Hair for med School interview

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Kingsmen2018

5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Normally I like to spike up my hair and basically rock an undercut with a hard part. For an interview, should I ditch this look and just buzz cut or comb over?

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
It's better to be safe than sorry. You don't know the mindset of those who'll be interviewing you. No one is going to ding someone for having a mainstream hairstyle, but there may be some who will judge you for something on the extreme side. Go to a stylist and get a cut/style that will work thru interview season, but will still allow you to have your own style on your own time or you'll be able to quickly resume in April/May.

Reactions: 1 user
Wear a fedora

Reactions: 2 users
I would advise not showing up with a fade or a really disconnected undercut as that haircut screams immaturity, imo.

If you can look professional and mature with it, then go for it

Play the game during interview season. Wear your hair how you want during med school. You may have to repeat the game during residency interviews....

I grew out my undercut (as a woman) out of an abundance of caution. The benefit of short hair is how easy it'll be to go back to your style after interviews, so I'd just suck it up and go as professional as possible.

I grew out my undercut (as a woman) out of an abundance of caution. The benefit of short hair is how easy it'll be to go back to your style after interviews, so I'd just suck it up and go as professional as possible.

Wise decision. The app cycle is tough enough without adding in an unnecessary variable. Who wants to risk being a reapplicant over hair?