Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Dismiss Notice
Hey Texans—join us for a DFW meetup! Click here to learn more.

Ha ha young hopefuls your pain is just about to begin

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by FACS, Dec 2, 2005.

1. FACS

FACS jolly good fellow
    5+ Year Member

Ha ha, I read your happy little threads about how happy you are to have "gotten in". Little do you know what you are actually heading toward. A world of pain awaits you. Enjoy. :smuggrin:

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. veenut

10+ Year Member

thanks darth.

4. mackie

mackie Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

:laugh: Don't be mean. Let them enjoy these final moments of happiness!

Just kidding . . . good and not so good times ahead. ;)

5. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

Hey hey, your status says jolly good fellow! Don't be a jolly bad fellow! :p

...It's gonna be hell, isn't it?

edit: Oh, and learn to spell hopeful =/

6. clicky

clicky Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical

You spelled "hopeful" wrong.

7. FACS

FACS jolly good fellow
    5+ Year Member

You're all going to suffer.... so horribly. Tee hee hee. :smuggrin: :smuggrin: :smuggrin:

8. Turkeyman

Turkeyman Trickster Poultry
    5+ Year Member

At least you didn't write "your." I acknowledge the validity of your post :p. Who doesn't know that, though? :D

9. newdude

newdude Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

care to give reason why and what your experience is like

and at what stage are you.

10. BerkeleyMD

BerkeleyMD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    ur a dork...

11. Elastase

Elastase StanfUrd bound!!!
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Yeah the op has nerd written all over him! :D

12. FACS

FACS jolly good fellow
    5+ Year Member

Of course. Everyone in medschool is a nerd. (miss granulocyte).

I actually remember long ago looking forward to the good times to be had in medschool. Oh the sheer naievety of it. :laugh:

13. Elastase

Elastase StanfUrd bound!!!
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    Na mayn. I ain't a nerd. I do my schoolwork but I do tons of other shi*t... I am making sure that I do not go to a med school w/o anti-socials...in the end a patient wants someone that knows their stuff and also knows how to communicate with them...at least for me, a nerd is a strange kid...

I am also reppin' tha Bay!

TELL ME WHEN TA GO! GHOST RIDE THA WHIP!

R.I.P to the MAC D. R. E.

14. 45408

45408 aw buddy
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    thanks for sharing.

15. kalenakai

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    sweeeeet, that sounds awesome!!!

16. sanford_w/o_son

sanford_w/o_son locl jnky-gota thred man?
    5+ Year Member

ominous voices from the beyond kick butt!!!

17. MoosePilot

MoosePilot Y Bombardier
    7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Young? Am I officially young again? Heck, Military Medicine Forum gave me "doe eyed" back and now I've re-earned "young"? Awesome!

18. Scrub MD

Scrub MD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    One day you will get your acceptance. Cheer up until then. :laugh: :smuggrin:

Just kidding. I know you are "acting" like you've already been there.

19. chef_NU

chef_NU G-Unit
    5+ Year Member

I seem to find that this type of opinion is the exception rather than the rule. While medical school is difficult, the vast majority of students and doctors I have talked not (not in an admissions setting, mind you) have concurred that they are happy with their choice.

20. Scrub MD

Scrub MD Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    Maybe if you went into medicine for the right reasons then you wouldn't be so miserable. Get away from the books for a while and hang out with some people. Develop some friendships.

How many medical students spell hopefuls as "hopefulls"?

21. tulane06

tulane06 Private Joker
    10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Well, maybe I'm a masochist then :)

22. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

haha, no pain no gain. It would pain me a lot more to sit behind a desk all day staring at my boring life in the relection of my computer screen.

23. solitude

solitude Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I love it when medical students/residents/physicians come on here and whine about how crappy life as a doctor is. The saddest part is that they actually think their life is ****ty. What a crock of crap. There are billions of people on this Earth that would give anything to even have the opportunity to receive the education and security from the medical profession, not to mention the recognition and fulfillment. I pity anyone who feels the same way as this moron poster.

24. chaeymaey

chaeymaey 1K Member
    10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field]
    You beat me to it! Maybe the number one reason to enter med school is masochism, haha.

25. WhatUpDoc!

WhatUpDoc! The Sign Says It All
    Physician 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    No, actually I do buddy. You see, unlike some other misinformed, "I'm doing this for the money" pre-meds, I actually did my research on the rigors of med school and have some pretty good clinical experience that has given me a glimpse into this so-called "world of pain." But, I will enjoy though :thumbup:

26. Nikki2002

Moderator Emeritus 7+ Year Member

Medical Student
  27. njbmd

njbmd Guest
    Moderator Emeritus 5+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Hi there,
    There are going to be times when you question the sanity of your decision but those are few and far in between. The time goes by fast and medical school was totally interesting and absorbing. Opportunity abounds so enjoy the ride! It is going to be the time of your life. The adventure begins and you are going to have a good time. I know that I did and I am an old thing!

njbmd :)

28. CruiseLover

CruiseLover Member
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    There are those who doubt what they have started in every profession. Why is it that college students change their major so much? Why is it that sometimes teachers question if they did the right thing? Or engineers? Or nurses?

The positive aspect of the LONG medical school application process is that it requires you to think long and hard on this decision. There will always be a little voice that says "did I do the right thing?" But the perserverance will shine through. Why is it I don't see too many doctors changing their professions and becoming accountants?

Life is about choices. And one thing you can choose to do is be happy. If this person is not happy about being a doctor, perhaps they can go into research, teach at a university, or work in some other alternative setting.

Life is too short!

29. C. LaRue

C. LaRue Miss Crankypants

Pre-Dental, Attending Physician
    I see your point, but truly it depends on the day. Some days, I'm thrilled to be learning all this amazing stuff and cutting open a real human body, seeing the real relationships of the cranial nerves and learning all these awesome clinical tidbits....and others, I get up for an 8 am molecular class and have no idea what the professor is talking about because he's mumbling and it's early and -- oh yeah! I just realized I DON'T ****ING CARE ABOUT THIS STUPID PATHWAY and it has only very peripheral clinical relevance, but he's explaining it in such excruciating detail that I have to memorize about 50 enzymes for the exam. Great. That's just ONE lecture. And he asks very detailed questions, so to have a shot at passing, you just need to know all the details. That's high yield ****ing study time right there. Shoot me, please. Then I have to sit through a mandatory bull****, worthless ethics presentation for two hours, when I could be studying or sleeping, then have an extra-long time wasting lab to enjoy before going home and attempting to study for a quiz written by a professor so anal and detail oriented that he makes Rain Man look relaxed and groovy.

You really don't know 'til you get here. Everyone who's in med school says that, and that's because it's true. You will understand once you're in. All of us, ALL OF US, hate it sometimes. Sometimes we forget why we're here and wonder if it's worth it. My life is far from ****ty-- I know I could be a lot worse off and am grateful for the opportunity, but med school totally sucks sometimes. It really, really sucks ass quite frequently, actually. There is no denying it. Some classes I love, some are like torture. I am exhausted most of the time and always overwhelmed. Everyone is. Overall, I'm still happy because I take good care of myself and have a great family and friends, but med school is like running a marathon or carrying a huge weight nonstop. It gets to be almost too much to bear sometimes. I hope medicine is a good career for me in the end. The first two years have no purpose other than preparing us for Step 1 (and possibly hazing, in my slightly jaded opinion) so maybe when that's over, I'll like it more. 3rd and 4th years are hard work, and you're a total nothing peon, but it is certainly more similar to real "doctor" work, so I'm looking forward to that.

Most of us who sound bitter are having a bad day/week/semester and just want all of you who are coming in next year to really think about what you're getting into. It is MISERABLE sometimes, and you end up in a crapton of debt, so you really have to be sure this is what you want. Some of the bitter ones are realizing that they made a bad decision, but they're already in a bunch of debt. It's a horrible situation to be in, I'm sure. Really consider this decision, everyone. Do some shadowing, talk to some doctors, examine your interests. If you aren't right for medicine, med school and residency will be a nightmare for you; you're in for at least 7 years of torture, then a lifetime of a career you hate. We just want what's best for you -- and for us, because we don't want bitter, unhappy, pissy colleagues everywhere.

Good luck to everyone. Overall, I'm glad to be here, and I think I'm going to love being a physician.

30. anystream

anystream Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I was watching that Tyra Banks show and all of the models were complaining about how hard they work and what a tough job it is! I was like huh? I think the real reason behind that is that they are young, and this is their first job, so of course its more difficult than watching tv all day or getting your hair done. I think the same can be said for a lot of med students coming out of college- med school is tough, but so are most jobs, and hopefully its countered by the excitement you have for the work.

31. -Goose-

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I read this study (i'll try and dig up a link for you... or at least a reference) that medical students' and residents' level of happiness/contentness with thier chosen career path goes something like this (numbers obviously fudged, but you get the idea ;) )

Day 1, M1: 10 (very happy)
    M2: 8.2
    M3: 6
    M4: 5

INTERN (PGY1): 2
    PGY2: 4
    PGY3: 5

Post-Residency: high again

the rationale is that when you're doing the most grunt work, you are more likely to 'not see the forest for the trees'... after things calm down, you can reflect on your work and you see that its really 'all good'...

I think this guy posts on the surgery forum, so my guess is he's an intern (or something along those lines)... not to mention, his callsign (or whatever you want to call it), FACS, definitely gives away his interest in surgery (totally brutal residency) (which i'm interested in, so here's to possibly being disgruntled in about 5 years)....

so remember this guy's (or gal's) perspective.

32. sanford_w/o_son

sanford_w/o_son locl jnky-gota thred man?
    5+ Year Member

:laugh:

33. Syranope2

Syranope2 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

I'm sorry, I just found this reply funny, maybe because I was in the same situation a few years ago. I'm an MS2 right now, and there is no way in the world I knew what I was getting in for. I thought I knew. I, too, did "research on the rigors of med school." Research all you want, but I promise you that you have no clue what it's like until you're here. Yeah, I'd heard about how difficult medical school could be and how everybody hates to be there sometimes, so I anticipated it. But I couldn't have guessed what it was really like.

That said, there is no place I'd rather be at this point in my life than right here.

34. WhatUpDoc!

WhatUpDoc! The Sign Says It All

Attending Physician
    Wow... well burst my bubble why don't ya. Oh well, I still feel I won't be totally blindsided, but I stand to be corrected in a few months.

35. jbrice1639

jbrice1639 Cub Fan, Bud Man
    5+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    what the hell? is this joker trying to convince us med school is hard? what a crock of.....well you know...us pre-meds know better...it's gonna be a cakewalk...a little dissection, a little reading once or twice a week...no biggie...

of course i'm kidding, but thanks mr. or ms. med student for enlightening us that med school school will be so painful. we had no idea. on that note, i'm f***ing stoked that have "gotten in" :p

36. erin682

erin682 Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician

Hey modeling would be really hard. If you had a rotten day like I just did (took a rotten test that the whole class did poorly on) you couldn't come home and binge on chocolate cookie dough ice cream like I'm doing right now. That is you couldn't with out throwing up afterwards.

37. QofQuimica

QofQuimica Seriously, dude, I think you're overreacting....
    Administrator Physician PhD Faculty Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

Fellow [Any Field], Attending Physician
    Modeling actually *is* a lot of work; it's not mentally exhausting like studying, but it is definitely physically exhausting. People take courses to learn how to do it (how to stand, how to walk, how to talk, how to apply makeup and do your hair, what to do with your hands, how to show off the clothes, how to pout sexily, etc.) It is surprisingly difficult to come up with pose after pose during a five minute shoot, let alone keep it up all day. Even less formal modeling, like for art classes, is tiring b/c you have to hold the same position for 15 or 20 minutes without moving.

That being said, I do think that medical school will be tougher, because it's very mentally challenging on top of being physically exhausting. And you can sign me up for the masochist club. :p If med school were easy, what would be the point of doing it?

38. Casey James

Casey James Member
    5+ Year Member

You bastard! Let them languish in their glory. The misery will begin soon enough for them. :(

39. Casey James

Casey James Member
    5+ Year Member

Hey spelling boy, you posted this twice??? What kind of damn sadist areyou. :mad:

40. -Goose-

10+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    whoa.

you've got some issues, dude.

41. justskipee

justskipee Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Ha ha, funny funny. Its so true.

42. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    Bring it. I'm looking forward to the pain......

43. Sebastian.

Sebastian. Member
    5+ Year Member

44. ShyRem

ShyRem I need more coffee.
    Physician Moderator Emeritus 10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    I repeat: bring it.

45. werd

werd Senior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    us med students are a bit down right now because it's exam time coming up; don't let it get to you. at least at my school, the good times still roll at med school. not to give the wrong impression though, each exam i'm coming up to is about twice the size of a college final, and only 6 weeks to learn it = yar.

46. Psycho Doctor

Psycho Doctor *** Angel
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    aww, let them enjoy their moments now. And med school has some great moments, but lots and lot of work...and stress!

47. DemonDeacon

7+ Year Member

am i the only premed that actually likes school the school-related stress?

48. rugtrousers

rugtrousers Senior Member
    5+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    yeah, it never stops.

keep a good sense of humor, and don't think you can rest on your laurels once you've gotten into med school, because then there's residency, fellowship, and trying to get a job.

you will be abused forever. but it feels so good ;)

49. stoic

stoic "Time you enjoy wasting, was not wasted"
    Lifetime Donor Classifieds Approved 10+ Year Member

it's true that you guys will never really have the hopeful, optomistic view of med school (and medicine in general) again once the first year kicks up.

but it's not THAT bad (even though you could find a couple of my posts from earlier this year indicating differently). the hardest part of med school is pacing yourself. studying for any one test really isn't that bad. but the additive effect of studying ALL THE TIME can really get you down.

soo.... enjoy your time before med school and make sure you have something to do once med school starts that can help get your mind off of anatomy/biochem/phys/etc.

50. radioh3ad

radioh3ad march 18th
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    i only took ~2/3 of a med school curr for boston's SMP. yea, you guys are right. additive effect sucks on one's soul.

confidence is great but you gotta also keep it REAAAAL son.

51. BooMed

BooMed Optomist
    5+ Year Member

Non-Student
    It's really annoying me that there are two of these threads.

Q--If things get too tough next year, let's run off and become hand models. We'll spend all day trying on engagment rings, cashmere gloves and hand lotion. Can't be too bad, right?