Gunners and residencies

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

ladyVA

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
OK question (possibly stupid) -

If a school has a pass/fail system, why are there so many 'gunners' for competitive specialties?

I mean, if you pass with a 75 or a 95, how will that matter as to where you get placed? Are gunners just making sure they do well on USMLEs by preparing on day one?

Members don't see this ad.

Some aren't real P/F, you can get different descriptions in your dean's letter, differently binning. The USMLE's are a factor. By far the biggest factor is that these people had to get into the best college, the best medical school, the best specialty... do you think they're going to treat tests any differently?

There is no such thing as a "truly" pass/fail school.

Despite having only "pass" grades, usually some type of data is sent to residency programs as to where you stand in your class. In pass/fail schools, this data is sometimes vague or obscured but there is definitely some hint of it. There are still ways to stratify students and figure out where in their class they probably stand.

Members don't see this ad :)
jennyboo said:
There is no such thing as a "truly" pass/fail school.

Despite having only "pass" grades, usually some type of data is sent to residency programs as to where you stand in your class. In pass/fail schools, this data is sometimes vague or obscured but there is definitely some hint of it. There are still ways to stratify students and figure out where in their class they probably stand.

oh ok I did not know this.... thanks.

erythropoietin said:
oh ok I did not know this.... thanks.

Our school is pass/fail, but for our clinical rotations we have a high pass option available. Also, there are one or two classes in the first two years of school that have a high pass option.

erythropoietin said:
OK question (possibly stupid) -

If a school has a pass/fail system, why are there so many 'gunners' for competitive specialties?

I mean, if you pass with a 75 or a 95, how will that matter as to where you get placed? Are gunners just making sure they do well on USMLEs by preparing on day one?

Not just that, but class rank is kept among the school....they wont tell you, but it will magically show up for when you are applying for residencies.

BaylorGuy said:
Not just that, but class rank is kept among the school....they wont tell you, but it will magically show up for when you are applying for residencies.

At my P/F school most the "passers" are unaware that if you perform at an "honors" level the IOR sends a letter of recognition to the Dean to be included in your deans letter. I think its kinda sh*ty to tell people it's pass/fail then give people an equivalent of honors anyway. But it keeps the competition down so im not sweating it.