GWU vs. Loyola

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

AsherAysh

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Title bout: Loyola vs. George Washington U.

I liked both schools and both cities when I visited. I think I have a fairly clear impression of Loyola?s strengths and weaknesses, but I am having difficulty getting a good read on GWU and how it compares (in terms of clinical education, residency placement, educational opportunities, etc).

And yes, I know that Chicago has the Cubs, but I can?t make my decision based on that alone. :)

Any thoughts?

Members don't see this ad.

I chose GW because of the technology in clinical education and the amazing hospital. I also love DC as a city and quality of life is big for me. GW did REALLY well this year in resident placement... id call the admissions office for the stats. They also have the 4 year MD/MPH which I plan on doing... however the BIGGEST sell was that when i went all the students I met (and i met a ton at parties) were all have the time of their life at GW and loved the school. I want to be around happy people... it makes me happy too :)

AsherAysh said:
Title bout: Loyola vs. George Washington U.

I liked both schools and both cities when I visited. I think I have a fairly clear impression of Loyola?s strengths and weaknesses, but I am having difficulty getting a good read on GWU and how it compares (in terms of clinical education, residency placement, educational opportunities, etc).

And yes, I know that Chicago has the Cubs, but I can?t make my decision based on that alone. :)

Any thoughts?

I chose GW because it's the only school that accepted me. Hope that helps! :)

Members don't see this ad :)
freddydpt said:
I chose GW because of the technology in clinical education and the amazing hospital. I also love DC as a city and quality of life is big for me. GW did REALLY well this year in resident placement... id call the admissions office for the stats. They also have the 4 year MD/MPH which I plan on doing... however the BIGGEST sell was that when i went all the students I met (and i met a ton at parties) were all have the time of their life at GW and loved the school. I want to be around happy people... it makes me happy too :)

I choose Loyola for many of the same reasons freddydpt choose GW. My guess is that you probably would do fine by choosing either school so it might be a matter of deciding which city you like best.

Good luck with your decision!

Laurie

Do you know if non-MD/MPH students have access to resources/classes in the Public Health school?

Thanks freddydpt!

I can't believe you just bumped a thread from 2004 to say thanks! Talk about belated!!! And here I thought someone else was currently pondering Loyola vs. GWU.

So, AsherAysh, where did you end up going? How do you like it? Any advice on making that decision?

I can't believe you just bumped a thread from 2004 to say thanks! Talk about belated!!! And here I thought someone else was currently pondering Loyola vs. GWU.

So, AsherAysh, where did you end up going? How do you like it? Any advice on making that decision?

Hopefully you won't have to wait until 2010 to find out. ;)

Hey all,

I thought that replying to that 2004 message would be hilarious...i'm glad Freddydpt found it funny.

Anyway, I'm at GW, graduating in 08, and would be happy to field any specific questions about GW, so fire away if you have any Qs.

...and I promise I'll get back to you in the next 1-3 years, minimum:)

Hey all,

I thought that replying to that 2004 message would be hilarious...i'm glad Freddydpt found it funny.

Anyway, I'm at GW, graduating in 08, and would be happy to field any specific questions about GW, so fire away if you have any Qs.

...and I promise I'll get back to you in the next 1-3 years, minimum:)

It was pretty funny. So, if you don't mind sharing, how did you end up making the decision to attend GW over Loyola? I'm from Chicago, and find Loyola to be a fantastic medical school. However, I was very impressed by GW as well. In particular, I love the health care policy and international opportunities at GW, the international embassy patients at the GW hospital, the location in DC, the diversity, the clinical training and sim labs, BUT, I'm really not keen on the traditional 8-5pm curriculum with multiple classes to juggle and long lecture hours. I really prefer Loyola's (and several other schools') decision to cut down on "seat time," and to use a block systems-based curriculum instead. Also, if I want to end up in Chicago in the long run, is it a given I should go to medical school there? Or is the flexible nature of GW's fouth year (with away rotations) sufficient to have the same shot at Chicago area residencies? Thoughts? Regrets? Advice? Thanks.

Members don't see this ad :)
Residency programs (especially competitive ones) have a strong regional preference. If you want to go into a primary care program, you can probably go wherever, but if you are looking at competitive residencies, you would have a better chance at Chicago programs as a Loyola grad, everything else equal.

It was pretty funny. So, if you don't mind sharing, how did you end up making the decision to attend GW over Loyola? I'm from Chicago, and find Loyola to be a fantastic medical school. However, I was very impressed by GW as well. In particular, I love the health care policy and international opportunities at GW, the international embassy patients at the GW hospital, the location in DC, the diversity, the clinical training and sim labs, BUT, I'm really not keen on the traditional 8-5pm curriculum with multiple classes to juggle and long lecture hours. I really prefer Loyola's (and several other schools') decision to cut down on "seat time," and to use a block systems-based curriculum instead. Also, if I want to end up in Chicago in the long run, is it a given I should go to medical school there? Or is the flexible nature of GW's fouth year (with away rotations) sufficient to have the same shot at Chicago area residencies? Thoughts? Regrets? Advice? Thanks.

I hope the process is going well. I know it is not always figuring out what the reality is about several different options.

About the 9-5 curriculum vs. Loyola's "out of seat time:" what is better for you really depends on your learning style. What I can tell you is that GW does have a significant amount of class time the first two years. Some of the courses are very well taught, and some need some work, so many students here choose to study on their own anyway, so in that case the 9-5 thing might not be a big deal if you study well on your own. Blocks vs multiple classes is a learning style decision as well. I think I may have preferred blocks if I could do it over again. During the first two years we have clinical shadowing, which was helpful...I'm not sure you'll see a lot of international embassy patients, but admittedly I've had a a few of patients over the last 3 years who were in congress or international embassy patients, and I was once kicked out of clinic because "a kennedy" was having an office apt...and my friend was kicked out of the ER because VP Dick C was coming in for an emergency. The 3rd year at GW was a great learning experience for me, I feel like you would get great training, but I don't know how it would compare to other schools. As far as the location and health policy...there are a lot of great opportunities, but only if you take advantage of it. For example, they have a "track system" where you can do some health policy work, and also there are offices to get jobs in between your 1st and 2nd year during the summer, and there are lots of interesting conferences going on in the city. I've got some good health policy teaching from my MPH program, but you could get it other ways. The population of patients here is diverse...with a good amount of international patients as in DC has a big immigrant population, and sometimes at children's hospital people travel from far away to be treated at GW. The GW medical class is diverse as well, but more so racially than economically. Finally, I don't know what to tell you about moving back to chicago...i'm not sure how much the "regionality" issue comes into play, but I can tell you that if you want you'll have some time during 4th year to take away electives.

Overall, I'd give the first 2 years a B or B-, the third year an A-, and the location an A, but partially because I'm an MPH student too and I like the political aspect a bit.

I hope that helps....ask any other Qs if you want.

Wow, AA, thanks! That's some excellent information about GW. And you are confirming that I would probably do better with a curriculum more like Loyola's. Then again, I wonder how much the first two years are really important. I know I'd be happier with a "less lecture/seat time" schedule and a block system, but in the long run, I figure we do all end up learning the same information. Hrm. The health care policy track and the amazing DC opportunities related to that are definitely the biggest draw for me regarding GW. (I don't want to take a full year to do an MPH). I guess I'll ponder some of this and get back to you with more questions in the future. I'll also start asking around some more about how much regionality goes into the mix for residency considerations, or if spending rotations during your fourth year in an area is sufficient.

Thanks for your input too, driz, but what is the basis of your advice? Not doubting it, just curious.

Does GW (still?) do a 4-year MD/MPH? The information I am finding on-line is about a 5-year program.

Does GW (still?) do a 4-year MD/MPH? The information I am finding on-line is about a 5-year program.

When I interviewed at GW they only mentioned 5 years for an MD/MPH. Otherwise, you can do the health care policy track, but that's not a degree - more like a "minor". I do recall that Tulane and Tufts have 4 year MD/MPH programs, which you may already know about.

My info on residencies is from fam/friends and their experiences. Match lists will give you some sense of this, but not a complete one b/c they wont tell you what ppls ranks of their programs were. Many residency programs favor their own students or reserve spots for them. Even if you are a superstar candidate, you cant pick your landing spot. That said, if your desired landing spot is at your home hosp, your chances will be a lot higher.

Wow, AA, thanks! That's some excellent information about GW. And you are confirming that I would probably do better with a curriculum more like Loyola's. Then again, I wonder how much the first two years are really important. I know I'd be happier with a "less lecture/seat time" schedule and a block system, but in the long run, I figure we do all end up learning the same information. Hrm. The health care policy track and the amazing DC opportunities related to that are definitely the biggest draw for me regarding GW. (I don't want to take a full year to do an MPH). I guess I'll ponder some of this and get back to you with more questions in the future. I'll also start asking around some more about how much regionality goes into the mix for residency considerations, or if spending rotations during your fourth year in an area is sufficient.

Thanks for your input too, driz, but what is the basis of your advice? Not doubting it, just curious.

Regionality plays a bigger part surrounding your home address, and not necessarily your school address. I'd also agree with Asher's assessment of GW. I agree that less class time is better and first and second year are very important, not necessarily grade wise for residency, but for your medical knowledge and for boards. I don't know Loyola's curriculum so I cannot comment on how it compares to GW's.

One of the best assessments you can get from a medical school, which no one lets you know before going to a school is the match list. With that said, GW's match list is very impressive and it's unfortunate they don't publish it. But for those in the application process, I'd request a match list from EVERY school you are seriously considering going to. Go to their dean's office and request it personally, cause you might not get it from the admissions offices.

Regionality plays a bigger part surrounding your home address, and not necessarily your school address.

I don't agree with this. My brother and I both grew up in WI, and when he interviewed at UW for residency, they asked him why he even applied to the program (he went to an east coast med school).

Match lists are sometimes useful. I think they're more useful for looking at geography then using them to compare what specialties people went into, because a lot of that depends what specific things a group of ppl want to go into.

I don't agree with this. My brother and I both grew up in WI, and when he interviewed at UW for residency, they asked him why he even applied to the program (he went to an east coast med school).

Match lists are sometimes useful. I think they're more useful for looking at geography then using them to compare what specialties people went into, because a lot of that depends what specific things a group of ppl want to go into.

He got the interview in a surrounding area of his hometown... so...
yeah... just wanted to point that out...

He got the interview in a surrounding area of his hometown... so...
yeah... just wanted to point that out...

He got interviews at every program he applied to and interviewed with 17 programs (267/AOA). He's at Brigham at the moment.

When I interviewed at GW they only mentioned 5 years for an MD/MPH. Otherwise, you can do the health care policy track, but that's not a degree - more like a "minor". I do recall that Tulane and Tufts have 4 year MD/MPH programs, which you may already know about.

All MD/MPH programs are 5 years. All MPH programs alone are 2 years. However, when I applied (in 2003-4), each was one year shorter...they changed the requirements 3 years ago, but I am still grandfathered into the old system.

GW has several tracks....if you want to learn more, ask if GW can give you the contact info of someone on these tracks, and they can tell you more.

All MD/MPH programs are 5 years. All MPH programs alone are 2 years. However, when I applied (in 2003-4), each was one year shorter...they changed the requirements 3 years ago, but I am still grandfathered into the old system.

Actually, I can speak specifically with respect to Tulane on this as I got their MD/MPH brochure in the mail yesterday. And it specifically said that an MD/MPH joint degree can be obtained in 4 years. I believe you begin taking MPH classes the summer before you start medical school, or between your first and second year, and the rest is integrated during medical school. I'm guessing Tufts is the same.

hiya...

so i loooved GW and the technology and opportunities... i am very much into politics and I had no clue I could really combine the two...

thanks for all the feedback on GW I think this may be my top choice for schools...but I have to go back and visit the schools I have been accepted to in the spring...
my concerns are more financial...where does everyone live?? do you live by yourself or with a roommate? how are the long class hours?? are your lectures systems based or just straight lectures with separate classes... biochem? genetics? pharm? ...its soo expensive...I don't remember...are the lectures taped??

Mel:)

so i loooved GW and the technology and opportunities... i am very much into politics and I had no clue I could really combine the two...

Yes, the opportunities such as the health care policy track are fairly unique to GW. And the OSO is definitely good at hooking people up with summer opportunities in DC after first year

my concerns are more financial...where does everyone live??

A fair number live in Foggy Bottom, but many also live in other areas of DC, Arlington, Alexandria or further out in Virginia. A few live in Maryland too. It gets cheaper the further out you go. HOVA seems like a good deal for single people who are able to nab a spot there. Overall, however, for $$$ you'd probably be better off at your state school because GW's tuition is high and the cost of living is high too. There is some grant money available though if you qualify based on income.

do you live by yourself or with a roommate?

I have a roommate, but not a medical student. It's basically a question of how much you value having an apartment all to yourself.

how are the long class hours??

They are pretty long. Basically 9-4ish on MWF and clinical/POM stuff on TuTh, but most people don't go to all the lectures.

are your lectures systems based or just straight lectures with separate classes... biochem? genetics? pharm? ...its soo expensive...I don't remember...are the lectures taped??

The lectures are audio recorded and there is a note taker service, but no video recordings. Most classes are separate, although the second half of second year is more systems based.

Hope that helps!

my concerns are more financial...where does everyone live??

A fair number live in Foggy Bottom, but many also live in other areas of DC, Arlington, Alexandria or further out in Virginia. A few live in Maryland too. It gets cheaper the further out you go. HOVA seems like a good deal for single people who are able to nab a spot there. Overall, however, for $$$ you'd probably be better off at your state school because GW's tuition is high and the cost of living is high too. There is some grant money available though if you qualify based on income.

Umm... HOVA is a $hit hole... I live there now... and there is LOTS of false advertising that GW deserves to get SUED based on their web site. There is NO POOL, NO EXERCISE ROOM (if you don't believe me, come and see), NO FUNCTIONAL ELEVATORS OVER HALF THE TIME.