H1N1, the MCAT, & Volunteering: Who's taking time off?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gauss44

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm scheduled to take the MCAT in March (although I was aiming for January originally), I'm an emergency department volunteer, and now this H1N1 thingy is going on...

Is anyone else in this position? If so, are you concerned about catching H1N1 and having it disrupt your MCAT schedule?

(If it were not for the MCAT, I wouldn't even consider taking time off. But I really do need to finish the MCAT by March at the latest to start an internship, etc. Just wondering what you all are doing?)

Members don't see this ad.

I'm scheduled to take the MCAT in March (although I was aiming for January originally), I'm an emergency department volunteer, and now this H1N1 thingy is going on...

Is anyone else in this position? If so, are you concerned about catching H1N1 and having it disrupt your MCAT schedule?

(If it were not for the MCAT, I wouldn't even consider taking time off. But I really do need to finish the MCAT by March at the latest to start an internship, etc. Just wondering what you all are doing?)

Did you get a flu shot?

Did you get a flu shot?

Yeah, how much difference does that make?

I know that the news is pushing flu shots. I don't know if they are doing that because it's the least they can do and they want to pacify public fears? I don't know how effective the vaccine is?

(Again, I wouldn't normally care so much - or consider taking time off for this - it's just because of the timeframe with my MCAT and internship.)

Yeah, how much difference does that make?

I know that the news is pushing flu shots. I don't know if they are doing that because it's the least they can do and they want to pacify public fears? I don't know how effective the vaccine is?

(Again, I wouldn't normally care so much - or consider taking time off for this - it's just because of the timeframe with my MCAT and internship.)

I really think you will be fine. I work in a hospital and I haven't had the flu since I was maybe 8 years old.

BTW this is going to be a common theme throughout your life as a doctor -- patients come in with all kinds of gross things, without regard for your own personal commitments. Wash your hands, try not to touch your face, and suck it up!

Members don't see this ad :)
I really think you will be fine. I work in a hospital and I haven't had the flu since I was maybe 8 years old.

BTW this is going to be a common theme throughout your life as a doctor -- patients come in with all kinds of gross things, without regard for your own personal commitments. Wash your hands, try not to touch your face, and suck it up!

New viruses with unknown potential should always be treated with care. I personally haven't received any information about H1N1 other than the sensational stories on the news.

Note that I'm not leaning toward taking any time off. I am only making an attempt to get informed.

If you're anything like me and sanitize your hands every 5 minutes, you should be okay. That and try to consciously avoid touching your face with your hands.