H-1B Visa

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

matheuscarneir0

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I'm an IMG from Brazil. There are some residency programs that requires a preliminary or transitional year (PGY-1), for example radiology or anesthesiology. In the majority of cases, at the end of this year, you'll move to your new residency program (PGY-2), which is located in another hospital. In a possible scenario where you got a match in the same year for preliminary/transitional (PGY-1) in a hospital H-1B Sponsor and radiology (PGY-2) in a non-H1B sponsor, If I get the h-1b visa sponsored by the first hospital (PGY-1), will I lose it when I change to the PGY-2 Hospital which is a non-H1B sponsor?
I know the H-1B Visa works for 3 years and could be renewed, but in order to maintain the Visa the two hospitals need to sponsor or only one is necessary?

Best Regards

Members don't see this ad.

Yes, you can have different visas. You can have an H1B and transition to J1. If you have a 2 year requirement, you cannot move from J1 to H1B without leaving the country for 2 years. You cannot keep the same H1B. It's a new application, but maybe the second hospital would be more willing to offer an H1B if you already had it.

Yes, you can have different visas. You can have an H1B and transition to J1. If you have a 2 year requirement, you cannot move from J1 to H1B without leaving the country for 2 years. You cannot keep the same H1B. It's a new application, but maybe the second hospital would be more willing to offer an H1B if you already had it.

So, In order to maintain the H-1B visa until I finish my residency I need to match two sponsor programs of H-1B? (PGY-1 and PGY-2)

Members don't see this ad :)