SDN members see fewer ads and full resolution images. Join our non-profit community!

Gunderson vs. Perez

Discussion in 'Radiation Oncology' started by NewRes, Jun 17, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NewRes

Jun 17, 2008
    It's been a while since people posted thoughts on the "New Perez" thread and I am planning to buy one of these monster books. So I would appreciate any suggestions on which one book to buy.
  2. SDN Members don't see this ad. About the ads.
  3. radonc

radonc Senior Member 7+ Year Member

Oct 17, 2002
  4. Gfunk6

Gfunk6 And to think . . . I hesitated Physician PhD Faculty Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Apr 15, 2004
    SF Bay Area
    My opinion is to buy the book with different institutional affiliations than yours. For instance, many faculty at my institution wrote chapters in Perez so I bought Gunderson. It's nice to have fresh perspectives on various subsites rather than simply reinforce your faculty's point of view.
  5. temujim

temujim Junior Member 10+ Year Member

Jul 13, 2002
    nice thing about the new perez is the entire book is on the internet (you get a passcode when you buy the book). That way, you don't have to carry that millstone around. Plus with it online, you can rip tables and figures for your talks.

head to head though, I like the gunderson; it's more solidly constructed, has better paper (though perez upgraded substantially from their last monstrosity) and on the whole is a better "read".
  6. miamiradonc

miamiradonc Junior Member 5+ Year Member

Mar 17, 2006
    I think that some of the chapters are better for some disease sites than others in each book. It might be helpful to compile a list of the didactically superior chapters from each text. They are excellent complements.
  7. stephew

stephew SDN Super Moderator Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Jun 7, 2001
    I think gfunk's advice and miamiradonc's analysis are correct.
    please continue on old thread. Thank you.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.