sotired

sotired
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
this is about a random question i just encountered...it was regarding C2 and H2 and diatomic bonding. it said that c2 has greater electrostatic repulsive forces, bc of larger nuclei, which i totally understand - but what about N2, and 02? they have larger nuclei - why dont their repulsive forces take over and prevent them from bonding?

thanks!

Knickerbocker

10+ Year Member
Jun 19, 2006
Texas
Status
Dental Student
sotired said:
this is about a random question i just encountered...it was regarding C2 and H2 and diatomic bonding. it said that c2 has greater electrostatic repulsive forces, bc of larger nuclei, which i totally understand - but what about N2, and 02? they have larger nuclei - why dont their repulsive forces take over and prevent them from bonding?

thanks!
The classic example is why H is diatomic while He is not. You need to look at molecular orbital diagrams and see what the bond order is. H2 is 1 (single bond) O2 is 2 (double bond) N2 is 3 (triple bond) and stuff that doesn't exist in a diatomic form is going to be 0.

OP
S

sotired

sotired
10+ Year Member
Jul 29, 2006
Status
Pre-Medical
Knickerbocker said:
The classic example is why H is diatomic while He is not. You need to look at molecular orbital diagrams and see what the bond order is. H2 is 1 (single bond) O2 is 2 (double bond) N2 is 3 (triple bond) and stuff that doesn't exist in a diatomic form is going to be 0.
thanks - that clarifies alot. i should have thought of that! :)

About the Ads