Gunners in FM residencies?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

soulfishsix

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Do FM residencies with the best reputations (e.g. at the top of the Doximity rankings) ever attract hyper-competitive folks? There must be some even in FM, right?

Or are there specific programs that are known for having gunner residents?

Top-notch training would be great but not at the expense of self-esteem/sanity... :(

Members don't see this ad.

Yes there are some people that some others would consider gunners at some family medicine residencies. Just like in any other field of medicine. Or any job.

The best way to figure out the culture of a program is to do a rotation there.

Do FM residencies with the best reputations (e.g. at the top of the Doximity rankings) ever attract hyper-competitive folks? There must be some even in FM, right?

Top-notch training would be great but not at the expense of self-esteem/sanity... :(

From what my buddies tell me JPS has that mentality somewhat.

I would say every medical student is a gunner in some sense. Maybe there are exceptions but you have to have some sort of gunner mentality to have reached MS4 year.

Also that question is very hard to answer because there are gunners in every field. Once you get into residency you start to think about employment/fellowship, etc. so its medicalschool all over again but instead fellowship/employment is at the end of the tunnel

Last edited: