hail at KCOM???

Discussion in 'Medical Students - DO' started by PT.DO, Jun 16, 2000.

1. PT.DO

PT.DO Junior Member

does anyone know if hail is a usual thing in kirksville??? being in southwest oklahoma we have the unfortunate pleasure of watching our vehicles get destroyed by hail every couple months during the warmer weather....

just wondering if i can expect the same at KCOM.....

2. Thread continues after this sponsor message. SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Hskermdic

Hskermdic Senior Member

I have only been in Kirksville a year but it has hailed. I only remember it hailing a few times. Kirksville doesn't seem to get the severe summer storms that I am used to coming from eastern Kansas. Than again I have an older car, which I didn't have before coming to medical school, and don't stress too much about the hail hitting it so maybe I just don't notice as much.

Seriously though the hail doesn't seem to be too bad of a problem. Some appartments, like the Woodwinds, in Kirksville have covered parking so you really don't have to worry nearly as much about the hail.

------------------
    Carrie
    KCOM '03

4. OldManDave

OldManDave Fossil Bouncer Emeritus
    Moderator Emeritus

Attending Physician
    PT. DO.,

I am from Dallas and know exactly what you are talking about when you say "hail"!!! Believe me, you will scoff at these piddly things they call 'thunderstorms' around here. They are NOTHING compared to what we get in No. Texas and OK! We do occasionally get a wee bit of hail; but nothing to fret about.

The funny part is that the majority of the students come from areas of the country where they are not accustomed to the major thunderstorms and/or tornadoes. So, when the occasional severe thunder-boomer rolls in, with the customary tornado watch, they are a bit unsettled...and wonder why people who grew up in tornado alley are not equally alarmed. Hell, I spent the majority of the summer of the first 33 years of my life under some sort of severe weather watch!! Not that these watches/warning should not be respected, they definitely should...but you just get accustomed to them!

------------------
    'Old Man Dave'
    KCOM, Class of '03

Nothing Risked, Nothing Gained!!

5. Rach

Rach Junior Member

Hail at KCOM?

Here is my take on hail at KCOM. According to my fiance (has a new car that sits outside and just had to have some paint work done on it recently...i.e. he is very concerned about dents)...We have had 4 hail storms so far this year. The largest size was a little bit smaller than a golfball. It has been a bit heavy a few times.

Whether or not this is worth anything the local car dealership that I drive past as I go to school is having a "HAIL DAMAGE SALE".

I may not be from Texas, Kansas or Oklahoma...but rather Indiana, but I've seen my share of bad storms, including a tornado that destroyed my grandmother's home. So, I think that qualifies me as not being a "storm-pansy" and I feel that we have had several pretty good storms here. Just last night there was a tornado about 60 miles north of here as part of a storm that went through here.

I'm not saying it's a massive threat, but having a garage is worthwhile.

6. DocGibby

DocGibby Senior Member

Let me get this straight. You've got hail, tornadoes and gail force winds to contend with. My God, what else has the almighty one choosen to pummel A. Stills legacy with. Kinda makes you long for the occasional deer that darts out in front of your car during the night here in Michigan. We also have a rather lovely feathered creature known as the Canadian Goose. It likes to relieve itself on our sidewalks and cars (quite frequently, acutally). Its excessive bowel movements defy the laws of biology (more goes out than comes in). Then again you guys also have those pigs with the horns roaming around those parts (Arkansas Razorbacks). I heard they attack unsuspecting 1st years and eat their laptop computers. It's a toss up.

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited 06-24-2000).]

7. wheatfarmer

wheatfarmer Senior Member

I don't know about hail...but I hear there is a stoplight somewhere in the middle of the town of kirksville... but that may be a rumor.

8. doublelle

doublelle Member

Okay, Lets get this Kirksville weather thing straight. I am originally from a town an hour and a half away from here. Upon coming to college here at Truman State Univerisity, I was told my numerous high school teachers who attended here that the weather in Kirksville is absolutely horrible. They weren't kidding. For some reason, in Kirksville, it is generally 5-10 degrees cooler than neighboring towns. If the progected wind is, say, 15 mph out of the northeast...Kirksville will have winds of at least 20-25 mph. I have been here since 1994. The past couple of years, we have had unusually warm winters..which is good, because one year, we had an ice storm that left half the town without power for about 3 days. Not to mention, it took up the city's budget for winter clean up....so the next snow storms left snow everywhere with no funds for street clearing. Anyway, the last couple of winters have been VERY mild. Now, expect a couple of jeans and sweaters days in the middle of July..happens quite often. Also, from about February until March..you may want to give up on any hopes of seeing the sun anytime soon. It generally doesn't happen. Kirksville has a permanant overcast during that time usually. Another thing that kills us here is the humidity. It is absolutely awful. I am sure other areas have this problem..but is is pretty much constant here. Back to the winters...temps are generally mild, but with that wind I was telling you about..the wind chill factor can get pretty low...leaving you with brain freeze that puts even the coldest ice cream to shame. In conclusion, yes, Kirksville weather is very unique. After being here 6 years, I never cease to be shocked at something or other during the year. A couple of months ago, I was at my husband's office..and we were awed at watching some blackbirds trying to fly to a tree. They only had about 10 feet to go, but the wind was so strong..it looked like they were simply suspended in slow motion in the air. Every couple of seconds, the wind would catch one of the birds' wings and that bird would just plummet out of sight, tumbling through the air out of control!!! Yes, we have dealerships that have "hail damage sales", but I see that all over the midwest. (I have checked it out..they don't really give great deals, either!) The bottom line is that Kirksville is a wierd town in itself, whether you are referring to the weather, residents, or the college population. People I have talked to, we simply can't put our finger on what it is about Kirksville that is so confusing, but you will see when you get here. It's just different here. Not bad different..but just sort of odd in ways. You have people from all over the country (and other countries) coming into a town of 20,000 that is located in the middle of nowhere. I mean, you would expect to have a unique mixture of people and situations.

However, no matter what the surroundings are, your education, marraige, relationships, job, etc etc etc..are what YOU make it...so, hail or no hail...It's not all that rough here. I suppose the important thing is that it is a relatively safe place for everyone. So, for those of you coming to Kirksville...prepare to be confused as hell at times with this place..But also know that the community isn't all that bad. There are even some of us "normal" people mixed in with the fruitcakes! haha! Anyway, for those of you on your way here...have a safe summer and a good trip here!

9. myrnafir

myrnafir Member

Okaayyyyyy. So I can leave the string bikini at home?

Medical school is shaping up to be more interesting than I had originally thought.

10. Researcher

Researcher Junior Member

To Doublelle:

My wife just loved your reply, especially the part about the blackbirds fighting the wind. We noticed the strong, persistent breeze on our last visit and commented on it to our realtor.

I'm starting KCOM in August and we have found a house to rent with a basement and a garage, so whatever the weather brings we(and our vehicle) will probably be safe.

We're looking forward to a quiet place to study with no commute on an interstate or Beltway to frazzle our nerves. In that regard, I think Kirksville is just the spot for us.

Look forward to meeting my fellow classmates at KCOM.

Rich Wabnick
    KCOM2004