Guy got a 42S, but said it was w/ only 3 weeks of studying. How likely is this?

NameAlreadyTake

10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
This question is based off a thread I read on another forum, where a guy claimed to have gotten a 42S with only 3 weeks of studying over winter break (12-15hrs a day). I believe the score because he posted adequate proof, but what do you all think about the amount of time he supposedly studied for?

Link to the post where he says the time he spend studying. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=388621191&highlight=winter#post388621191

Link to the thread/first post where he proves his score
http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=119269831

Apr 6, 2010
Status
I don't see why this is unbelievable. Everything covered on the MCAT is available in the first two years of undergrad work (though most people don't actually do all the stuff in their first two years). If you already know the physics, chem, and bio cold, you wouldn't need a lot of review to ace those sections. And the verbal and writing parts are not likely to come up significantly with a few months of study -- that's more a measure of how well you have developed those abilities over the previous few years or decades of your life.

Mar 30, 2010
Status
Medical Student
Maybe I am just envious, but I find this hard to believe. The guy claims that he spent 15 hours a day. Considering that the average time spent studying for MCAT is 300 hours, let's do simple math:

3 x 7 x 15 = 315 hours of studying. So he barely passed the 300 hour mark. But this is the average time spent studying, mind you. Nowhere near enough to get a 42. But then again, maybe he did study for three weeks only. I don't see what he has to gain by lying on a forum.

Anyway, the point is that he actually did get a 42. Wow. Whether he studied 3 weeks or 3 years, a 42 is just amazing. :bow:

Oncoloman

Mar 29, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Maybe I am just envious, but I find this hard to believe. The guy claims that he spent 15 hours a day. Considering that the average time spent studying for MCAT is 300 hours, let's do simple math:

3 x 7 x 15 = 315 hours of studying. So he barely passed the 300 hour mark. But this is the average time spent studying, mind you. Nowhere near enough to get a 42. But then again, maybe he did study for three weeks only. I don't see what he has to gain by lying on a forum.

Anyway, the point is that he actually did get a 42. Wow. Whether he studied 3 weeks or 3 years, a 42 is just amazing. :bow:
Yess it it. I know I did extremely well on my BS but these past few weeks I just been going crazy thinking about the PS and VR sections. I saw one guy from 1/30 got a 41. Check it out for yourselves.

MegaSpectacular

Removed
Dec 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical

lol, the guy did it. Why is it so hard to believe.

A. Work really hard in pre-reqs and own the subject
B. Take upper division courses which use the fundamentals regularly
C. Study hard (some have more endurance than others)

Bio majors or people who work in labs sometimes rarely prep Bio and still get 15s. Physics majors or Chemical engineering majors can own Ochem/chem/physics... then only have to study Bio.

If you come into the MCAT with a really strong strength then you can shorten your prep.

It really isn't fantastical. Lots can get 15/15 or 14/14 in sciences, this guy just had the 3rd piece of the puzzle, VR. Which many who are great at science don't have developed.

Btw also, a guy who scores a 13 on VR could normally get 10 or 11, and just have a good day. Vishidas on this site only got like 11 on the VR but was averaging like 13-15. VR can jump +/- 3 pts pretty easy.

The guy had the whole package, tip of the hat.

libraryismyhome

Membership Revoked
Removed
Account on Hold
7+ Year Member
Mar 6, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I have a friend who studied for 4 days and got 35. Another got 33 without even studying Their parents are doctors, so somehow their parents conditioned them well to think like doctors since their early childhood.

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
This question is based off a thread I read on another forum, where a guy claimed to have gotten a 42S with only 3 weeks of studying over winter break (12-15hrs a day). I believe the score because he posted adequate proof, but what do you all think about the amount of time he supposedly studied for?

Link to the post where he says the time he spend studying. http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=388621191&highlight=winter#post388621191

What a loser. Who studies that much in a day. Ironically, the same individual who said no one does that or it's stupid to do that praises this individual. My friend got a 43 and put no more than 120 hours, no joke. There are some sharp kids out there. I don't doubt it for a second.

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status

On second thought, that guy posts on SDN. His handle is Fenguin. I know it's him because I actually talked to him. Here is a link to his 30+ post:
1) Your individual scores and composite score
13V, 14P, 15B, S = 42S

2) The study method used for each section
Verbal: Tried using Kaplan's verbal strategy at first, found it difficult to apply in test situations (writing topic/scope/purpose is such a waste of time!). Then read ExamKrackers' short verbal guide, did most of the tests from EK 101.
Physical Sciences: I've taken a bunch of physics classes so I focused on the chemistry aspect, working through the Kaplan and EK books.
Biological Sciences: This took about 90% of my time. I read the Kaplan and EK review books cover to cover, and then did all the EK 1001's for Biology and Organic Chemistry, along with most of Kaplan's online topic tests.

3) What materials you used for each section(Kaplan, TPR, Examkrackers, AAMC, etc)
See above.

4) Which practice tests did you use?
AAMC 3-6

5) What was your undergraduate major?
Bioengineering

6) Any other tips you may have for those of us who still have this test lurking over us?
Study hard, but most of all study efficiently. Everyone has a different learning style, and the only way you can succeed on the MCAT is if you study for it using the method that works best for you. As a result, don't just take a Kaplan/PR/EK course and just do what they tell you to do - you need to look back at the studying you've done for other classes and try to see what gave you the best results.

7) How long did you study for the MCAT?
Took a Kaplan course last Fall but didn't really go to the classes as I didn't find them particularly useful. I did most of my studying over ~3 weeks during winter break, about 12-15 hours a day.

MegaSpectacular

Removed
Dec 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
What a loser. Who studies that much in a day. Ironically, the same individual who said no one does that or it's stupid to do that praises this individual. My friend got a 43 and put no more than 120 hours, no joke. There are some sharp kids out there. I don't doubt it for a second.
I praised the balance and the score, not sitting in a chair all day like you were talking about. Plus he is posting on a body building forum, so I bet he isn't lazy. He probably went to the gym when he wasn't studying.

It makes no sense to deeply examine how many hours someone preps. There are people like you who say 12-16 hours then change their mind to 8-10 hours 5 minutes later, no one really knows how much time you spent studying nor if you are telling the truth after changing your story. Then there are people like this guy who are biomedical engineering majors who start with a strong scientific base. I will rarely if ever pay attention to "total prep hours" because not everyone starts from the same position.

I just thought it was funny that you spent your free time after 10 hours a day in studying by sitting on a computer playing games or surfing the web for 4 hours. Most people would want to actually go outside or get out of a chair in those extra 4 hours.

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status
I praised the balance and the score, not sitting in a chair all day like you were talking about. Plus he is posting on a body building forum, so I bet he isn't lazy. He probably went to the gym when he wasn't studying.

It makes no sense to deeply examine how many hours someone preps. There are people like you who say 12-16 hours then change their mind to 8-10 hours 5 minutes later, no one really knows how much time you spent studying nor if you are telling the truth after changing your story. Then there are people like this guy who are biomedical engineering majors who start with a strong scientific base. I will rarely if ever pay attention to "total prep hours" because not everyone starts from the same position.

I just thought it was funny that you spent your free time after 10 hours a day in studying by sitting on a computer playing games or surfing the web for 4 hours. Most people would want to actually go outside or get out of a chair in those extra 4 hours.
No, I said between 12-16 hours WITH a break every 5 days. Go back to the original post. I actually studied 8-10 hours. If I study during 2 hours, do you actually study during those full 2 hours. No, I kept a stop watch of the actual time I studied. On average over 2 hours, you probably are only actually studying for 80/120 minutes if you're lucky.

Finally, how does someone who studies on and off for 12-16 hours and of that time actually gets stuff done for 8-10 hours lazy? Lol, you're a funny kid. My guess is you would never know this because you can't sit and study 6 to 8 hours straight like I or other people can. Now, will I have my lapses, yes, so that's why I did the stop watch method that someone in the 30+ forum stated. Online Poker man. There's no shame in spending 4 hours doing that. None at all. It was for 4 weeks. So, how is that pathetic. 4 weeks of sacrifice were worth it. If you're game, I play on thegreek, full tilt, and 5dimes. I'm game for taking your money. Don't every play on Pokerstars. That site is rigged but that's a story for another day.

MegaSpectacular

Removed
Dec 27, 2009
Status
Pre-Medical
No, I said between 12-16 hours WITH a break every 5 days. Go back to the original post. I actually studied 8-10 hours. If I study during 2 hours, do you actually study during those full 2 hours. No, I kept a stop watch of the actual time I studied. On average over 2 hours, you probably are only actually studying for 80/120 minutes if you're lucky.

Finally, how does someone who studies on and off for 12-16 hours and of that time actually gets stuff done for 8-10 hours lazy? Lol, you're a funny kid. My guess is you would never know this because you can't sit and study 6 to 8 hours straight like I or other people can. Now, will I have my lapses, yes, so that's why I did the stop watch method that someone in the 30+ forum stated. Online Poker man. There's no shame in spending 4 hours doing that. None at all. It was for 4 weeks. So, how is that pathetic. 4 weeks of sacrifice were worth it. If you're game, I play on thegreek, full tilt, and 5dimes. I'm game for taking your money. Don't every play on Pokerstars. That site is rigged but that's a story for another day.
I'm over it. Good job, hope you do well.

Sorry if I insulted you earlier. I'm sure you actually work hard. Good luck

PhilIvey

Poker Aficionado
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
May 2, 2006
Status

QofQuimica

Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
Staff member
Administrator
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Oct 12, 2004
Florida/Fellowship
Status
Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
You all are way over-analyzing this person's story. First, very few people will manage to get a 40+ on the MCAT simply because of how the test is scaled. That's true regardless of whether they studied for 1 hour or 1000 hours. Second, the amount of time that different people have to study to earn the same score varies widely. From what I've observed while teaching Kaplan on and off over the past 14 years, most students score in the high teens-low 20s on their MCAT diagnostic. A few people start out in the mid-to-high 20s range, and unsurprisingly, they tend to score 30+ with much less effort than someone who started out ten or 15 points lower.

Then there was the one kid who got a 36 on his diagnostic, and I marched him up to the front office to get an employment app. :hungover:

Mar 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
I'd say it's possible. But there are so many factors involved. When someone says "I didn't study much for the test." We don't really know what their habits could be in regards to their methods/time spent for studying. What may be hardcore studying for one person may be "not much studying" for another. People have different ideas/definitions of studying.

This person who got the 42 could've had a strong background b/c he remembered things from his college classes. He could've liked his test more than others. Could've been a bunch of other factors too.

Ahsan

MCAT SLAYER
Dec 22, 2009
Status
INSTEAD OF ANALYZING WHAT SHE DID OR HE DID, ANALYZE WHAT YOU ARE GOING TO DO!!
How can you improve your scores efficiently? This conversation is so obsolete. There is no need to pull each others hair!! lol! JUST STUDY YOU ASS OFF AND YOU WILL BE FINE!

RogueUnicorn

rawr.
7+ Year Member
Jul 15, 2009
Status
Resident [Any Field]
How can you improve your scores efficiently? This conversation is so obsolete. There is no need to pull each others hair!! lol! JUST STUDY YOU ASS OFF AND YOU WILL BE FINE!
i applaud your attitude. this is the way to approach things imo

Mar 10, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
Yeah I definitely agree. But also if there is some technique or a tip someone picks up, then hey I guess it was worth "worrying" about their score.

CapnCrunch

You've been Crunchitized!
Aug 18, 2009
Cereal Box
Status
Pre-Medical

Neither of these links work for me atm... Maybe site update?

siliso

10+ Year Member
Oct 18, 2008
Status
Attending Physician
Someone with the capacity to get a 42 probably does not need to study as much as someone who is trying to get from a 25 to a 30. There's more going into it than time and effort - some element of native aptitude.

fenguin

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Come at me, bro

Edit: Guess I should say something on point. My diagnostic was a 29 if I recall correctly as I didn't know much about chemistry, biology or organic chemistry. (My bioengineering degree was focused primarily on medical imaging/signal processing.) Luckily I was able to find the period of three weeks over winter break where I could study completely undisturbed (home from school) and accordingly I planned out those three weeks to the hour, giving myself rote memorization, practice and review time every day. I think during those days I did 500+ practice problems per day which planted all of the aforementioned weak subjects firmly in my mind.

Obviously I don't recommend what I did to everyone - I spent the semester before focusing on classes, research, and going out on weekends. Many of my colleagues sacrificed at least one of the above for MCAT preparation; again, I was lucky that I could do it all over break.

Also, who are you OP? On the Misc I mean

Edit 2:
Yess it it. I know I did extremely well on my BS but these past few weeks I just been going crazy thinking about the PS and VR sections. I saw one guy from 1/30 got a 41. Check it out for yourselves.
Saw you just took the March MCAT. Good luck with your score - the wait is definitely agonizing!

Last edited:
Apr 13, 2010
California
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi Fenguin,

How's it going? Congrats on your MCAT score.

I'm planning to take the May 27 MCAT and just started prepping. Since I'm currently in school, I'm planning to take 6 weeks to prepare. I was wondering if you made a MCAT schedule somewhat like Sn2ed? If so I was wondering if you would be willing to PM me your study schedule. It would be greatly appreciated. I could really use some pointers on how to prep in a short time.

NameAlreadyTake

10+ Year Member
Apr 13, 2008
Status
Not that I would ever brag about my score, but I didn't review or do a single practice test, left approximately 20% of the test blank, and I still did well enough to get into almost every DO school I applied to. Some people are just smarter than others. A 42 after 3 weeks of hardcore studying is not too far fetched.
You left 20% of the test blank? What score did you get.

loveoforganic

-Account Deactivated-
10+ Year Member
Jan 30, 2009
Status
I know someone who essentially flipped through a single kaplan book over the course of 2 weeks, never took a practice test, scored a 37. Some people are just really intelligent.

g8orlife

chomp
7+ Year Member
Sep 15, 2009
A quagmire
Status
Resident [Any Field]
I know someone who essentially flipped through a single kaplan book over the course of 2 weeks, never took a practice test, scored a 37. Some people are just really intelligent.
I agree.

My Kaplan teacher's story/timeline:
~ Diagnostic = 34
~ hired by Kaplan
~ studied 2.5 weeks (while starting to teach Kaplan course ... BEFORE even taking the mcat!)
~ 1 Practice test = 39
~ few days of review
~ Real deal = 42

Total = 3 weeks

Last edited:

fenguin

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Nov 2, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Hi Fenguin,

How's it going? Congrats on your MCAT score.

I'm planning to take the May 27 MCAT and just started prepping. Since I'm currently in school, I'm planning to take 6 weeks to prepare. I was wondering if you made a MCAT schedule somewhat like Sn2ed? If so I was wondering if you would be willing to PM me your study schedule. It would be greatly appreciated. I could really use some pointers on how to prep in a short time.
I never actually typed my MCAT schedule up (I printed out a calendar and wrote it in) so sorry I can't post it up here. However, it was pretty standard - I did all my learning in the first week using EK/other resources, and did many, many practice problems the rest of the time. I worked in the full-lengths so I would maybe do one every 5-6 days.

Not that I would ever brag about my score, but I didn't review or do a single practice test, left approximately 20% of the test blank, and I still did well enough to get into almost every DO school I applied to. Some people are just smarter than others. A 42 after 3 weeks of hardcore studying is not too far fetched.
Absolutely, there are definitely people who can take tests extremely well after little preparation. Since the MCAT is only somewhat dependent on knowledge and mainly dependent on critical analysis, having the latter from the start and only having to cram in the knowledge makes studying much easier.

For those of you who fit the above category, any standardized tests shouldn't be a problem for you. Having very well-honed critical thinking and logical skills would make the LSAT a breeze if any of you have considered that route - I know this from experience as I studied at most a week for the December LSAT, taking no practice tests, and did surprisingly well.

Cramster

One
Jun 3, 2010
Status
What worked for me was taking the Kaplan course, going through all of the Kaplan material and then using the EK books (textbooks and 1001 Q's) near the end to refresh my memory. I felt that EK's a lot better organized than Kaplan and so it's great for compartmentalizing everything near the end of your studying, but as killinsound said, Kaplan has a lot more material and so it might be advantageous to go through their books first.
Lol look what I found.

3 weeks huh

Cramster

One
Jun 3, 2010
Status
lol.

Kaplan has an online course, you can do it at whatever pace you want.

Not your best find.
http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6283164#post6283164

Not the online class. He says so himself above

Though he claims he did "most of his studying" over 3 weeks, combining these two posts would suggest that he went through the kaplan lackadaisically over a period of the classroom course then got serious and did EK on his own over 3 weeks. Funny he didn't mention the kaplan class from the beginning.

:laugh:

punktux

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2007
Status
Medical Student
it's always easy to glorify things after they occurred SUCCESSFULLY.

keep your head straight and ignore such distracting story.

JP2740

7+ Year Member
Nov 6, 2009
Status
Fellow [Any Field]
The answer to your question is, who gives a ****? What score do you want? Find this out, then do what YOU need to do to get that. What someone else did and how they did it to get that score is an individual thing.

May 16, 2010
Status
who cares life isn't fair some people are just a bit more talented/gifted. Photographic memory goes a long way and if their brain can soak up in info in 1 read, and then analyze it for the MCAT, of course he can make a 42 in a few weeks of studying.

TriagePreMed

Membership Revoked
Removed
Apr 28, 2010
Status
There are 2 clear possibilities: he's telling the truth, or he's lying. If he's lying, there is no discussion needed. He either didn't score that or he studied his ass off and is now trying to brag. If he's telling the truth, it could be he's one of those people with photographic memory that really "got it" from his pre-med courses.

There is no way of saying "how likely" it is, but we could reasonably deduce if it is possible. Either way, I'm not a 42 with 3 weeks of studying guy. I'll have to bust my ass for that.

LostInStudy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
This whole argument amuses me. Even if you are a MCAT in 3 weeks person, do you want to find out? Or would you rather work hard and guarantee yourself a great score. As impressive as it might be to score a 42 in 3 weeks I think OP would be at a severe disadvantage in Medical School. From what I've seen and heard from people in Medical school, it's not about how smart you are but more about busting your butt and studying for the first 2 years. Mind as well get used to it now rather than get into medical school and find out you can't handle it.

-LIS

Cramster

One
Jun 3, 2010
Status
If you read the post from the link above you'll see he admits having taken the Kaplan classroom course before using EK.

Ugggh, nevermind. I'm just trying to take breaks between studying for the 6/17th exam.

Jan 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
This whole argument amuses me. Even if you are a MCAT in 3 weeks person, do you want to find out? Or would you rather work hard and guarantee yourself a great score. As impressive as it might be to score a 42 in 3 weeks I think OP would be at a severe disadvantage in Medical School. From what I've seen and heard from people in Medical school, it's not about how smart you are but more about busting your butt and studying for the first 2 years. Mind as well get used to it now rather than get into medical school and find out you can't handle it.

-LIS
true dat

phltz

7+ Year Member
May 13, 2010
Status
Medical Student
I think the thing to keep in mind here is that a typical student actually spends several years preparing for the MCAT. It'll generally take 2 years to do general chemistry and organic chemistry. Physics and bio classes might or might not be taken concurrently, but 2 years is a reasonable minimum for someone who has completed the premed requirements in college. No one is going to learn all the material and study for the MCAT in 3 weeks. In 2 years and 3 weeks, sure, why not?

If you already know the material totally solid, you don't have to spend a lot of time "studying for the MCAT". Me? I worked as a physics teacher for a few years before taking the MCAT. Once I bought some MCAT books and started taking practice exams, I didn't spend any time on physics. Sure, I could claim that I didn't study for the physics section at all. But it'd be just as accurate to say I spent several years studying for it. It's not clear to me that it's worth arguing over which of these is more accurate. And it's probably not worth your time stressing over how that compares with your situation. Everyone comes into this from a slightly different angle.

LostInStudy

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2008
Status
Pre-Medical
Now that I look back at my college experience, I think it would have been SO beneficial for me to take all my biology and chemistry and physics courses concurrently. After I would have finished I think 1.5-2 months MAX would have gotten me the same score. If you work hard you can maintain a great GPA and at the same time you're studying for the MCAT essentially. You put in the work the first two years and get a great MCAT score as a reward, that's worth it to me.

-LIS

May 16, 2010
Status
Now that I look back at my college experience, I think it would have been SO beneficial for me to take all my biology and chemistry and physics courses concurrently. After I would have finished I think 1.5-2 months MAX would have gotten me the same score. If you work hard you can maintain a great GPA and at the same time you're studying for the MCAT essentially. You put in the work the first two years and get a great MCAT score as a reward, that's worth it to me.

-LIS
I think a lot of it has to do with people that took AP classes in high school/ worked hard and made like 5s on their AP tests in (bio/physics/chem), and that way their college classes are pretty much a review of what they have already learned, and ironing out the small details. Those people really could afford to study just 1-2 month and get a 37+ MCAT.

Nov 15, 2009
Status
Why does it matter? Either he is telling the truth or lying. It doesn't change the amount of time you have to study.

Last edited:

anbuitachi

ASA Member
10+ Year Member
Oct 26, 2008
Utah
Status
Resident [Any Field]
it's totally believable. there are so many kids here that are just amazing and better. a friend of mine remembers almost everything from just reading it once. i totally can see her getting 42 with 3 weeks of studying. some people are just like that and can do really well without doing much =\

SoFreakedOut

Resident Hottie
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 12, 2007
Status
Pre-Medical
I have a friend who studied for 4 days and got 35. Another got 33 without even studying Their parents are doctors, so somehow their parents conditioned them well to think like doctors since their early childhood.
That's great for your friends but you really have to have some balls to think you're sufficiently prepared (without taking at least one practice test to assess that your perception of your skills are accurate) or be a complete idiot to not study at all or study for 4 days.

Apr 28, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
That's great for your friends but you really have to have some balls to think you're sufficiently prepared (without taking at least one practice test to assess that your perception of your skills are accurate) or be a complete idiot to not study at all or study for 4 days.
He's probably exaggerating a bit, or his friends were. But, either way if it's true then they are just intelligent; not really idiots since they got good scores lol.