Had a huge slip up, W in Transcript. Should I be seriously worried?

KennyV

7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2013
Status
Over the past summer I took English composition 101 along with A&P (at a 4 year university) . The classes went really smoothly I got an A in A&P and I THOUGHT I would get an A in English composition.

I didn't though, I completely slipped up and forgot to turn in a major assignment at the end of the class. The teacher tried contacting me the entire week I was a the Bahamas which was to no avail and ended up withdrawing me from the class.

Since I assumed I was going to get an A in the class ( I had A's on all my assignments,) I didn't really bother checking my grades till now. Now its definitely too late to try to reverse that withdrawn on my transcript.

Is this withdrawal on a English summer class going to affect my chances significantly at DO and Allopathic schools? This is the only non graded item on my transcript besides a Pass or fail on a completely medically irrelevant course. Would retaking the course and getting an A on it offset the W?

I'm super nervous about all of this affecting my chances.
My cGPA is around 3.6-7. sGpa= 3.3-.5. A lot of extracurriculars and internships to supplement it.

Jan 2, 2012
Status
  1. Medical Student
Wow you're lucky. Most professors would have probably given you the F. Consider yourself fortunate in this.

About the Ads

wanderedtoolong

7+ Year Member
May 22, 2011
Status
  1. Medical Student
I had a W in a pre-req and wasn't asked about it once during my interviews. Granted it could be a "red flag" and have kept me from receiving additional interviews, but it really didn't seem to be an issue.

KennyV

7+ Year Member
Feb 2, 2013
Status
I appreciate the responses, and I do know I'm quite lucky for the most part.

but right now i'm looking for a little guidance.

What should I do if this is brought up in the interview? Should I retake it, knowing I will probably get an A on that course? is withdrawing from an English Course going to be a huge red flag?

Oct 4, 2012
Right where I belong
Status
  1. Medical Student
I appreciate the responses, and I do know I'm quite lucky for the most part.

but right now i'm looking for a little guidance.

What should I do if this is brought up in the interview? Should I retake it, knowing I will probably get an A on that course? is withdrawing from an English Course going to be a huge red flag?

I highly doubt it will be brought up. I would probably just say that you decided to finish your summer break in the Bahamas instead of taking English classes.

Only retake it if you need the class for a school requirement or as a premed requirement. Otherwise, forget about it and relax.

Akali

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2012
Status
  1. Medical Student
I personally got into medical school (one of the least competitive allo schools in the states) with like 2 or 3 FW's.

Why the **** were you in the Bahamas during class though lol. I can not feel sorry for you at all. Obviously you will have to explain the W, obviously it is a red flag, and obviously you should not mention that you got it because you were in the Bahamas.

Oct 4, 2012
Right where I belong
Status
  1. Medical Student
I personally got into medical school (one of the least competitive allo schools in the states) with like 2 or 3 FW's.

Why the **** were you in the Bahamas during class though lol. I can not feel sorry for you at all. Obviously you will have to explain the W, obviously it is a red flag, and obviously you should not mention that you got it because you were in the Bahamas.

There is a big difference between a W and a FW.

OCDOCDOCD

7+ Year Member
May 26, 2012
Status
  1. Non-Student
I had a W in a pre-req and wasn't asked about it once during my interviews. Granted it could be a "red flag" and have kept me from receiving additional interviews, but it really didn't seem to be an issue.

To offer a counter-anecdote, I have a friend who withdrew out of biochem, applied to low tier schools, and had a few interviews where he got asked about it. However, I suspect the W in biochem got a lot of attention because it's one of the first classes you have to take in med school, so any sign that a student can't handle it is going to get focused on. I'd imagine that the farther removed your W's are from med school-relevant courses, the better.

OP, I wouldn't worry too much about the W. It's in English and you can just take the class again. Get an "A" and I doubt anyone will care. If you really want to wipe that W away, take English composition II (or something similar if your school doesn't have it), get an A in that, and nobody will even think twice about the W.

Oct 4, 2012
Right where I belong
Status
  1. Medical Student
To offer a counter-anecdote, I have a friend who withdrew out of biochem, applied to low tier schools, and had a few interviews where he got asked about it. However, I suspect the W in biochem got a lot of attention because it's one of the first classes you have to take in med school, so any sign that a student can't handle it is going to get focused on. I'd imagine that the farther removed your W's are from med school-relevant courses, the better.

OP, I wouldn't worry too much about the W. It's in English and you can just take the class again. Get an "A" and I doubt anyone will care. If you really want to wipe that W away, take English composition II (or something similar if your school doesn't have it), get an A in that, and nobody will even think twice about the W.

Yes, withdrawing from science, especially biochem is going to raise questions. Especially if you did not retake it.

Akali

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2012
Status
  1. Medical Student
There is a big difference between a W and a FW.

Yes, there sure is. I wasn't implying there isn't. Thank you Mr. Obvious.

Of note, they were in one semester and my second year where I had an absolutely ridiculous course and E.C. load. I of course got A's in the same courses the next semester. My, glowing, LOR's also came from one of the professors of those courses, who I did research with, and my boss at the peer tutoring center where I worked tutoring other students in those classes.

Last edited:
Oct 4, 2012
Right where I belong
Status
  1. Medical Student

I just think that for a summer English class it is no big deal to say, I decided to withdraw from a class so I could take a vacation instead. Obviously you could not say that for a FW.

Especially during the summer. There is a much smaller window for withdrawing from classes before they show up on a transcript.

Oct 4, 2012
Right where I belong
Status
  1. Medical Student

Of note, they were in one semester and my second year where I had an absolutely ridiculous course and E.C. load. I of course got A's in the same courses the next semester.

I was not saying anything about you. Only that it would be harder in your situation than OPs situation. Still possible? Yes, you are proof of that, but I am sure you know how much harder you had to work to make up for it.

Akali

5+ Year Member
Sep 13, 2012
Status
  1. Medical Student
I was not saying anything about you. Only that it would be harder in your situation than OPs situation. Still possible? Yes, you are proof of that, but I am sure you know how much harder you had to work to make up for it.

Yeah, that was the point of my post :) Trying to encourage OP.

This thread is more than 7 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads