sbspftw

2+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
I don't talk about it in my personal statement (I mention very very very briefly), and I don't list it as a meaningful activity (but yes I list it as an activity and describe what I did abroad). And it's because, (and I hope this comes across), this study abroad experience didn't compel me to do medicine, I was already compelled to do medicine before. This study abroad is just adding more knowledge in a field I'm super interested in (and yes, it has something to do with medicine).

Because this study abroad scholarship is a well-known scholarship, I'm worried adcoms think "whoa he/she had this amazing experience, and now he/she doesn't care about it? Who does he/she think he/she is". I talk about it a little in the gap year section and work/activities section, not as a life-changing thing, but as an experience that gave me academic insight. I felt personal statement is more about who I am.

At this point, I'm just trying to stay calm and I know this might sound like a really stupid neurotic pre-med kind of thing. But I have no interviews and I was complete with most of my schools mid-late July. I'm just a bit worried, and trying to nitpick at almost everything in my application, which is making me nervous. Did anyone get into their dream school being an average early applicant, and then getting interviews late in November and December?

OP
S

sbspftw

2+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Forgot to add: I'm from midwest, with a 3.77 sgpa 3.73 overall from a really well-known institution, 519 MCAT (pretty balanced, lowest subsection is CARS 127; this was a retake of a 33 which was also balanced 10/11/12), two publications (5th author Cell and 10th author Nature Communications), a lot of unique volunteering and some global health, shadowing, research, and a widely-recognized fellowship to study abroad. I applied to 26 schools mostly top heavy, but definitely 3-4 mid-tiers and my own state school. I only applied to one OOS (UMich) which has a decent OOS percentage rate. I don't think UCSF or UCLA operate as classic in-state schools....

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Because this study abroad scholarship is a well-known scholarship, I'm worried adcoms think "whoa he/she had this amazing experience, and now he/she doesn't care about it? Who does he/she think he/she is".
Most Meaningful designation is not reserved for activities that inspire one to go into medicine, that required a lot of time, or that others consider "prestigious." It's meant to designate activities that had the most impact on you in a way that you are able to publicly articulate. Adcomms aren't going to overlay their own priorities on your selections of top-three most impactful, so stop worrying about having made different choices.

Reactions: hubbsbubbs
About the Ads
OP
S

sbspftw

2+ Year Member
Jan 14, 2016
Status
Pre-Medical
Thanks for the reassurance. Just becoming more and more neurotic and nitpicky about my own application as the days go by.

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal

gonnif

Only 342 Days Until Next Presidential Election
Lifetime Donor
10+ Year Member
Jul 26, 2009
The Big Bad Apple
Status
Non-Student
Thanks for the reassurance. Just becoming more and more neurotic and nitpicky about my own application as the days go by.
This is typical of applicants. You are not alone.
The absolute answer is, it doesn't matter, You have submitted, you have no influence at this point to alter time, and things will happen as they happen. Speculating, hoping, worrying will do nothing but stress you out. This is actually the second stage of the recently proposed disorder for DSM-VI : PREMED: Psychotic Reactionary Event Manifestation Exclusionary Disorder. This stage is known as Application Submission Syndrome or ASS. People suffering from this malady have an overriding sense of powerlessness and cognitive dissonance with obsessively reviewing in minute detail of the their application and hypothetically projecting worries, scenarios, and other delusional thoughts based on rumor, innuendo, myth, and whatever other misinformation they may acquire. In short, they can make an ASS of themselves. There is no treatment that has any effectiveness as most suffering it have a temporary loss of rational reasoning. On occasion, these can lead to critical episodes which may require restraints and sedation.

Lannister

5+ Year Member
May 21, 2013
Casterly Rock
Status
Medical Student
You're definitely overthinking this, I wouldn't think twice if an applicant didn't list study abroad as a most meaningful experience. They'll still see it and acknowledge it as an interesting/unique experience.

About the Ads