Guys, how do you style your hair? Gel?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

kreno

Candy Man
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
For 22 years whenever I try to look "good," like if I'm gonna go out or whatever, I gel my hair. But something seems inherently, well, i don't know... immature, about "gelling" hair when you're wearing a suit and going to a conservative, medical school interview! Now, I'm not saying I'm gonna be parting my hair... but, well, I don't know. Those with experience, how did you do your hair? I have normal guys short hair.
kreno

Members don't see this ad.

I gel my hair too. When I go for a med school interview I'm thinking I'll just get my hair cut really really short ala Dr. Ross from ER. That way I don't have to worry about it. Will probably use a lil gel so it doesn't stick straight up or something.

Even Pat Riley geled his hair (I wonder if it's geled or gelled or okay what the hell is it?). He is professional. I think you should gel your hair, it's not a bad idea. Now if you got big spikes you may consider laying the puppies down for a day.

X

Members don't see this ad :)
is it me or has the bottom dropped out on the average iq of this place in the last few days?

Dude, just be yourself. Didnt you send in a picture of yourself on your secondary applications to these school? Well, just look the same way you looked in your picture and dont even sweat it.

Yeah, you'll befine. If you want a more sophisticated look put in some Pomade instead of the gel, it gives a nice shine without the wet look that gel gives.
g'luck

good idea.

Originally posted by Street Philosopher
is it me or has the bottom dropped out on the average iq of this place in the last few days?

At first glance, I agreed with you on this, but then I thought, hey, there have been multiple, long threads focusing on (mostly) women's attire for interview (skirts vs. pants, make-up vs. no make-up, heels vs. sensible shoes). Why shouldn't a guy feel free to ask for the same sort of advice, without having his intelligence insulted?

But I do have to say that the camaraderie I felt last year on SDN seems a little lacking this year. :( Seems like there aren't as many on-going discussions and people feeling like they're with family here. Just my $.02 (for the record, first time I've ever said that;) ). Of course, we had the whole AMCAS debacle to bond over last year.

Originally posted by SMW
At first glance, I agreed with you on this, but then I thought, hey, there have been multiple, long threads focusing on (mostly) women's attire for interview (skirts vs. pants, make-up vs. no make-up, heels vs. sensible shoes). Why shouldn't a guy feel free to ask for the same sort of advice, without having his intelligence insulted?

Yeah, it was a legitimate question. I mean, at least he didn't ask about erections...

-RA

Hey Guys,

If you need mega hold, remember "Something @ Mary"!! Plus, it's free & organic!!! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Originally posted by SMW
Why shouldn't a guy feel free to ask for the same sort of advice, without having his intelligence insulted?

Yeah, I agree. Don't be such a doo doo head SP. Also I think it is only natural to be somewhat anal about everything to do with interviews... most of the people that have made it to interviews have worked for years to get there and now anything they can think of that will help minimize any possible problems with their appearance, they will want to know about.

I've found that gel use has caused hair loss for me, either that or it's male pattern baldness :eek:.

Normally I don't style it anymore, but I haven't cut my hair since my interview, which was in August 08, actually planning on growing it out now. I have really fine, dry hair so I've found that either Vaseline or Aquaphor work well for styling it.

In my rock and roll mode, I just jump in my car after taking a shower and dressing up, drive around for 20 minutes with all the windows open, and that usually gives me what I want for my hair.

Members don't see this ad :)
I love it! A resurrection of a thread from 6 years ago, is that a record?

How do you find these threads anyway? Do you just get bored and come on SDN and type in "gel your hair" and see what comes up?:laugh:

How do you find these threads anyway? Do you just get bored and come on SDN and type in "gel your hair" and see what comes up?:laugh:
LOL what a random thread to resurrect!

The past 6 years has seem some incredible advances in hair technology. With minor exception, gel is for high school.

forming.jpg

The past 6 years has seem some incredible advances in hair technology. With minor exception, gel is for high school.

forming.jpg

My boyfriend uses CREW Fiber... highly recommended. Makes his hair look pretty damn hot.

I just use:

41vs88GtT6L._AA400_.jpg

No gel, nothing. Gel makes you look like a Ken doll...if that's what you're looking for

P3240463.jpg

My boyfriend uses CREW Fiber... highly recommended. Makes his hair look pretty damn hot.
Yep. Some American Crew, Armani Code, and an Express button-up make me pretty much irresistible. Gel would ruin it all.

Haha I was just gonna mention the Crew molding creams. They don't make your hair glisten or harden like you obviously put something in it. Much more natural shine and hold. Great stuff, really. Good advice from the haircutter lady: unlike gels you want to put molding cream in your hair when it is DRY.

OP I agree btw, I wasn't here last year so I couldn't comment on that.. but it does seem a bit stuffy around these parts lately.

What's wrong with parting your hair?

The barber does a number 1 all over, so my hair is short enough that I don't need any styling. I wake up, and BAM, everything is in place.

Take some clippers, run them over your head a few times, sweep up the hair on the floor, and you're good to go. Repeat once per month or so.

I gel it. I usually keep it pretty short, but the gel keeps it from looking like I just woke up.

Also, holy thread resurrection.

American Crew. Represent.

AtG

Anyone ever used Vasaline? I tried it once and it never comes off. It took a week before the greasiness in the hair disappeared.

I didn't have gel or wax and thought of this. I then googled using vaseline as a styling gel and was well cautioned not to do so. Shampoo won't break the vaseline down. The concoction I found to remove Vaseline on one of the sites included hot water, maybe shampoo, and a lot of olive oil.

There is this gel called ICE, its pretty much like white glue and it holds your hair in any position you style it to before it dries.

I intentionally grow out my hair for important interviews because I think it is alot more appealing to older people from what I have experienced.

Also I would use gel because it makes you look cleaner, better groomed and makes it look like your trying lol

i just put on a hat when i wake up, and by the time i leave the house, my hair is fine.

I should start a full-fledged male pre-med toiletries thread.

It's all about the mullet. Business in the front, party in the back...no gel needed

Wow, this is epic.

6+ years later and were still not back up
LOL, you're always lurking looking for a chance like this.

I either just comb it back or use a bit of gel. To all crazy posters, get your heads out of your a**, not everyone who gels their hair has a blow out and is generally categorized as a dbag. Stop stereotyping.

No gel here. Humidity can be tricky.

Gel or wax, whitening toothpaste, Head and Shoulders shampoo (smells delicious), coast soap, Noxema sensitive skin shaving cream, Right Guard Xtreme powerstripe, Adidas cologne

Anything else? :laugh:

Superglu... can't beat that hold

straightening iron + Schwarzkopf hair spray (level 5)

My hair is curly naturally and combs don't really do anything to it. Straightening/ironing it and a bit of spray goes a very long way. If yo set in a slight upwards direction towards any side is a safe choice.

Hair spray >> gel
especially the strong sprays

Status
Not open for further replies.