GUYS!! I Need your Honest Opinion!!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

johkid

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Guys. lf you have two options which one would you choose? (In other words, which has more probability of getting in Dental School as foreigner)

1. Finishing Dental School in Europe -> Advanced Standing program or IDP
- As I know, The probability of getting in ASP or IDP is really low if I am not well exprienced. (NBDE became Pass/Fail, GPA and letter of recommandation became more important, work experience became more important)
=> TO INCREASE %, I NEED EXTRA YEARS TO PRACTICE. (Not Good)

2. Going to US Nursing school(Madonna University 4 years) -> Applying for Dental School
- I want to go to high reputed dental school(UPENN, Columbia, Harvard, U Michigan). As I know it would be hard if I graduate from the school with low reputition regardless of my excellent GPA and DAT score. Is this true ? or is it only my worries?

In advance, thanks for your replies. If you guys have any ideas, plz let me know.
And, if there are any misconception, plz let me know! Thank you!!

Stats : No green card, no citizenship, Shadowing 2 yrs at military service

Members don't see this ad.

Guys. lf you have two options which one would you choose? (In other words, which has more probability of getting in Dental School as foreigner)

1. Finishing Dental School in Europe -> Advanced Standing program or IDP
- As I know, The probability of getting in ASP or IDP is really low if I am not well exprienced. (NBDE became Pass/Fail, GPA and letter of recommandation became more important, work experience became more important)
=> TO INCREASE %, I NEED EXTRA YEARS TO PRACTICE. (Not Good)

2. Going to US Nursing school(Madonna University 4 years) -> Applying for Dental School
- I want to go to high reputed dental school(UPENN, Columbia, Harvard, U Michigan). As I know it would be hard if I graduate from the school with low reputition regardless of my excellent GPA and DAT score. Is this true ? or is it only my worries?

In advance, thanks for your replies. If you guys have any ideas, plz let me know.
And, if there are any misconception, plz let me know! Thank you!!

Stats : No green card, no citizenship, Shadowing 2 yrs at military service

option one seems the best option.
keep your grades up in your dental school, your GPA will reflect that. volunteer. do some kind of shadowing in the United States, if possible.
research exp always helps.
it can be done.
you dont need tons of work exp.

going into Nursing school for 4 years??? I would think about that a lot before jumping into it. 4 years is a lot.

generally, in the US, you dont do acourse untill you really feel strongly about it. how would you explain 4 yrs of nursing school to AdComms at dental schools.

as far as reputation goes, Harvard is a great university - I will not comment on its dental school. Columbia is great . takes only 1-5 international students, If anyone from the regular class drops out midway.
U mich is good. heard only good things about it.
UPenn is nice too. research work at Upenn will give you an advantage.

Research well on universities and find out which school you wanna go to.