H-1B to F1 status???

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gatinha

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have experience going through a change of status from H-1B to F1? Is it true that a school cannot issue an I-20 for someone who is on H-1B status? I've heard all different things from people I've spoken to/stuff I've read online, etc. etc. I have yet to talk to someone who has recently gone through the process. Any input is greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

I guess that depends on if you've completed your TPS report yet.

Members don't see this ad :)
are you on track for a green card? seems that you would want to get perm residency rather than back track to an F1

are you on track for a green card? seems that you would want to get perm residency rather than back track to an F1

Unfortunately, since I only have a BA I cannot at this point apply for a green card through my employer. So I'm just going back to F1.

If I had current H1-B status, I'd stay on that as long as possible (remain employed) and get permanent residency. It makes things MUCH easier than backtracking to F-1, but I'm not an expert.

If I had current H1-B status, I'd stay on that as long as possible (remain employed) and get permanent residency. It makes things MUCH easier than backtracking to F-1, but I'm not an expert.

I don't understand what is so difficult about going back to F-1 status. I have been admitted into medical school starting this summer, and I am waiting to hear from the school's international office. I just thought I'd ask here at SDN to see if anybody else had gone through this process...

I don't understand what is so difficult about going back to F-1 status. I have been admitted into medical school starting this summer, and I am waiting to hear from the school's international office. I just thought I'd ask here at SDN to see if anybody else had gone through this process...
I don't think whether or not you can get F-1 status is an issue. The concern I was raising alluded to the difficulties in funding med school as an international - you're obviously much better placed as a perm res. however, if you have tuition covered, I could be wrong, but I don't think switching is a problem.