1. Dismiss Notice
  2. Download free Tapatalk for iPhone or Tapatalk for Android for your phone and follow the SDN forums with push notifications.
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

H+ in Glycolysis/CAC

Discussion in 'MCAT Study Question Q&A' started by nothing123, May 25, 2008.

1. nothing123

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hi,

I never really figured out where the 2H+ and the 4H+ in the products of glycolysis and CAC respectively come from. Anybody know?

Thanks.

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Vihsadas

Vihsadas No summer
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Remember that the fluids in the body are constantly buffered in terms of pH. So, for the purposes of biochemical reactions you can assume that protons and hydroxyl ions are plentiful. You don't need to worry about where exactly they come from, but most likely come from the Carbon dioxide equilibrium with Carbonic Acid, Bicarbonate and Carbonic Anhydrase enzyme.

4. nothing123

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Hmm, my question wasn't so much what is the source of the protons but what they're actually doing there (i.e. how did they just show up in the products). Is it from the NAD+ + H+ --> NADH + H+ reaction? Why does NAD+ have to react with two hydrogen protons anyways?

Thanks.

5. rocuronium

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I found this on the Wikipedia site for NAD+:

In metabolism the compound accepts or donates electrons in redox reactions. Such reactions (summarized in formula below) involve the removal of two hydrogen atoms from the reactant (R), in the form of a hydride ion, and a proton (H+). The proton is released into solution, while the reductant RH2 is oxidized and NAD+ reduced to NADH by transfer of the hydride to the nicotinamide ring.

RH2 + NAD+ → NADH + H+ + R

6. nothing123

7+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Great thanks, that pretty much answered my question. In the Krebs cycle alone, the number of H+ produced should be 3 then (per acetyl-CoA) since 3 NADH are produced? I don't know why my Princeton book says 4...

7. rocuronium

7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I believe that is correct, unless it is including the H+ produced with NADH by the pyruvate dehydrogenase complex to produce the acetyl-CoA.

8. Vihsadas

Vihsadas No summer
    Moderator Emeritus Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    :thumbup: That's where it comes from. There's a semantical argument however that the PDH enzyme is not part of the CAC. Meh, who knows. :p