BigKurz

10+ Year Member
May 22, 2006
Status
Medical Student
You're gonna have to pay a hefty amount ($130 i believe) for your secondary. That's about all i know.

oh, and its in DC. :)

njbmd

Moderator Emeritus
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 30, 2001
Gone Walkabout!
Visit site
Status
Attending Physician
PHD_2007 said:
GW is my top choice!!!! Any info out there???? Is it tough to get into??? :love:
Hi there,
GW is a private university located in Washington, DC. This brings to mind two issues: first, GW is very expensive to attend because it does not receive state funding and second, the DC metro area is very, very expensive to live in.

GW is as difficult as any medical school, to get into. They have a large and diverse class, good modern facilities and are located in a safe area of DC. There is ample public transportation for the school.

Check out their website for specifics of MCAT/GPA breakdown etc. The website contains good information about the school.

njbmd :)

P.S. It was my graduate school and I was on faculty in the medical school. I was accepted there but the cost was very prohibitive for me. If it had been my only acceptance, I would have attended but thankfully (from my budgetary standpoint) it wasn't my only acceptance.

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
BigKurz said:
You're gonna have to pay a hefty amount ($130 i believe) for your secondary. That's about all i know.

oh, and its in DC. :)
No, $130 is Georgetown. GW is a few bucks less. They make up for it in tuition, however.

To the OP, GW is an awesome school, and I commend you on your excellent taste. :cool:

I would advise you to read everything you can find about GW on their website (which also includes a pretty comprehensive brochure that you can download).

NotAnMD

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Dec 11, 2005
New England
Status
Pre-Medical
Ok, well GW may or may not be an awesome school, I don't really know. I did, however, interview there and can tell you my impression. It was my second interview so I was a little green. At the time, I was overly impressed with DC and even the name GW. The school feels small, almost like a high school or tiny college. The GW hospital is probably one of the nicest facilities I saw; as you enter it looks like the embassy suites lobby. The people seem nice, but I only met a few. My student interviewer, who is going into public policy with an MD/MPH, seemed to look down on my primarily clinical aspirations. My faculty interview went great and may have been one of the best I had all year. This was in Novemeber and, other than being regular waitlisted, I haven't heard a word from them since. My GPA and Mcat are significantly above their average, so you really never know. They get soooo many applicants (maybe the most?). And they interview over one thousand. To sum it up...I did like it and believe I could have gotten a good eduction there. Do I think they're worth the $? Not when measured against other schools, particularly those with state tuition. If you do well there you could probably get a residency in any specialty, which is true of almost all US MD programs. But they are focussed on primay care, which typically ensures less $ and doesn't warrant their hefty price tag. If you love it, can afford it, and by some miracle get accepted, GW will be great for you! Good luck, but keep an open mind.

tacrum43

Behold the mighty echidna
10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Oct 19, 2004
Seattle, WA
Status
Resident [Any Field]
NotAnMD said:
The school feels small, almost like a high school or tiny college.
But they have one of the larger medical school class sizes, plus over 20,000 students at the university in total. It felt small to me too at first, but I realized that was because you only see a tiny part of the university campus during your interview day since the medical school is only on the far northwest side of the campus. The entire GW campus covers many square blocks.

NotAnMD said:
The GW hospital is probably one of the nicest facilities I saw; as you enter it looks like the embassy suites lobby.
Yes, the new hospital is very pretty, and it seems like they made a lot of effort to make it student friendly (with the CLASS center on the 6th floor).

NotAnMD said:
Do I think they're worth the $? Not when measured against other schools, particularly those with state tuition. If you do well there you could probably get a residency in any specialty, which is true of almost all US MD programs. But they are focussed on primay care, which typically ensures less $ and doesn't warrant their hefty price tag. If you love it, can afford it, and by some miracle get accepted, GW will be great for you! Good luck, but keep an open mind.
It is a very expensive school, no doubt. It probably would be wiser for most people to attend their state school (if that's an option for them). It costs over 60,000/year between tuition and living expenses! The budget is pretty bare bones, too. :scared:

But still, GW is an awesome school. And definitely much better than Georgetown. :smuggrin:

TauPathology

10+ Year Member
Jul 5, 2006
FL
Status
Pre-Medical
Not to be rude, but how is GW your top school and yet you know close to nothing about it?

Something to think about...

Robizzle

1K Member
10+ Year Member
May 28, 2006
Boston & NYC
Status
Medical Student
TauPathology said:
Not to be rude, but how is GW your top school and yet you know close to nothing about it?

Something to think about...
was wondering the same thing myself.

reading the OPs post i didn't get that impression.
but no hate, if u have your legit reasons do ur thang.

Apparition

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
May 5, 2002
Visit site
Status
Orthodoc40 said:
Rumored to be serious a number *****.
They actually have pretty average stats. But I think (could be wrong) that this school gets more applications than any other in the country. I believe it was something like 11K this year.

Vizsla

in a lucid interval
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Nov 26, 2005
Status
Medical Student
Orthodoc40 said:
Rumored to be serious a number *****.
no way...but they can be as selective as they would like since they get so many apps.I think the biggest draw for many applicants is the area and the diverse student body

sentrosi

INTARWEB USER
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jun 28, 2004
TEH INTARWEB
Status
Medical Student
Like NotAnMD, I also interviewed there and was waitlisted. I interviewed on the very last interview day of the season for them.

The medical area is a small part of the campus. Some other interviewers were interested, so they told us about some other places around the school that med students might be interested in (like the Gym). So I'm sure you won't be cramped if you choose not to be. Plus, most med schools have small class size...smaller than my high school even (much much smaller)...so I feel like most would be high school like to some degree (everyone taking the same classes, blah blah).

I was favorably impressed anyway. They have really nice facilities and most people that I talked to seemed to like it.

medstylee

1K Member
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2003
www.mdapplicants.com
Status
Resident [Any Field]
i think one of the things that gw really looks for in its applicants is interesting life experiences (international, community service, etc) - not just the run of the mill 6-month ER volunteer stint. just from talking to a number of my soon-to-be classmates, as well as upperclassmen, it seems like everyone has done all this unique, meaningful stuff. i must have somehow slipped through the cracks, heh. :laugh: anyway, that might be one of the means they use to narrow down their gargantuan applicant pool of 10,000+ (which is why, on a purely numbers basis, gw admission seems so arbitrary to many sdn-ers).

to the OP, just go to their website and check out the program. although, if you claim it's your "top choice," you must have already done that (?) a new optional program just started this past year, and it's something a lot of gw students are enjoying and taking advantage of - the track programs. here's a link where you can read about them.

http://www.gwumc.edu/smhs/students/opportunities/programs.htm

other than that, poke around the rest of the website. pm some current gw students - there are a number of them that have posted in the gw class of 2010 thread over in allopathic. best of luck.

OP
PHD_2007

PHD_2007

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2005
GA Resident, Show Me State Attending- Mizzou
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Thanks for all of the positive responses!!!! I do not need anyone to write my secondary essay for me....its already submitted. :)
Thanks NJBMD for your advice on this thread as well as the African American Females thread. I appreciate it!!!!

Ok back to working on my dissertation. :)

OP
PHD_2007

PHD_2007

10+ Year Member
7+ Year Member
Jan 29, 2005
GA Resident, Show Me State Attending- Mizzou
Status
Resident [Any Field]
Oh thanks Medstylee. I do know the "run of the mill" stuff about GW that is located in the brochure. Also, I know about the decelerated program (5 years) as well as ISCOPES ( which attracted me to the school).

Again thanks Medstylee... I am applying as a non-tradtional student.
Currently, I'm finishing my PhD in Heart Development and I am an adjunct professor at a local community college. Also, I have loads of clinical experience.... I'm not the 6 month ER lady. LOL I'm hoping that my experience will help me to get into medical school Although the price tag is huge... I'm committed to attending because it is my first choice.

Is it ok to PM you if I have more questions?