This message has been deleted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 4, 2006
Inside the tesseract
Excuses are fine when you had a bad year earlier in your college years, but I'm not sure it's going to help when your significant grade dropoff occurred as you transferred from a CC to a four-year school. Even with a strong MCAT score, you have yet to prove you can reliably produce great grades in upper-level science classes. I'd rethink the postbac.

Further, your clinical experience, which apparently includes your shadowing hours is on the sparse side compared to most applicants. Your research is the minimum, but at least you have some. Your leadership looks good, though, and you have teaching, mentoring, sport, and interesting experiences abroad. The competitive debate activity is different. Fluency in multiple languages would help you especially if you have medical vocabulary.

Overall, though, I don't think you're ready to apply at this time. I won't tell you not to try, but if you do engage in an expensive application season, I'd suggest you resume taking classes and get more clinical experience, using those activities to give pertinent data in update letters sent through the application year, to sway adcomms postiviely if they're on the cusp.

bravofleet4

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Jan 17, 2009
Status
Medical Student
it's called a bump :thumbdown:. don't repost your entire post.

Apr 4, 2010
Status
Pre-Medical
No they definitely do not take into account how difficult your school's chem major is. They may look at what classes you took though. The only thing that I see that you are missing are leadership positions. Do you have any or did you forget to list them?

Apr 4, 2010
Searcy, Arkansas
Status
Pre-Medical
It should be going up and not down. I had excuses during freshman year for getting 1 C in a choir class. You can still apply to medical school! Just apply broadly. Out of State?

Drrrrrr. Celty

Osteo Dullahan
7+ Year Member
Nov 10, 2009
Status
Medical Student
Apply broadly. And early. But yah, my statistics teacher ( taught at GWU med and Gtown med) said the last 2 years hold a lot of emphasis in admissions. So you'll need to explain the economic problems and maybe claim being economically disadvantaged.