Hahnemann vs. Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Dr. Kermit

7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I've been fortunate enough to have two acceptances, Hahnemann and Temple. My boyfriend is in Philadelphia for law school, so both schools are top considerations, barring interview invites from Jefferson and Penn (yeah right on the later!) However, I'm almost positive I'd probably rather attend Temple over Hahnemann. The tuition is about $5K less, the clinical training would probably be better than Hahnemann, and the people seemed happier at Temple. Plus, my best friend from college is a MS1 there, so I'd have a roommate :) The only thing that may be better about Hahnemann is that it isn't in ghetto, but I went to school in Baltimore, so the area around Temple is comparable to West Baltimore. I looked at match lists for both schools, and I know P=MD, but Hahnemann had a slightly more impressive match list. I was wondering what you guys thought about holding a position at both schools under the above circumstances. Thanks for the advice, I don't want to sound like a compulsive person who is about to hold multiple acceptances. I've already withdrawn from NY Med and Penn State and removed myself from the GW waitlist.

Members don't see this ad.

I forgot to mention that both deposits are $100 and applied toward tuition (aka-nonrefundable.) I know applying and interviewing have already absorbed a great amount of money, but I'm working and supporting myself this year, so the extra $100 could go a long way for the holidays and future interviews.

Ok, now I definitely remember meeting you at Hahnemann! I'm really interested in your dilemma, because I also want to be in Philly, and I am interviewing at Temple tomorrow. The neighborhood's not so nice, it's true, but the hospitals complex feels pretty safe to me. I think the clinical training at Hahnemann might be a little disjointed compared to Temple. And you don't have to live right by the hospital. I'll be interested to hear how you make your decision. By the way--did you interview at Penn State? If so what did you think?

Members don't see this ad :)
I think I know who you are aqua, but I'm not sure. Are you working in Maryland this year or going to school? I have you narrowed down to one or two people, either a boy or girl :)

I'm really not sure what I'm going to do. My Hahnemann letter is dated 11/5 and I have until the 11/19 to put down a deposit. I think the clinical training at Temple surpasses Hahnemann and the doctor with whom I work also feels the same. He also thinks that Temple is better regarded than Hahnemann, so I'll probably end up keeping my deposit at Temple and withdrawing from Hahnemann, I just want some advice.

And no, I didn't end up going to Penn State. I withdrew last week after my Temple and Hahnemann acceptances. I didn't want to be in Hershey as opposed to Philly or the Philly area.

Let me know who you are Aqua so I'm not confusing you with someone else!

I'm a girl :) teaching this year.
I am excited to check out Temple tomorrow. At first, I was thinking of not going because I liked Hahnemann a lot. I am also going to Penn State next week--I've heard that the hospital is amazing, and the tuition is a lot less than MCP. But Hershey is far from Philly, and that may be the deciding factor.

I don't want to interject but you may want to re-read the acceptance letter. Most schools require the deposit only after May 15th. They may tell you what the deposit is, however, all they usually want to know is whether or not you will attend. You usually have two weeks to accept the offer and THEN finalize the seat in the class by May 15th with the deposit. Don't send them money until then... You ought to check this out before submitting your money.

Hi Aqua-

I definitely know who you are now! See, I loved Temple when I visited there. I had been to GW before Temple and Hahnemann was really going to have to live up to those two schools. I decided to withdraw from Hershey even though I knew it had an amazing hospital because I really wanted to be in a major metropolitan city. My interest is urban medicine, especially underserved children so I wanted more of an urban atmosphere and the opportunities that resulted from that area. E-mail me, <[email protected]> and we can discuss more :)

- Christine

Both schools required a $100 deposit to hold the seat for the upcoming year.

CONGRATS DR. KERMIT!!!!!!

Woo-hoo!!!! Always nice (and promising) to see a former blue jay succeed! Both schools sound great, you seem to be leaning towards Temple. I have a friend (Hopkins grad too) who is in Hahnemann right now (MSII). He says he loves it, and that the clinical for 3rd and 4th years is second to none. Either way, a good choice though. Let me know how it turns out. Congrats again and good luck doctor!

Ok, if that is the way they do it at those two schools I stand corrected. I will assume that they will refund your deposit, should you choose not to go there at a later date (as long as it is before May 15)

AJZ- Ironically, the two schools that first decide to accept me have $100 NON-REFUNDABLE deposits.

bujji13- Yes, I am leaning toward Temple, but I'm waiting to hear from Ms. Savage :) She normally gives sound advice. Are you currently applying, I can't remember if you're a junior or senior.

Aqua- Where else are you interviewing? Let me know what you decide to do too. You seem to be in the same position as I am from what I remember.

Any advice from other people would greatly be appreciated too :)

bujji13- Yes, I am leaning toward Temple, but I'm waiting to hear from Ms. Savage She normally gives sound advice. Are you currently applying, I can't remember if you're a junior or senior.

I am a junior, trying to decide if i should apply this year or next. I'm also a TX resident, but i might take a year off to do a few interesting things I've been thinking about...Savage....sound advice? She was actually pretty harsh on me, because I told her that I might graduate early this year....She told me that I would need a fulbright or rhodes to get into Hopkins, Harvard or other quote unquote elite schools and that I would basically only be able to get into my state schools at best if I didnt stay a fourth year....(btw , DONT tell her I said any of this - If she was this mean to me when I was being sugar sweet with her, I dont want to even know how she will react to me complaining about her advice! :eek: )

well, she did that to me too when i was going to apply after junior year. she also gave me the skeptical and mean look when i told her i was trying to apply near my boyfriend who is now a 1L at UPenn. but whatever, she's much more, uh approachable i'll say, when you're actually applying. let me know if you want some advice on her, my e-mail is [email protected]. i'd give you my hopkins domain, but it would give me away :)

Well, I went to Temple yesterday, and I really liked it. I don't know what I'd choose if I get in there. I liked the students better at Temple, I think--although I didn't really meet so many students at Hahnemann. and the hospital is fabulous. and it's nice to have other non-medical students around. anyway, i'll email you.