you'll be doing in "the real world" anyway. Besides, they actually have a life while in residency. Sounds to me like it is an ideal residency. The fact that they only take one/year makes it prob. the most competitive spot on the market in my opinion:cool:

I tend to agree with you. But they did have 60 or something like that for their implant number, which in my opinion for a teeth and titanium residency is on the weak side. There are some places that do well over 100 with also doing all the trauma, so who knows. Thoughts???

Well we just had 6 mandibles yesterday and 3 so far this morning.....at christmas time you just cant beat a good smack in the mouth! I think the count for last year was 600+, plus mid face, free flaps yada yada yada

In Shreveport it seems even santa breaks your jaw!

Last edited:
Yeah, thats great and all. But wouldn't you want to do your OMFS residency at a country club if you could?

Well we just had 6 mandibles yesterday and 3 so far this morning.....at christmas time you just cant beat a good smack in the mouth! I think the count for last year was 600+, plus mid face, free flaps yada yada yada

In Shreveport it seems even santa breaks your jaw!

Is pee-wee herman going out and busting mandibles so that he can get practice fixing them?

In my opinion, Gundersen is definitely one of the most desirable OMS residencies out there(atleast from what I remember during my interviews). It is a very private practice based program. Their trauma numbers are low but overall number of major cases was more than adequate.