Hacking website teaches you how to STUDY YOUR ASS OFF.

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Gl4di4tor

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
[this is my first contribution to this great forum :D ]

I just discovered an amazing technique in the art of studying/cramming for finals. Some of you might have already known about this technique which is created by the guys at the infamous hacking web site: 43folders.com. Anyways, the technique is based on time management system where you can prevent procrastination and maximize memorization.

It’s called “(10+2)*5” and here’s how it works:
• 10 - Work for ten minutes with single-minded focus on moving toward completion on a single task. Ten minutes, and that’s all you’re allowed to do is work, work, work. No cheating, because (DING!) you actually get a break when you’re done…
• 2 - After ten minutes of sweaty, dedicated work you get a 2-minute break to do whatever you want—drink coffee, read 5ives, call your bookie, whatever. When the two minutes are up, it’s back to work on the next task on your list. This is important.
• *5 - You’re going to iterate this four more times for a total of one hour’s working/breaking

Those of you who are skeptics, just try it out using the Yahoo widget that will pace you [Link to Yahoo widget here ].

I live by this method ever since I've tried it out. The technique really helped me during the finals and I plan on using it for a long time.

important links:

Link to 43folders guide

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone gonna try this or did I just waste SDN server space?

I am definitely going to try it out next semester. But wait... i probably won't be studying a lot next semester.
I'm surprized that hacking website has that sort of information. But it's nice.

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this really work? I haven't tried it but I probably wouldn't know what to study for the 10 minutes, because there's usually so much to study. I'd end up trying to find the most important things to study, which would end up taking up more than 10 minutes. And then during the 2 minute break... I'd try to think of something to do to divert my mind from the work, and my 2 minutes will be up. :confused:

LadyxJC said:
Does this really work? I haven't tried it but I probably wouldn't know what to study for the 10 minutes, because there's usually so much to study. I'd end up trying to find the most important things to study, which would end up taking up more than 10 minutes. And then during the 2 minute break... I'd try to think of something to do to divert my mind from the work, and my 2 minutes will be up. :confused:

that's pretty much the way i study now. it works out pretty well cuz i tend to have a short attention span. i decide on a section in a book or on my notes and then hit it real hard for ten minutes or so and then get up, walk around, watch some tv or whatever and then do it again. i learned it while studying for chinese exams.

I wish if that method worked for me. Although it depends on the subject, 10 min wont be enough for me to gather my thoughs on certain topic and try to learn it really well. and when i give myself those 2 min, i'll never return to my chair.

Gl4di4tor said:
Is anyone gonna try this or did I just waste SDN server space?

I can't break my study time up into such small bits. I do, however, have a routine in which I study solid for 45 minutes and take a 10-15 break. It's worked for me for years.

igue. Give it a try.

Gl4di4tor said:
[this is my first contribution to this great forum :D ]

I just discovered an amazing technique in the art of studying/cramming for finals. Some of you might have already known about this technique which is created by the guys at the infamous hacking web site: 43folders.com. Anyways, the technique is based on time management system where you can prevent procrastination and maximize memorization.

It’s called “(10+2)*5” and here’s how it works:
• 10 - Work for ten minutes with single-minded focus on moving toward completion on a single task. Ten minutes, and that’s all you’re allowed to do is work, work, work. No cheating, because (DING!) you actually get a break when you’re done…
• 2 - After ten minutes of sweaty, dedicated work you get a 2-minute break to do whatever you want—drink coffee, read 5ives, call your bookie, whatever. When the two minutes are up, it’s back to work on the next task on your list. This is important.
• *5 - You’re going to iterate this four more times for a total of one hour’s working/breaking

Those of you who are skeptics, just try it out using the Yahoo widget that will pace you [Link to Yahoo widget here ].

I live by this method ever since I've tried it out. The technique really helped me during the finals and I plan on using it for a long time.

important links:

Link to 43folders guide

Haha, 10 minutes? I need a break after 30 seconds of study time. :laugh:

I pretty much do this by default and usually it works quite well since in that 10 minutes you master a few concepts rather than getting bogged down in hours of studying.

But this method suggests that you study for atleast 60 minutes (1 hour :eek: ).
I need to increase my study time in order to utilize this method. :laugh:

I had a Psych professor who taught like this. He would teach for 15 minutes or so followed by a two minute break. His argument was that since we're the television generation, our attention span is limited to about 15 minutes (the length of watching a SITCOM before the first set of commercials). Then there would be a two minute break (i.e. 4 commercials where we would not concentrate), then 15 minutes of teaching (i.e. where we were focused on the television show again).

Personally, it drove me nuts...I would have rather him teach through the lesson and let us out of class 10 minutes early.