Gyn onc attending lifestyle?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

SandP

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone comment based on your experience and that of others? Would appreciate, thanks.

Members don't see this ad.

Gynecologist Oncologists are as pure surgeons as a Gynecologist can get. They have a lifestyle similar to most other surgical fields. Not super good.

Reactions: 1 users
You may have more luck posting this in the ob-gyn forums. I share a locker room with some, and they always look kind of angry or sad. They are good surgeons—I just wonder if the work gets to them. With things like ovarian cancer, it must be depressing when the patients don’t make it.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone comment based on your experience and that of others? Would appreciate, thanks.

From my limited understanding/exposure, lifestyle is very good for surgery (at least compared to surgical fields like Vascular/Neuro/CT/General etc) but not good as good compared to psych/derm/fm/outpatient etc.

They are essentially full time surgeons with very sick patients. It's a horrible/sad patient population to work with, as orthotraumaMD brought up, since they have such poor prognoses even if you do things perfectly.

That being said, as surgical oncologists they schedule their cases ahead of time and have a much more predictable schedule than other surgeons. Not necessarily sure what kind of gyn-onc emergencies would roll in the door in the middle of the night that would need immediate care, making it much better than say surgeons who have to deal with appendicitis/trauma/ruptured aneurysm etc. Ovarian/Cervical/Endometrial Cancer can wait another 24+ hours to be operated on.

Just my 2 cents

Reactions: 1 user
From my limited understanding/exposure, lifestyle is very good for surgery (at least compared to surgical fields like Vascular/Neuro/CT/General etc) but not good as good compared to psych/derm/fm/outpatient etc.

They are essentially full time surgeons with very sick patients. It's a horrible/sad patient population to work with, as orthotraumaMD brought up, since they have such poor prognoses even if you do things perfectly.

That being said, as surgical oncologists they schedule their cases ahead of time and have a much more predictable schedule than other surgeons. Not necessarily sure what kind of gyn-onc emergencies would roll in the door in the middle of the night that would need immediate care, making it much better than say surgeons who have to deal with appendicitis/trauma/ruptured aneurysm etc. Ovarian/Cervical/Endometrial Cancer can wait another 24+ hours to be operated on.

Just my 2 cents
I think it's a little bit more complicated because of the culture within Ob/Gyn. In many institutions, Gyn Onc is often held to be the major backup if something goes wrong in a normal gynecologic operation - they're the gynecologists with the best-trained surgical skills and so their colleagues are often calling them in to help with benign disease that gets too complex for a general Ob/Gyn. This likely varies from place to place, but is the general trend according to my wife (who is a general ob/gyn resident).

Reactions: 2 users
Not sure about the lifestyle, but possibly the most depressing rotation I have had so far. Maybe it was just the time period I was on this service.

I think it's a little bit more complicated because of the culture within Ob/Gyn. In many institutions, Gyn Onc is often held to be the major backup if something goes wrong in a normal gynecologic operation - they're the gynecologists with the best-trained surgical skills and so their colleagues are often calling them in to help with benign disease that gets too complex for a general Ob/Gyn. This likely varies from place to place, but is the general trend according to my wife (who is a general ob/gyn resident).

It is very much like this at the hospital I am rotating at. Gyn Onc on call for a lot of cases during the day

Am a fpmrs but worn side by side with oncs. Lifestyle depends on where and how you structure your practice. You can work at a decent sized community program and do a bunch of benign cases and endometrial cancer and have great outcomes and minimal work (of course you’re still taking call for your patients and a lot of benign emergencies, but that can be Spread amongst MIGS and fpmrs which is how it works where I will be starting in July). Alternatively you can work at a big tertiary center doing mostly debulkings and rad hysts, managing chemo and radiation complications and have worse outcomes and a much worse lifestyle (but doing complex surgery). And then there are ample opportunities for jobs between those two extremes everything in between.