Guyton or Constanzo for Renal Physiology?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted515990

Hey everyone,

If anybody can shed a bit of light as to how to tackle Renal Physiology. Would it be better Guyton or Constanzo for Renal? I've looked upon threads but cannot find anything specific. Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards!

Members don't see this ad.

I think Guyton is a bit better, but much bigger. If you’re going to read the whole thing, Costanzo is better. Otherwise, go with Guyton if you’re using just 1 chapter. Renal Physiology is not an area to skimp out on. Definitely learn as much as you can including NH4+. It has a significance when calculating urine anion gap and which is important for non-anion gap metabolic acidosis. Also what the kidneys do for H+/HCO3 excess, contraction alkalosis, and calcium/magnesium stuff are reletively new and important as well as hormones like PTH, Aldosterone, and ADH. You should have Na/K/Cl and aldosterone stuff done in undergrad, but there’s some deeper stuff. Also review the Channelopathies (RTAs). Outside of electrolytes/pH balance, there’s tons of renal Pathology I wouldn’t touch now, but you can understand what an Acute Kidney injury is and the various types. The stages to AKI recovery shows up a lot in UWorld too. Outline the major chemicals used to monitor renal injury and what each represents. Also be able to define renal clearance and know the formulas off the top of your head. Some helpful things for wards are when to order FeNa vs FeUrea

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I think Guyton is a bit better, but much bigger. If you’re going to read the whole thing, Costanzo is better. Otherwise, go with Guyton if you’re using just 1 chapter.

Yea, thought so. I'm reading Constanzo overall and gonna review skimming through Guyton I guess.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
If you have time, Guyton. Otherwise, two run throughs of costanzo is enough. I recommend reading it outloud the first time. Every sentence is meaningful. It is condensed very well.

Reactions: 1 user
Mosby Renal Physiology was a very concise source of info, I found.

Apples to oranges. Guyton is a text while Costanzo is a review book. Start with Costanzo and if you’re struggling or need to fill in the gaps go to Guyton. The Guyton qbank is solid though, so I’d definitely do that. In short - skinny Linda —> more detail - fat Linda —> even more detail - Guyton.

I'm a pretty detail-oriented person (read Medium Robbins, Lilly's, etc for path) and found big Costanzo to be fine for renal (in other blocks it was less useful though)