Guy at UCLA told me the wrong interview date!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

barb

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
After waiting a few weeks after sending my interview date sheet, I called UCLA and the guy told me my interview was next week. He told me the exact time and everything, and said I would be receiving the info by snail mail within the next few days. However, since it was such short notice, I needed to make my travel arrangements before receiving the actual letter so I could still get 7-day adv. purchase, etc. So I made the arrangements and got a great hotel through priceline. Today I received the letter, and the actual date of the interview is 2 weeks later than what the guy told me. Because I did the hotel on priceline, it's non-refundable. Should I ask UCLA if they could squeeze me in on the date that I was told or should I just cut my losses? I don't want to make them mad before my interview, however, this whole application process has left me pretty penniless and I really don't have the money to throw away.

Members don't see this ad.

I think you should try to call them up and tell them what happened very politely. It was their error, but don't upset them.

I'm sorry this happened to you.....I feel worried every time I book something online...it took me 4 hours to get up the courage to book a hotel online yesterday, and I'm still too chicken to book the flight :)

Good luck to you

I'd give it a try..just be really polite. Tell them there was some confusion over the phone and explain the situation...just don't go out and accuse them of telling you the wrong date because that won't make them very happy. just stay polite!

Members don't see this ad :)
While it is important to stay polite, it is also important to make sure you let them know it is their fault. At this stage in the game they are seeking you. Admissions staff tend to be more polite (atleast a bit more) to you so I think you'll have a good shot at getting what you want as long as it is available. be strong and gentle.

barb call them up, i know they have vacancies this coming week so see if they can change your date.

Eat the cost of the Hotel Room. If there is anything I learned from medical school, it is that its never the administration's fault. If any thing say that there was a communication problem between YOU and UCLA's program director. Is there anyway they can fit you in on whatever date you had planned. If not, eat the cost. When it comes down to it, you need them, they don't need you. There are plenty of applicants in the pool.

Sorry if it seems cold and harsh, but its life. THe last thing you do in medicine is blame the school. As the student, its always your fault, even if its not. HA!!

Barb,

as others had suggested, just give UCLA a call and see what happens. as long as you're not rude about it, you really don't have anything to lose.

i was just wondering what interview date they gave you? i have to sign up for a date and i was just wondering where they are in terms of their interviews.

calbear :)

I wonder if it is possible to stop things like this from happening by asking the admissions offices to email you all the information so you can have it in hand. That way you would have a bit of a leg up when you call them and tell them your email has the wrong date. I would think they would squeeze you in if they saw that it was their mistake.

As to your situation, I think I would call and ask polietly if they could interview you on that day. If they can't, then polietly tell them you understand and then eat the cost. Do you really get better prices going the route you did rather than booking your hotel online using the hotel server wb page. They ususally always have internet specials.

Thanks everyone for all your help. I will first call the hotel and see if they will let me change my date (even though the website says no changes are possible). If not, I'll call UCLA and see what they can do. If worst comes to worst, I'll just lose the money for the hotel. At this point, I don't want to ruffle any feathers. UCLA is by far my first choice and I really don't want to make them mad by telling they made an error.
CalBear, my interview was scheduled for late Feb.
AmyBeth, up until now, using priceline to book my hotels has worked like a dream. I've stayed at the Crown Plaza Hotel and the Marriott (both 3 star hotels) for less than $50/night. It really helped staying in a nice place the night before my interviews.

Barb,

A similar thing happened to me too. I got my plane ticket and everything all purchased well in advance so that I can save at least a little bit of $$. ONE DAY prior to my interview, I got a call and was told that my interviewer cancelled at the last min. I was asked, if I wanted to come in the following day, WHICH simply couldn't work because a change is a change...the airline won't change the date without charging you an add'l fee (which in my case was three times my ticket price). The UCLA adminstrators were really nice and told me that they would try to accommodate my schedule as much as they could, but yet, they wouldn't be reimbursing my loss (they didn't tell me downright, but you get an idea at the end of conversation). I say, if you still want to give a call to the office, do go ahead. I almost guarantee they won't be able to help you financially. I think, it's better for you to call the hotel directly and see if the date of your staying can be postponed. In terms of your airfare, unless you've also got this via Priceline, you should be reimbursed in terms of an airline credit. Good luck!!!

I called UCLA today and told them what happened. I did not ask them to change my interview date, I just hinted that it would be more convenient if I could go at the time I initially thought I was supposed to have my interview. The lady I talked to was incredibly nice. She arranged for me to change my interview date so I wouldn't lose my hotel and airline reservations. :clap: :clap: :clap: