Haha, I owe $350 in parking fines at WVU....

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

WVUPharm2007

imagine sisyphus happy
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I'm finally getting my stupid paper degree next month after finishing school months ago. They only dole the actual pieces of paper out so many times a year, so you know, I figure I'll go get the damned thing. I'll get to walk across the stage with a bunch of people I don't know. All of them wondering who the hell I am and why I am getting a PharmD.

Anyway, I get a call from the WVU parking authority...I've racked up 35 parking tickets in the last 5 years. That's a pretty nice accomplishment. I have to pay it before they give me said piece of paper. So if the board of pharmacy is willing to let me take the tests and such on only the signature of the dean saying I've completed the requirements without having technically having the actually degree....I wonder if I actually need a degree. How hilarious would it be if I never paid the fines and practiced for 30 years without officially being conferred an actual degree? Hmmmm....

Eh, I think I'll just go pay them. The board would probably frown upon it.

Members don't see this ad.

UIC would hold your diploma. A requirement to practice pharmacy in every state is the degree. It's best to just pay the fine, and avoid any messiness. If you take the exams without the degree and than practice pharmacy, the board can discipline you for practicing without a license, since technically you haven't fulfilled all of the requirements to be licensed as a pharmacist.

So have you already taken the NAPLEX, WVU? I thought that you had and were already out practicing! If not, it's ridiculous that you've had to wait this long when you were done with rotations, what, 4 months ago?

Members don't see this ad :)
UIC would hold your diploma. A requirement to practice pharmacy in every state is the degree. It's best to just pay the fine, and avoid any messiness. If you take the exams without the degree and than practice pharmacy, the board can discipline you for practicing without a license, since technically you haven't fulfilled all of the requirements to be licensed as a pharmacist.

Nah, you can take the exam and get licensed if, say, you finish the program in January, the dean of your school signs off on your academic **** at that time because nobody wants you to have to wait until May, and the board green lights you to take the Naplex then. It happens all the time. Do you think the kids that finish a month late in June wait until that August ot December to get certified to take the Naplex? Getting the actual diploma is a formality.

I already paid them though. I was just throwing out something that humored me...

Well,

Congrats on getting your PharmD.

Now remember to act responsible... like it or not, you represent our profession and it is our responsibility to behave as a respected healthcare professional we are.

I know..this can be debated all night long.. but that's not the point.

Well Done.

Illinois will not certify you to take the NAPLEX/MJPE until you have the degree. You can apply early, but you won't be certified until the date of graduation has passed.

Members don't see this ad :)
Pay up. You got off easy. At my school, your bill would be in the thousands and you'd be without your car (not to mention the blood, sweat and tears I know you've put into your PharmD). A fantasy around defeating The Man is healthy - just don't screw yourself over it.

Congratulations on the "piece of paper"!

$350 for 35 tickets?!

those are some damn cheap tickets. Ours are like $45 each even before they tack on late fees, etc.

and this is the 2nd poorest state in the union! (yes! poorer than WV!)

$350 for 35 tickets?!

those are some damn cheap tickets. Ours are like $45 each even before they tack on late fees, etc.

and this is the 2nd poorest state in the union! (yes! poorer than WV!)

Census bureau says WV is #2. New Mexico #10. It's $10 per violation, anyway. WV isn't irrational. Who the **** charges $45 for a parking ticket? That's stupid.

Parking ticket at UIC is at least $20. They are vigilant about the meters especially around the hospitals. It's easy money for the school.

Census bureau says WV is #2. New Mexico #10. It's $10 per violation, anyway. WV isn't irrational. Who the **** charges $45 for a parking ticket? That's stupid.

What does it matter if they charge $75? you have to pay it to graduate.
It's all motivation to keep you from parking there. AKA the main point

i tallied up over $600 in parking tickets at ACP over the course of 6 years.

never paid, and graduated just fine!

that was 4 years ago....hope they don't charge REALLY late fees!

I actually hit the point of the next one I was getting the boot. I think my total would have been like $120 or something so I just spent 10 dollars and got my plate changed to a custom Carolina panthers one.

I actually hit the point of the next one I was getting the boot. I think my total would have been like $120 or something so I just spent 10 dollars and got my plate changed to a custom Carolina panthers one.

Brilliant.

I hope some day I get booted in a private, non governmentally controlled lot where it isn't illegal to take the boot off yourself. I'll just take it off myself and wait around to get a picture of the idiot security guard's face.

Brilliant.

I hope some day I get booted in a private, non governmentally controlled lot where it isn't illegal to take the boot off yourself. I'll just take it off myself and wait around to get a picture of the idiot security guard's face.

:laugh: How difficult are they to take off. I always wondered if it could be done with tools you'd use to change a tire. I assumed they had some sort of lock system that only the traffic people could unlock. With that being said, I've never actually seen a boot in use.

:laugh: How difficult are they to take off. I always wondered if it could be done with tools you'd use to change a tire. I assumed they had some sort of lock system that only the traffic people could unlock. With that being said, I've never actually seen a boot in use.

There are some that you really can't get off but often enough you can slip them off :D

@WVUPharm2007

do you:
have enough free time and care enough to fight them?

IMHO they aren't in compliance with the wv code (should be on your tickets)that gives them authority to ticket...

Would you get a local judge to invalidate them?? who knows till someone tries :)

@WVUPharm2007

do you:
have enough free time and care enough to fight them?

IMHO they aren't in compliance with the wv code (should be on your tickets)that gives them authority to ticket...

Would you get a local judge to invalidate them?? who knows till someone tries :)

They thought about that. The WVU police are a branch of the Motown Police.

They thought about that. The WVU police are a branch of the Motown Police.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that they are independant... closer to state cops than locals.
but I don't think they actually write parking tickets anyway. Those are written by parking management (or similar). A university agent.. ie they are issued by the university, under authority granted by wv code. and you can challenge them in the county court (or higher if determined enough) (your ticket should tell you the exact court you can challenge in)