GWU vs USF vs OHSU?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DanceArtist

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey Everyone!

I was wondering which medical school you would attend out of the three: George Washington University (GWU), University of South Florida (USF)j, or Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)? Also, what would your reasons be? (i.e. city life, living costs, specific program interests, clinical training, etc).

Which program do you think is the bests overall?

From Washington but looking to get out of here and try something new :)

Members don't see this ad.

I wouldn't recommend getting medical training in D.C., when I interviewed at Georgetown I looked into all the hospitals in the area and none of them really shine! I don't know much about USF so I can't comment. In terms of clinical and research reputation, OHSU wins. It seems like they have a good program there. Plus, Portland is a great city :thumbup:

x

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
I would pick OHSU. It has the best reputation (rank) and it's on the west coast.

Keep in mind that just because your school is in DC doesn't mean that you do all your clerkships at DC hospitals. So that addresses both the positives and negatives about medical training in DC.

I'd look at the curriculum and see which one you like the best, because there are differences and even subtle ones can impact your experienced depending on your personality.

i think the exact opposite. I think DC would be the best place for medical training. The opportunity to treat a wide variety of patients, if at all interested in health care policy your in an exciting city, a great school and just an exciting place to be for four years. go gwu!

I think you have to look at what's important to you. I think OHSU has the best reputation of the bunch (clinical/research), GWU offers some really great international and extracurricular activities. USF is in Tampa, which is fairly close to some nice beaches, etc. I know graduates of USF who absolutely loved it there.

Do you qualify for IS at OHSU? Where did you feel that you would be happiest? Wherever that place is, is likely the best choice for you. Happiness will make you a better medical student.

I heard GWU lost/is losing their accreditation. Georgetown folks mentioned this to me, but take it with a grain of salt. Something to consider...

Thanks for the comments everyone! I definitely heard that about GWU. I think the most appealing part about GWU is the location (decent clinicals and fun city, not so much the safety aspect though lol). USF seems very well rounded. Although they aren't ranked high for either research (which i'm not interested in) or primary care...they seem like they got a great program over there! I don't qualify for residency in Oregon but they do have amazing rankings and great clinical care as well. Happiness will play a huge factor and is something I will have to consider as well!

Thanks for the comments everyone! I definitely heard that about GWU. I think the most appealing part about GWU is the location (decent clinicals and fun city, not so much the safety aspect though lol). USF seems very well rounded. Although they aren't ranked high for either research (which i'm not interested in) or primary care...they seem like they got a great program over there! I don't qualify for residency in Oregon but they do have amazing rankings and great clinical care as well. Happiness will play a huge factor and is something I will have to consider as well!

GW was put on probation in 2008 and just recently got off, so they must have done something impressive. Though, the top two officials at the med school were asked to resign a little while ago. Some turmoil for sure, but it could emerge stronger than ever. Or not, but I doubt we will see the school lose all respect or anything like that.

And GW not safe? Where are you from?

I have no other comments than about GW because I was accepted there and thinking about attending. Just wanted to throw in my two cents about the school. I really enjoyed it. I thought the GW hospital was real nice and shiny, plus you have the possibility of some really cool patients (it's where a bunch of White House folk go, like Dick Cheney for his heart stuff).

The biggest downside is cost. If you are from Oregon and could be IS, that would be a great option. If you aren't as concerned about the cost and you are looking for a new experience, GW is a great place.

I cannot say anything about FL.

I know GWU area is safe.. I was just referring to DC in general and thier high crime rates. Tuition at all 3 are spendy (oss at ohsu and usf). roght now im leaning towards east coast for a new experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.