GW vs. Emory- Global Health

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

healthfreak

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all,

I have basically narrowed my list for MPH this fall to Emory and GWU. With an interest in Global Health Policy (specifically maternal and child health), both schools seem to have incredibly interesting courses within these tracks.

I haven't heard too much on this board about the MPH at GW- Any thoughts?

GW offers a 6 month practicum abroad while Emory does not, which is very attractive to me in terms of leaning towards GW. That said, DC is a great place for employment post graduation in the global health policy realm due to location. Is that enough reason to pick GW over Emory?

Thanks in advance and good luck too all during this nerve wracking decision-making time!:love:

Members don't see this ad.

Hello all,

I have basically narrowed my list for MPH this fall to Emory and GWU. With an interest in Global Health Policy (specifically maternal and child health), both schools seem to have incredibly interesting courses within these tracks.

I haven't heard too much on this board about the MPH at GW- Any thoughts?

GW offers a 6 month practicum abroad while Emory does not, which is very attractive to me in terms of leaning towards GW. That said, DC is a great place for employment post graduation in the global health policy realm due to location. Is that enough reason to pick GW over Emory?

Thanks in advance and good luck too all during this nerve wracking decision-making time!:love:

definitely emory if you're not offered any scholarship for gwu. have you checked the costs of gwu? it's absolutely crazy to think that a public health program would have an "estimated" cost of 50k a year. even after they offered me a scholarship, the cost was still more than what i'd have to pay at several schools. on top of that, their ph program is 3 years instead of 2 years. sure, that's having two internships as opposed to 1, but really, do you need 2 internships before you're ready for a real, permanent position?

i think you can find just as many global health-related opportunities at Emory if not more given that the CDC, American Cancer Society, etc. are all based there.

just my opinion.

I agree money is always an issue. I picked Boston U over GW since I will go for free at BU. But if money isnt the number one factor, I would def. look at GW, as I do think their are more work options there than Atlanta. Yes, Atlanta is the major hub for health work in the states, but almost every agency working internationally is in DC. But like the other post said their are lots of work options in Atlanta that could be good also.

I suggest looking at what research is being done at each school, and which classes fit you. One thing that I liked about Boston U was that a majority of classes are offered after 5pm, making it easier to keep a job.

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a ton of opportunities in Global Health Policy in Atlanta....CDC, CARE, Global Health Action, and several others all have headquarters in Atlanta.....and the Global Health Program is HIGHLY respected whereas GWs is not as well respected. Emory is strong in Maternal Child as well.

But, there are a lot of opportunities in DC as well.

Emory offiers students funding for a summer experience abroad called the Global Field Experience. I took 4.5 months that summer and got a full time job abroad as a result. I now live in Peru. I have some peevs about Emory, but all in all I think it is a great school and from everyone I speak to, much better that GW.

If you have any specific questions about Emory feel free to PM me. I did Epidemiology, Infectious Disease but always with a Global swing

DO NOT ATTEND GWU! I graduated from the MPH/MA program in 2007. While the MA at the Eliott School was fabulous the MPH program is horrific. Horrible professors, disorgznized and to top it off I'm 70,000 in debt. I could have went to med school for the same price. Sure I have an okay job now and had the opportunity to go to Thailand, but it was still a horrible horriblre program. If you know you want to do global health it's not the place to go.

Hi Indigo, did the school help to get u a job? is it hard to pay off your loan? I heard it was disorganized for the GH program from another frnd, but I feel the job payoff is good worth it... If you can expand, I would appreciated it. Thank you.

Definitely do Emory. It's a better school overall (I know folks who have graduated from each and would confirm this), and aside from the significant cost advantage, I am certain that you would have more opportunities for interesting global health work at Emory.