carol ann

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2004
Status
Wow...what a scam...look what came in my PM box this morning (i'm sure y'all have something too). For those of you without a lick of common sense, I don't recommend doing this unless you want your personal statement sold to IMGs everywhere.

Dear Carol Ann,

I am very sorry to trouble you with this... A friend of mine is trying to write a personal statetment for Scramble in internal medicine, and I am trying to help her, and we are STUCK. I know it is alot to ask, but please.... do you think you could send us a sample of your personal statement so that we will have some idea how this works? Thank you so much and please forgive me for asking such a huge favor.
my email is [email protected]
Thank you,
Elina

elina

10+ Year Member
Jun 26, 2004
Status
Dear Carol Ann,

I am sorry you feel this way, but this was a genuine request. I am sure you realize today is the Scramble day, my friend asked me for help, and helping her is what I was trying to do. Of course I sent this message to more just one person, we were working on this personal statement at night, it would be lucky if even one person replied in time. In fact, several people wrote me back and referred me to some websites, which was enough for me to work with. I do understand your sentiment, what I do not understand is why you are compelled to assume the worst? I was not going to use your PERSONAL statement. And you took this uncomfortable but benign situation and made it completely PERSONAL. I hope this post clears your doubts  (no need for any more help though – all done) Or perhaps you want to see my own Ivy League Diploma attached, we could certainly arrange for that! Have some faith, people!

OP
C

carol ann

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Aug 13, 2004
Status
OK, I have deleted a less polite reply because I didn't want to start a rediculous thread that just kept going back and forth. I am glad that your friend got everything done. Had I been looking for how to write a PS I would have done things differently, but that's just me. If you were someone I knew in person or through this forum, perhaps the request would have seemed less predatory.

Anyway, no harm no foul. I think my response by posting here was an appropriate way to warn people of potential danger - lots of med students are trusting folks, and I didn't want people I've grown to know making a dangerous mistake.

Faith and the internet do not go together.

cadoc

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
Feb 12, 2005
Status
carol ann said:
OK, I have deleted a less polite reply because I didn't want to start a rediculous thread that just kept going back and forth. I am glad that your friend got everything done. Had I been looking for how to write a PS I would have done things differently, but that's just me. If you were someone I knew in person or through this forum, perhaps the request would have seemed less predatory.

Anyway, no harm no foul. I think my response by posting here was an appropriate way to warn people of potential danger - lots of med students are trusting folks, and I didn't want people I've grown to know making a dangerous mistake.

Faith and the internet do not go together.
Carol Ann,
My first thought was the same as yours. Even after reading elina's post....my thoughts are still the same! Shame on you for trying to rip off people's personal statements. I hope no one was stupid enough to send theirs.