Status
Not open for further replies.
Dec 27, 2009
Status
I've been really fortunate this admissions cycle to earn acceptances from multiple schools. I think all of the schools are great, and I'd be happy to attend each one for various reasons. My long term career plan is to work in academic medicine, probably within one of the IM subspecialities. Because all of my choices are ranked similarly according to most official sources (mid-to-low tier), I thought I'd throw my list up here and get gut (ie. first glance) opinions about which school others would attend. I'm basically trying to gauge widespread perception of academic and overall quality, at least among SDNers. Before you post, please understand that I'm not going to make my decision based solely on this factor, I understand that I can achieve my goals with an education at any of these schools, and that my eventual success depends more on me than the school.

Here are the schools.

Tulane University SOM
Marshall University SOM
Drexel
Albany Medical College
Commonwealth Medical College (New School in Scranton)
NYMC

Let me know what you think. In your mind, do any of these schools stand out from the others in terms of academic quality, research, prestige etc.? Is there one that you'd attend over the others? Where would you go and why?

LIDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
Status
Medical Student
I've been really fortunate this admissions cycle to earn acceptances from multiple schools. I think all of the schools are great, and I'd be happy to attend each one for various reasons. My long term career plan is to work in academic medicine, probably within one of the IM subspecialities. Because all of my choices are ranked similarly according to most official sources (mid-to-low tier), I thought I'd throw my list up here and get gut (ie. first glance) opinions about which school others would attend. I'm basically trying to gauge widespread perception of academic and overall quality, at least among SDNers. Before you post, please understand that I'm not going to make my decision based solely on this factor, I understand that I can achieve my goals with an education at any of these schools, and that my eventual success depends more on me than the school.

Here are the schools.

Tulane University SOM
Marshall University SOM
Drexel
Albany Medical College
Commonwealth Medical College (New School in Scranton)
NYMC

Let me know what you think. In your mind, do any of these schools stand out from the others in terms of academic quality, research, prestige etc.? Is there one that you'd attend over the others? Where would you go and why?
I would pick either Tulane or Drexel. Probably Drexel, due to better facilities, diverse population, location, academics.

Cross out Commonwealth....don't be a test subject...unless they are paying for all of your tuition (some new medical schools have done this).....then MAYBE......

Scratch NYMC.....they are facing HUGE financial crises. Last rumor I heard was that NYMC will merge with Touro (DO).....not cool.

Marshall and Albany.....why pick these over Drexel or Tulane? Unless they are giving you an awesome scholarship.

Those are my fast thoughts. Drexel.

Great job with all of your acceptance. Good luck.

Suenya

Hail Eris
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Oct 2, 2008
Status
Non-Student
AMC or Tulane, just purely gut reaction.

FWIW, AMC, NYMC and Drexel are the only ones I really know much about. I think NYMC is probably the worst choice of the 3 for an academic career, but you'll meet academic physicians from pretty much any type of school.

AMC has so many different levels of research involvment that seem pretty accessible, and they have had in the past a strong reputation in bioethics(I was told when interviewing that a new doctor was running it and the program may change, so that may be less accurate)

I don't think it will make a big difference between most of the schools, though, realistically. I'd think other considerations would weigh higher at this point.

Appless

10+ Year Member
Apr 5, 2009
Status
id go drexel based on all of those. They are similar as far as reputation goes (for w/e thats worth). Low tier i guess on sdn standards. I didnt interview at all those schools, but i did at a few of them and drexel seems like the best option. Truthfully being that they all seem very similar id base it on cost. Marshall basically only takes IS students i think, so if you are IS id go there, or the new school if all 4 years are free.

gravitywave

fourth year
Dec 19, 2009
s/p ERAS
Status
Medical Student
go for the money - attend the school with the lowest 4yr cost of attendance. you'll be glad you did. if they're all close, strongly consider location. i can't imagine that you don't see a qualitative difference between some of these places based on what you'd like your surroundings to be for the next four years.

EDIT: i'd understand assigning negative points to Commonwealth, though. they are SO new that reactions from residency directors might be unpredictable.

Last edited:
Dec 27, 2009
Status
go for the money - attend the school with the lowest 4yr cost of attendance. you'll be glad you did. if they're all close, strongly consider location. i can't imagine that you don't see a qualitative difference between some of these places based on what you'd like your surroundings to be for the next four years

EDIT: i'd understand assigning negative points to Commonwealth, though. they are SO new that reactions from residency directors might be unpredictable.
Thanks for the great feedback. I wasn't aware of the financial problems at NYMC... not a question that I had thought of asking. Does anyone have any firsthand insight into how these issues might directly affect residency placement 4 years down the line.

As far as qualitative criteria, I have some thoughts, but I wanted to keep the discussion focused on academics/repuation. Let's assume that all of the schools cost the same.

(Got into Marshall OOS, which is nice, but means that I need to pay full tuition, and I haven't heard anything about scholarships from Commonwealth)

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I don't see much of a difference really in terms of reputation, I'd probably pick Tulane or Drexel depending on what part of the country you'd rather be in.

d1ony5u5

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 11, 2009
somewhere
Status
Medical Student
OP, my gut reaction would be Tulane. I think it just has a little more perceived pedigree, and that is usually a lot more important in academic medicine than in other subfields of medicine. I can't really speak of the quality of education since I didn't apply to the school...

I'd also suggest placing Commonwealth low on your preference list. This because I know -from having looked into them when deciding where to apply- they are a community based program, as opposed to a research heavy program. You could probably find opportunities, but I think it is safe to say that they would be scarcer than at some of the other bigger universities on your list...

Since it seems all others are sort of a wash in perceived prestige, I would suggest 2 things. 1st, try to get some feedback from mentors that you worked with who are in academic positions. They'll probably give you very valuable advice since they are usually involved in the recruitment and hiring of junior faculty. 2nd, look at the schools' departments in your specific area of interest. If one school happens to have some more big names in the particular departments that you see yourself going into, that could be a good basis for deciding...

Good luck!

Dec 27, 2009
Status
OP, my gut reaction would be Tulane. I think it just has a little more perceived pedigree, and that is usually a lot more important in academic medicine than in other subfields of medicine. I can't really speak of the quality of education since I didn't apply to the school...

I'd also suggest placing Commonwealth low on your preference list. This because I know -from having looked into them when deciding where to apply- they are a community based program, as opposed to a research heavy program. You could probably find opportunities, but I think it is safe to say that they would be scarcer than at some of the other bigger universities on your list...

Since it seems all others are sort of a wash in perceived prestige, I would suggest 2 things. 1st, try to get some feedback from mentors that you worked with who are in academic positions. They'll probably give you very valuable advice since they are usually involved in the recruitment and hiring of junior faculty. 2nd, look at the schools' departments in your specific area of interest. If one school happens to have some more big names in the particular departments that you see yourself going into, that could be a good basis for deciding...

Good luck!
Thanks for the great input. My one concern is that Tulane has lost a lot of its research faculty due to Katrina. I loved the school and loved the people, but I feel as though research opportunities may be limited. On the other hand, the fact that they will be rebuilding their research base may present an opportunity in its own right.

drizzt3117

chick magnet
10+ Year Member
Oct 29, 2006
Status
Resident [Any Field]
To be totally honest, none of the schools you're considering (with the exception of tulane in infectious disease/tropical medicine) are research powerhouses. If you want to do academic med I'd consider doing research away and a year off if possible depending on the field you're interested in.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Which one will be cheapest? If you want to go into academic medicine, it is to your advantage to limit your debt-load.

Dec 27, 2009
Status
Which one will be cheapest? If you want to go into academic medicine, it is to your advantage to limit your debt-load.

They're all pretty close in price, meaning that they're all pretty expensive. Unfortunately, I was one of the rare out of state acceptees at Marshall, so I don't get any tuition advantage there.

mdeast

7+ Year Member
Jun 22, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
They're all pretty close in price, meaning that they're all pretty expensive. Unfortunately, I was one of the rare out of state acceptees at Marshall, so I don't get any tuition advantage there.
Eh. If you go into academic medicine, there are programs to help you pay back debt. If you're under a NIH grant, you can apply for the gov't to pay back up to $30,000/year in your loans. Free of charge, wiped clean. I think something like 75% of applicants are accepted. My PI is oddly enough still paying back undergrad/grad school loans at 35 (not fiscally responsible) and he used this to get rid of them.

Dec 27, 2009
Status
Thanks for the great input everyone. Narrowed it down to Tulane, Drexel, NYMC, based mostly on location. Tulane's strong public health orientation is pushing me in that direction.

whoknows2012

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status
Medical Student
I would pick either Tulane or Drexel. Probably Drexel, due to better facilities, diverse population, location, academics.

Cross out Commonwealth....don't be a test subject...unless they are paying for all of your tuition (some new medical schools have done this).....then MAYBE......

Scratch NYMC.....they are facing HUGE financial crises. Last rumor I heard was that NYMC will merge with Touro (DO).....not cool.

Marshall and Albany.....why pick these over Drexel or Tulane? Unless they are giving you an awesome scholarship.

Those are my fast thoughts. Drexel.

Great job with all of your acceptance. Good luck.

Many fallacies in your comments---first off, NYMC had financial troubles but that was quelled when they were purchased for $60 million by touro (of which $30 million went directly into the school for development). Second off, what does touro having a DO school have to do with the situation? They also have law schools, programs in education, pharmacy etc. It really irks me that uninformed people attempt to dissuade people from attending NYMC without actually knowing any facts. OP I'm not saying I'd pick NYMC if I were in your boat, but you should at least know the facts before you make an educated decision. Either way if everything else is equal I would go to the cheapest school, unless that school is not in a location you want to live in.

As a side note asking about residency take a look at NYMC's match list it is pretty impressive IMO (and the "takeover" by Touro might actually be beneficial because we will be gaining a major rotation site in HUMS (Hackensack University Medical Center))

http://www.nymc.edu/Medical/match/2010/results.htm

LIDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
Status
Medical Student
Many fallacies in your comments---first off, NYMC had financial troubles but that was quelled when they were purchased for $60 million by touro (of which $30 million went directly into the school for development). Second off, what does touro having a DO school have to do with the situation? They also have law schools, programs in education, pharmacy etc. It really irks me that uninformed people attempt to dissuade people from attending NYMC without actually knowing any facts. OP I'm not saying I'd pick NYMC if I were in your boat, but you should at least know the facts before you make an educated decision. Either way if everything else is equal I would go to the cheapest school, unless that school is not in a location you want to live in.

As a side note asking about residency take a look at NYMC's match list it is pretty impressive IMO (and the "takeover" by Touro might actually be beneficial because we will be gaining a major rotation site in HUMS (Hackensack University Medical Center))

http://www.nymc.edu/Medical/match/2010/results.htm

"Many fallacies in your comments"...really....you mean the fact that I did not realize that Touro already completed the purchase of NYMC? So, basically you further supported the fact that I think NYMC should be scratched from the list. Why would you want to attend a medical school with a huge class, in an expensive location, a huge cost of attendance, and was recently purchased by Touro? Especially when you have multiple MD acceptances.

I would never suggest a DO medical school, when the OP has been accepted to MD programs, if he/she wishes to enter academic medicine in the future. Do I think that MD is better than DO? Not necessarily. I do believe that attending an established MD program will open many more doors.

I would never suggest attending a medical school that was purchased by a DO medical school. Especially when you have multiple MD acceptances.

So, I stand by my opinion. Scratch NYMC, Marshall, Commonwealth, and Albany. The true decision is between Tulane and Drexel. Unless you were offered a great scholarship at one of the other medical schools. Then you need to reevaluate.

OP: Best of luck. You should be proud of your accomplishments. :)

JohnnyExtra

↓↘→ X
7+ Year Member
Oct 28, 2009
The Trenches
Status
Attending Physician
FWIW, Drexel has a tried and proven alternate PBL curriculum with a class size of ~65, if you are into that sort of thing. I actually turned down an interview from NYMC because I was so sold on the PIL program offered by Drexel. After 4 years of lecture based learning in undergrad, I'm over it. I'm ready for something new.

Honestly though, an MD from any of the schools you listed can get you where you want to go; it's on you to put in the work. Go where you think you'll be happiest. Good luck, and congrats on the acceptances.

whoknows2012

10+ Year Member
May 15, 2008
Status
Medical Student
"Many fallacies in your comments"...really....you mean the fact that I did not realize that Touro already completed the purchase of NYMC? So, basically you further supported the fact that I think NYMC should be scratched from the list. Why would you want to attend a medical school with a huge class, in an expensive location, a huge cost of attendance, and was recently purchased by Touro? Especially when you have multiple MD acceptances.

I would never suggest a DO medical school, when the OP has been accepted to MD programs, if he/she wishes to enter academic medicine in the future. Do I think that MD is better than DO? Not necessarily. I do believe that attending an established MD program will open many more doors.

I would never suggest attending a medical school that was purchased by a DO medical school. Especially when you have multiple MD acceptances.

So, I stand by my opinion. Scratch NYMC, Marshall, Commonwealth, and Albany. The true decision is between Tulane and Drexel. Unless you were offered a great scholarship at one of the other medical schools. Then you need to reevaluate.

OP: Best of luck. You should be proud of your accomplishments. :)
First of all it seems like I've angered you because I said you had fallacies in your post, which you did. Defensive much? Second of all, Touro having already purchased NYMC eliminated your main point about NYMC being in a "HUGE financial crisis" as you put it. Huge? Crisis? Dude come one get your facts straight. Last year there were some issues with the Archdiocese of Westchester who originally had control of the school. That has been quelled, as I explained, with Touro's purchase as they directly injected $30 million into the school after paying $30 million to the Archdiocese. Also what is all this talk about DO schools? I never said anything about that, and none of the schools originally listed are DO schools so maybe you're missing something....What I said was that Touro having a DO school is just as irrelevant as UMDNJ having both a DO and MD...who cares? (I understand Touro's reputation isn't great but thats not what were arguing). And unless your couldn't read (which based upon your response to my original post it's a possibility) I never suggested the OP should attend NYMC, I did say, however, that posters like you annoy me because you post information that is either outdated or flat out wrong about the school I attend, and for whatever reason it is rampant on these boards with regard to NYMC so I go out of my way to post when things said aren't factual. I don't know what school you attend, nor do I really care, but if I said things that weren't true I wouldn't be so offended if you corrected me. So how bout you relax and realize that you should probably only post facts in the future because these decisions are extremely big deals.

PS--Valhalla isn't exactly an expensive location, depending on where you choose to live it is anywhere from $7500-$9000 for on-campus living for 12 months. Tulane in NO and Drexel in Philly are somehow cheaper? I doubt it(see when I don't know something for sure I don't claim it as fact, instead I use terms that allow people to realize this is my opinion)

LIDO

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Apr 24, 2004
Status
Medical Student
First of all it seems like I've angered you because I said you had fallacies in your post, which you did. Defensive much? Second of all, Touro having already purchased NYMC eliminated your main point about NYMC being in a "HUGE financial crisis" as you put it. Huge? Crisis? Dude come one get your facts straight. Last year there were some issues with the Archdiocese of Westchester who originally had control of the school. That has been quelled, as I explained, with Touro's purchase as they directly injected $30 million into the school after paying $30 million to the Archdiocese. Also what is all this talk about DO schools? I never said anything about that, and none of the schools originally listed are DO schools so maybe you're missing something....What I said was that Touro having a DO school is just as irrelevant as UMDNJ having both a DO and MD...who cares? (I understand Touro's reputation isn't great but thats not what were arguing). And unless your couldn't read (which based upon your response to my original post it's a possibility) I never suggested the OP should attend NYMC, I did say, however, that posters like you annoy me because you post information that is either outdated or flat out wrong about the school I attend, and for whatever reason it is rampant on these boards with regard to NYMC so I go out of my way to post when things said aren't factual. I don't know what school you attend, nor do I really care, but if I said things that weren't true I wouldn't be so offended if you corrected me. So how bout you relax and realize that you should probably only post facts in the future because these decisions are extremely big deals.

PS--Valhalla isn't exactly an expensive location, depending on where you choose to live it is anywhere from $7500-$9000 for on-campus living for 12 months. Tulane in NO and Drexel in Philly are somehow cheaper? I doubt it(see when I don't know something for sure I don't claim it as fact, instead I use terms that allow people to realize this is my opinion)
Not annoyed. I have no reason to be annoyed. I don't care if Touro purchased NYMC last month or last year. I don't care if NYMC was cured of its fiscal crises last month or last year. I do care that the OP is considering NYMC against two much more reputable (IMHO) medical schools (Drexel and Tulane). I would never suggest NYMC / a Touro related medical school over those two schools. You could have simply stated that Touro has already purchased NYMC. Besides, what is worse......NYMC in a financial crises OR Touro purchasing NYMC?

Oh....and are you sure that Valhalla isn't an expensive location?

http://realestate.yahoo.com/New_York/Valhalla/neighborhoods

With a cost of living index at 148, it is roughly 48 percent more expensive then the national average.

Fallacy?

Oh...and Philadelphia is at an index of 101....1 percent higher:
http://realestate.yahoo.com/Pennsylvania/Philadelphia/neighborhoods;_ylt=Agj4x_och4iNUzh2HicuGTeWxol4?p=Philadelphia,+PA&search=Search&redir=1

New Orleans is at an index of 95.....5 percent below:

http://realestate.yahoo.com/Louisiana/New_Orleans/neighborhoods;_ylt=Agj4x_och4iNUzh2HicuGTeWxol4?p=New+Orleans,+LA&search=Search&redir=1

Aight....now that we argued and both made our point...sorry about my slip up.

Good luck peeps.

Last edited:

NightSwim

Stressed Applicant
5+ Year Member
Jul 30, 2009
Status
Medical Student
I do care that the OP is considering NYMC against two much more reputable (IMHO) medical schools (Drexel and Tulane). I would never suggest NYMC / a Touro related medical school over those two schools.
I disagree. I think the reputations for NYMC, Drexel, and Tulane are relatively equivalent.

JJMrK

J to the J
Moderator Emeritus
10+ Year Member
Apr 27, 2007
Status
Resident [Any Field]
If the cost is equal I'd probably go to Drexel or Tulane. Personally, I'd pick Drexel for its location.

Status
Not open for further replies.