GWU or Emory IM Away Rotation

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

bubblez128

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello all!

Has anyone done an away rotation at either GWU or Emory? I am trying to decide between the two, and would love some input. In particular, do these schools guarantee an interview to all visiting students?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know if either grant an interview. You should go to whichever you are more interested in for residency. Would you rather be in DC or the south?

I don't know if either grant an interview. You should go to whichever you are more interested in for residency. Would you rather be in DC or the south?

Haha. Interesting how Atlanta, one of the major cities in America, gets lumped in as "the south". As if everything from Texas to Virginia is the exactly the same.

To the OP, Emory is a better IM program than GWU. No interviews are guaranteed for any away rotation that I'm aware of.

Members don't see this ad :)
GW student here, what rotation are you planning on doing at GW?

I went to undergrad at Emory, and would love the opportunity to be back in Atlanta. But, at the same time, I feel I would be equally happy in DC. That's why making the decision about these aways is so difficult.

To the GW student - I got offered Geriatrics/Palliative Care. Any input on the rotation? Also, are the GW IM residents pretty happy with the program?

Some of the Geriatric people are very old. But I guess that makes sense right? And they are great. They have to be . They practically take care of Congress. The Geri people also have a ton of pull since they've been on faculty for 20+yrs, so I'm sure a letter or even phone call from them to the IM chairman inks you an interview as long as your not an f' up. Personally I know nothing about the rotation though.

As for the IM residents. Yes they are very happy, always going to happy hours, that sort of thing. Lots of camaraderie amongst them. If I weren't dead set on going home to NYC I would do Internal med here in a heart beat.

Hey, just out of curiosity - do you know if the GWU program matches DOs? I see that one of the assistant PDs is a DO, but the resident roster posted on the GWU Med website doesn't list most of the medical schools attended by the residents.