sompz

10+ Year Member
Aug 29, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
So I was just doing some Verbal practice with Examkrackers 101 book and came across an answer that I got wrong. The correct response was supported with the statement:

" 'A' is clearly the correct answer because it is so MCAT-like."

WTF does that mean? hahaha, I simply closed my book and realized how screwed I really am for April.

Thought you guys might get a kick out of that.

tp709

10+ Year Member
Oct 15, 2006
Status (Visible)
So I was just doing some Verbal practice with Examkrackers 101 book and came across an answer that I got wrong. The correct response was supported with the statement:

" 'A' is clearly the correct answer because it is so MCAT-like."

WTF does that mean? hahaha, I simply closed my book and realized how screwed I really am for April.

Thought you guys might get a kick out of that.

Yea, frustrating, but in order to improve on verbal you need to be able to identify "mcat-like" answers. This will come with practice. Do as many practice questions as possible.

DiverDoc

KCUMB 2012
10+ Year Member
Oct 30, 2005
The Edge. Pushing the Envelope
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
Yea, frustrating, but in order to improve on verbal you need to be able to identify "mcat-like" answers. This will come with practice. Do as many practice questions as possible.

Agreed. EVEN THOUGH their way different, and kaplan sux to read, I feel I am benifitting from switching it up between EK VR and Kaplan VR. Try that to get a lot of practice and score increase. It worked for me now I am peaking off at 10's. :mad:

About the Ads

killinsound

10+ Year Member
Aug 31, 2006
Status (Visible)
  1. Resident [Any Field]
Alot of EK's answer explanations really frustrate me.

Usually "mcat-like" means subtle. No extreme adjectives, etc. EK really did get super lazy in writing the answer explanations.

apricotattack

10+ Year Member
Feb 3, 2007
Western US
Status (Visible)
  1. Attending Physician
One thing a certain test prep company emphasizes when you're trying to choose the most MCAT-ish answer is looking at the first word of each answer stem. They're usually something like "a) describes... b) explains... c) argues... d) proves... , then they say you can eliminate c and d, in this case, because those words are too strong for the writer's neutral voice (in that case, anyway). This helps to eliminate a few or even 3 choices when all the answers seem to be right. Hope that helps!

PugMD

Membership Revoked
Removed
10+ Year Member
Nov 9, 2006
Virginia
Status (Visible)
  1. Pre-Medical
Im right there with a few of you guys - I do worst in the verbal sections and was hoping to get a lot out of the EK material. While the science sections of the EK material were super, super helpful, I did have some problems using the Verbal EK books. Some of the answer reasoning was difficult to follow, and the logic was not always clear.

This thread is more than 14 years old.

Your message may be considered spam for the following reasons:

1. Your new thread title is very short, and likely is unhelpful.
  2. Your reply is very short and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  3. Your reply is very long and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  4. It is very likely that it does not need any further discussion and thus bumping it serves no purpose.
  5. Your message is mostly quotes or spoilers.
  6. Your reply has occurred very quickly after a previous reply and likely does not add anything to the thread.
  7. This thread is locked.
About the Ads