dangit

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Status
Medical Student
I want to get thru First Aid and I'm considering either one. From what I've read, there might be too much info from GT, but i'm starting 6 months ahead before my exam. I know Flash Facts will help pound in the details of FA as well and it'll be directly correlated with FA.... I will definitely give a trial of GT a try, but I was wondering if anyone else had to choose and their reason for doing so.

Thanks!

JPanda

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2008
Status
I want to get thru First Aid and I'm considering either one. From what I've read, there might be too much info from GT, but i'm starting 6 months ahead before my exam. I know Flash Facts will help pound in the details of FA as well and it'll be directly correlated with FA.... I will definitely give a trial of GT a try, but I was wondering if anyone else had to choose and their reason for doing so.

Thanks!
Flash facts is only a flash card program. I bought a year subscription and i havent really used it because the interface is extremely poorly designed. I gave up after using it for an hour because it was so frustrating to simply make a deck of flash cards of the GI material. Until the interface gets better, i think flash facts is a waste of money. Gunner training is more like a test bank with questions that test your direct knowledge of FA. It has "Flash cards" but those are more like high yield first aid like notes instead of the traditional flash cards as we know them to be. Gunner training's difference comes from its use of a space time algorithm that supposely helps you learn better. I think gunner training has value, and more value than flash facts. Im just not sure if Gunner training can offer you something that other test banks cant. Or that you can get more out of it than anyhting else. but i think you should give tghem both a try. you could always cancel later.

ar2388

rads resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Flash facts is only a flash card program. I bought a year subscription and i havent really used it because the interface is extremely poorly designed. I gave up after using it for an hour because it was so frustrating to simply make a deck of flash cards of the GI material. Until the interface gets better, i think flash facts is a waste of money. Gunner training is more like a test bank with questions that test your direct knowledge of FA. It has "Flash cards" but those are more like high yield first aid like notes instead of the traditional flash cards as we know them to be. Gunner training's difference comes from its use of a space time algorithm that supposely helps you learn better. I think gunner training has value, and more value than flash facts. Im just not sure if Gunner training can offer you something that other test banks cant. Or that you can get more out of it than anyhting else. but i think you should give tghem both a try. you could always cancel later.
i think one advantage of gunner training is the price.. it has a decent price esp compared to UWorld and USMLERx

(i only say that because that was my motivation to get GT.. I got last dec from my boyfriend as a xmas present and they were having a $50 off the $250 it costs for 20 months, which was much more reasonable than UWorld's $399 for 12 month of questions...)

hrandani

10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
I bought Gunner Training at the start of M2 because my school is really weak. Really weak.

In light of that single fact, GT has been the single best use of my money and time since I came to school. I have a ton of books, review books, etc. I've done pretest questions, I've done Robbins (book and questions) Goljan is awesome but nothing beats GT for laying out a good foundation and then drilling it until it sticks. You're not just buying the information, you're buying their system. It's not perfect but it's truly next generation learning.

Two drawbacks - it doesn't work if you have limited time. It is really best if you start at least a year before your exam. It takes an enormous amount of time to go through the entire database and it takes a few months for questions to really start sinking in. It's also a huge time commitment because you have to do it daily for an hour or two to review. But the feedback is immediate, you know what you need to work on and what to improve. They have a few thousand practice questions you can take, but the real money is in the interval training. It's unreal how effective it has been for me.

I've recommended it to a lot of friends, and not everyone is in love with it like I am mostly because it does take so much time and the effects are not immediate. But I blew micro, immuno, and path out of the water this past semester when most people did poorly. My understanding of all the basic sciences has vastly improved because so much is taught in context of clinical presentations. I really wish my school did organ systems because I can understand how much easier it is to learn like that. Gunner Training really teaches you what to focus on. It's not a complete review, but I feel like it's a massive advantage.

The first aid guys really don't do anything for me. Maybe I'm not "done" with basic sciences yet and I don't know the material well enough, but I've tried to read first aid and it's just painful. It's either overload or it's too basic, and I don't feel like I retain much. I bought Rx to warm up for USMLE World and 30% in, it's horrible. I hate it. I don't see myself buying another non-print First Aid product because their web team sucks.

I think their prices have gone up quite a bit, but when I bought it it was like dirt cheap, maybe $150 for 12 months.

PM me with your email if you want an 1 month trial.

OP
D

dangit

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Status
Medical Student
When did you last use the Flash Facts?

I finally gave in and subscribed today and i'm going through the biochem material. I have to say... it's awesome. at least so far. i realize this might be a premature response, but I will continue to update so that anyone who has to decide between Flash Facts vs GT can learn from me. It's true, reading FA just straight thru is really really boring and dry, but doing the Flash Facts makes learning more active.

I tried out the interface and while it's not perfect, I didn't have a difficult time making decks. I think they've improved upon it and with feedback, I'm sure they'll continue to get better. It's a little clunky, but I think it's helping me to get thru FA much more quickly.

My strategy now is to use Flash Facts to get thru FA and then start cranking out questions from USMLERx. I'll let you know guys know my progress throughout the next 2 weeks because during this winter break (just started today) I will try to get thru biochem.

Oh, also, I am to going try a month trial of GT (hrandani- i sent you a PM) and once I get that, I will start working on biochem material as well. So keep an eye out for my response on that as well.

Cheers!

JPanda

10+ Year Member
May 1, 2008
Status
When did you last use the Flash Facts?

I finally gave in and subscribed today and i'm going through the biochem material. I have to say... it's awesome. at least so far. i realize this might be a premature response, but I will continue to update so that anyone who has to decide between Flash Facts vs GT can learn from me. It's true, reading FA just straight thru is really really boring and dry, but doing the Flash Facts makes learning more active.

I tried out the interface and while it's not perfect, I didn't have a difficult time making decks. I think they've improved upon it and with feedback, I'm sure they'll continue to get better. It's a little clunky, but I think it's helping me to get thru FA much more quickly.

My strategy now is to use Flash Facts to get thru FA and then start cranking out questions from USMLERx. I'll let you know guys know my progress throughout the next 2 weeks because during this winter break (just started today) I will try to get thru biochem.

Oh, also, I am to going try a month trial of GT (hrandani- i sent you a PM) and once I get that, I will start working on biochem material as well. So keep an eye out for my response on that as well.

Cheers!
I used it a few weeks ago so there is a strong possibility that the interface has changed. Either way, the interface for gunner training is far superior and that probably contributes to my impression of Flashfacts.

May 30, 2010
Status
Medical Student
GT is actually heavily based on FA which is why they work great together. GT sometimes goes beyond FA and adds some stuff, so it's in between FA and Goljan in terms of the depth of material covered.

Can somebody explain Flash Facts quickly? You have to make your own cards?

OP
D

dangit

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Status
Medical Student
GT is actually heavily based on FA which is why they work great together. GT sometimes goes beyond FA and adds some stuff, so it's in between FA and Goljan in terms of the depth of material covered.

Can somebody explain Flash Facts quickly? You have to make your own cards?
Flash Facts are flash cards where they ask a question that directly from FA and then you answer it by flipping the card over. It's similar to GT (i tried it this morning), but not as detailed. Flash Facts is word for word from FA and they give you a page reference, but only for the 2010 version.

hrandani

10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
One of the reasons I like GT the most is it feels like they took FA as an outline, filled in a lot of the gaps with wikipedia, articles etc, and then threw in a bunch of random pearls from a surgeon (probably the guy who founded it). It's not the end all be all of medical education but for the really detailed stuff I've usually had trouble memorizing in the past it has definitely worked for me.

Huge difference from FA or Rx, where you see a lot of just stupid questions like a 35 year old man who is somehow still alive without been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, or a 4 year old with undiagnosed SCIDs. Man that stuff really irritates me.

Another reason I value it exponentially over FA is that everything is fairly logically organized. Unlike FA where stuff on a given topic is randomly spread out through the book, if material comes up twice in two different sections, then they will go over it twice in GT (sleep cycles, to give an example). They are also constantly expanding and making revisions. It's not perfect but I've yet to let out a constant stream of expletives at my computer monitor like for some of the Rx question explanations.

OP
D

dangit

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Status
Medical Student
One of the reasons I like GT the most is it feels like they took FA as an outline, filled in a lot of the gaps with wikipedia, articles etc, and then threw in a bunch of random pearls from a surgeon (probably the guy who founded it). It's not the end all be all of medical education but for the really detailed stuff I've usually had trouble memorizing in the past it has definitely worked for me.

Huge difference from FA or Rx, where you see a lot of just stupid questions like a 35 year old man who is somehow still alive without been diagnosed with cystic fibrosis, or a 4 year old with undiagnosed SCIDs. Man that stuff really irritates me.

Another reason I value it exponentially over FA is that everything is fairly logically organized. Unlike FA where stuff on a given topic is randomly spread out through the book, if material comes up twice in two different sections, then they will go over it twice in GT (sleep cycles, to give an example). They are also constantly expanding and making revisions. It's not perfect but I've yet to let out a constant stream of expletives at my computer monitor like for some of the Rx question explanations.
anger issues my friend? :p

nah, jk. sometimes i get so mad too and it's due to the stress/pressure of 2nd year. heh.

yea, i like GT so far, i'm just worried i won't be able to finish it all, but like you suggested in your PM, i'm doing just the organ system for now. i also like flash facts and i'm doing biochem in the next 2 weeks. yea, i agree FA questions sometimes make you go :confused: but some questions were dead on similar (in terms of clinical vignettes scernarios) that appeared on my past pathology exam. It was about Kawasaki Disease and I don't know if I would've gotten it had I not seen it before in a USMLERx question. I think there's a place even though it's not perfect. What's your strategy to tackle this beast? i'm trying to do as many questions as I can. My goal is to do many questions as I can because I learn best from doing questions. I tend to zone out when I read for a long period of time and it becomes a passive effort of short term memorizing instead of understanding. Doing questions keep my "learning" or "reviewing" active. that's why i really like GT and FF so far.

May 30, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Have you guys used Kaplan qbank or just GT and Rx? Kaplan's questions are so obscure sometimes and they often have really lame minutiae, I don't know how representative it is of the real thing.

ar2388

rads resident
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Aug 2, 2007
New York, NY
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Have you guys used Kaplan qbank or just GT and Rx? Kaplan's questions are so obscure sometimes and they often have really lame minutiae, I don't know how representative it is of the real thing.
im using GT and UWorld

OP
D

dangit

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Status
Medical Student
i'm going thru Rx and Kaplan. I start with Rx and then do Kaplan. Kaplan is indeed more detailed, so if you miss something due to detail don't get bogged down. World is the most representative to the test (so I've been told by almost everyone). I will prob start World in May hopefully. I want to get thru Rx and Kaplan in the meantime.

BTW, for kaplan, there is a "High Yield" option that weeds out certain qusestion, possibly those question with minutiae detail. Maybe try that see if you get a better experience. I'm gonna do that since I don't have time to do everything.

hrandani

10+ Year Member
Aug 9, 2009
Status
Attending Physician
A couple of people have asked me about what I plan on doing. I've always been more of a textbook reader but as much as I feel like I'm learning, when it comes down to exams I walk away feeling like I know nothing about the subject. I figure there's only so many ways you can ask somebody about a subject.

So in order to cover all the bases I bought 3 months of Rx in October, a year of GT in August... my school has a mandatory 3 month Kaplan program that starts February but I highly doubt I will be using it much. Starting in January, six months of UWorld.

After July if my score was any good I'll post it in the 2011 thread with a more complete overview of my methodology and rank different stuff according to usefulness I guess.

ImBrianFellows

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm currently using GT and Rx. I'll be adding World next month. I decided against Kaplan because I didn't hear very good things about it, questions being too detailed etc etc

jopo

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Dec 28, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I am using GT and Kaplan currently and will be switching to World for my last three months of prep. I know that on this forum Kaplan gets some grief, but I really appreciate the questions (32% complete currently) and the additional Physiology Q-bank is helping me really nail that subject down. Beside I don't think doing obscure question is a bad thing, how many times have we read on this forum that X% of questions where out of nowhere?

Kaplan also come with links to MedEssentials for every question and offers an integrated vignette Q-bank.

ImBrianFellows

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I'm currently using GT and Rx. I'll be adding World next month. I decided against Kaplan because I didn't hear very good things about it, questions being too detailed etc etc
scratch the above ... I've been toying with the idea of getting both kaplan and usmleWorld in January and I think I am going to go ahead and do this. I'm almost done with the Rx questions because I've been blasting through them with course work as well as step studying. I learn well using questions and figure doing more can only help. I think a second pass through Rx questions would be less helpful than having new questions to learn from. At least that's my thinking for now ... this is subject to change haha. :rolleyes:

OP
D

dangit

10+ Year Member
Jan 24, 2006
Status
Medical Student
scratch the above ... I've been toying with the idea of getting both kaplan and usmleWorld in January and I think I am going to go ahead and do this. I'm almost done with the Rx questions because I've been blasting through them with course work as well as step studying. I learn well using questions and figure doing more can only help. I think a second pass through Rx questions would be less helpful than having new questions to learn from. At least that's my thinking for now ... this is subject to change haha. :rolleyes:
:thumbup: sounds like a good idea

i'm assuming you didn't finish 2nd year yet so you shouldn't have covered every topic in pathology/pharm/micro yet... so how did you finish Rx already??

ImBrianFellows

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Apr 16, 2008
Status
Medical Student
:thumbup: sounds like a good idea

i'm assuming you didn't finish 2nd year yet so you shouldn't have covered every topic in pathology/pharm/micro yet... so how did you finish Rx already??

haha, well I decided sometime toward the end of October that I "needed" to get through Rx before I got World and so I started doing random 48 to 96 timed blocks when I could fit them into my schedule. And yeah, some of that material was stuff that hasn't been covered yet at my school. The good thing about doing that was that it forced me to read a lot of First Aid for the first time in the form of going over the questions. The bad thing being that I flat out didn't know some of the stuff at the time I attempted to answer the questions. I will say that in many instances the introduction to the material I got from the questions I had done previously helped me understand things better as they came up in class. I have also been redoing some questions as we get to the material in class. Probably not the best way to be doing things but it does seem to help things "stick" better, for me anyway.:)

zebalong

10+ Year Member
Sep 24, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
haha, well I decided sometime toward the end of October that I "needed" to get through Rx before I got World and so I started doing random 48 to 96 timed blocks when I could fit them into my schedule. And yeah, some of that material was stuff that hasn't been covered yet at my school. The good thing about doing that was that it forced me to read a lot of First Aid for the first time in the form of going over the questions. The bad thing being that I flat out didn't know some of the stuff at the time I attempted to answer the questions. I will say that in many instances the introduction to the material I got from the questions I had done previously helped me understand things better as they came up in class. I have also been redoing some questions as we get to the material in class. Probably not the best way to be doing things but it does seem to help things "stick" better, for me anyway.:)

I just have a couple of questions because I'm hoping to also start USMLERX sometime next Fall.
I'm only a first year, but I've been doing GIT with my courses and I really like it. I was thinking next year I'll add on USMLERx b/c GIT doesn't have a ton of review questions, will I be able to break it into sections incase I don't want to do things I haven't covered yet? Also how many total questions are there total?

May 30, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Wow, that is impressive to do random blocks when you haven't covered the material yet. I am only working on GT/Kaplan sections while I do the same block in school. And yeah, thanks for the tip - I will start going through the high yield kaplan q's first.

Haven't really looked at the physiology/vignette qbanks for Kaplan. So many resources, so little time. But it's good to see we are all going through similar things.

Jan 4, 2010
Boston, MA
Status
Academic Administration
Hi Guys! I just found this thread and wanted to make sure you guys know how much we appreciative your kind words and your continued support.

Please let me know if you have ANY suggestions for improvement, question, or concerns. We'd also really appreciate you guys continuing to spread the good word so we can hire more awesome editors and programmers!

Email us at "[email protected]" if you prefer and we will get back to you privately. Or PM me; up to you! :)

Have a great day everyone!

- Ben

whatdidigetinto

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2012
Status
Medical Student
A couple of people have asked me about what I plan on doing. I've always been more of a textbook reader but as much as I feel like I'm learning, when it comes down to exams I walk away feeling like I know nothing about the subject. I figure there's only so many ways you can ask somebody about a subject.

So in order to cover all the bases I bought 3 months of Rx in October, a year of GT in August... my school has a mandatory 3 month Kaplan program that starts February but I highly doubt I will be using it much. Starting in January, six months of UWorld.

After July if my score was any good I'll post it in the 2011 thread with a more complete overview of my methodology and rank different stuff according to usefulness I guess.
How much did you end up getting?